Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the hell do they call it vegan leather instead of what it is… Pleather? Is it just marketing because pleather has a bad name? We've made advances in pleather tech it's much better that it was in the 90's.
Obviously it's not leather by any stretch of the imagination because it's vegan therefore no animal hide. It's like these vegan eggs and crap that contain everything except actual eggs.

Why the hell do they call it vegan leather instead of what it is… Pleather? Is it just marketing because pleather has a bad name? We've made advances in pleather tech it's much better that it was in the 90's.
Obviously it's not leather by any stretch of the imagination because it's vegan therefore no animal hide. It's like these vegan eggs and crap that contain everything except actual eggs.
I went to the expert to find an answer for you. And I learned a new word - portmanteau.
1000024867.jpg

I’ll also go on to say no company has ever called their fake leather “pleather”. It was just a nickname people made up and generally has a negative, downmarket connotation.

Companies often came up with trademarked names for their fake leather. Eg BMW Leatherette which became Sensatec which is being replaced with Sensafin. Mercedes has MB-Tex. Lexus has NuLuxe. Etc etc. Vegan leather is just another marketing term for it, and “vegan” gives the connotation of being better for the environment even though it’s basically plastic made from fossil fuels.

Vinyl was also used in the past but typically as a very low tier option (below cloth) typically reserved for things like work trucks.

"Our seats are covered in pleather", said no one ever. It's derogatory. Vegan Leather is clever marketing. It allows them to use cheaper synthetic materials and still somehow look like a hero.

I'd say real leather is probably more durable, feels a bit nicer, and is more breathable... although I'm totally okay with the fake stuff too.

I eat cows, so I'd be a total hypocrite if I said they shouldn't also use the leftover skin for clothing and furniture. Sitting in my car touting the virtues of vegan leather while eating a cheeseburger.