Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Review by a Hater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From your original post:

Ratch stated:

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Non existant. The flat out ignoring of customers asking for return calls / emails, the random feature yanks and flat out LYING about what the car can / might do in the future is astonishing. How they get away with this is mad. Feels like you're totally alone once they've got your cash, a horrible feeling. Strong brands are built AFTER purchase,

So, they were "...flat out lying about what the car can/might do..." but...but NOW you believe a single tech's opinion about any updates to the MY suspension??

Petulant, indeed.
This makes no sense.

It seems you are incapable of distinguishing between a fact-based experience of general customer service and completely unrelated, RELAYING information here from a service tech, information I neither supported nor discounted, merely shared unvarnished. Or you are conflating the two, which is even worse.

You and others like you need to stop with the tedious points scoring, often misquoting, misguided and incorrect and either add to the thread or move along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me you've never been to California without telling me that you've never been to California.
Yes, as a cyclist who does @9000 miles a year in various states and 3-4 countries I can assure you California pavement is pretty bad.
I stuck with Geminis myself, but just dipped the aero covers. I’m not giving up that much range for what doesn’t even seem like an aesthetic improvement... let alone paying extra for 20s to lower my range.

As to ride, for a mid-year 2022? its ok, I dont think about it much until hit some truly heinous stretch. Your review otherwise pretty good, though the center cluster just strikes me as gimmicky, like Elon was just trying to be different and yet claim to be ruthlessly logical.
What is wrong with $75 worth of parts to give us a heads up display?
And interior quality, its OK. Would rather have BMW quality but here we are.
My body panels and paint are perfect though... no qualms there.
Range seems pretty good to me coming off m3P... its all I need. no you are not likely to get 330, but you could do yourself a favor in that regard and put the wheel covers back on for a whopping big gain.

Yes, as a cyclist who does @9000 miles a year in various states and 3-4 countries I can assure you California pavement is pretty bad.
I stuck with Geminis myself, but just dipped the aero covers. I’m not giving up that much range for what doesn’t even seem like an aesthetic improvement... let alone paying extra for 20s to lower my range.

As to ride, for a mid-year 2022? its ok, I dont think about it much until hit some truly heinous stretch. Your review otherwise pretty good, though the center cluster just strikes me as gimmicky, like Elon was just trying to be different and yet claim to be ruthlessly logical.
Range seems pretty good to me coming off m3P... its all I need. no you are not likely to get 330, but you could do yourself a favor in that regard and put the wheel covers back on for a whopping big gain.

Agreed. Soon as it rains there are potholes everywhere, no to mention the crappy freeways around downtown LA

Reactions: advocate8
I

Is it really that big a gain? Can you elaborate? From which speed does it really impact and to what extent? Is this assessed independently somewhere?

That aside, the covers are a dealbreaker, make it look like an Prius or generic Far Eastern car. 💀

I

Is it really that big a gain? Can you elaborate? From which speed does it really impact and to what extent? Is this assessed independently somewhere?

That aside, the covers are a dealbreaker, make it look like an Prius or generic Far Eastern car. 💀
Yes, it's more than 22 miles with the 20s according to one modest test.
More with the P wheels.

The covers, plastic-dip them black, or like I did black and silver. Or buy black ones off the shelf aftermarket. they look fine.

You can argue with the bottom line number from test below but even on Tesla’s order page it shows a significant difference -- 12 miles for 20s, 27 miles for P, so the test is believable.
The difference in ride and likelihood of smashing a tire in a minor pothole (look through the forum on that) are just icing on the cake for the 19s

Yes, it's more than 22 miles with the 20s according to one modest test.
More with the P wheels.

The covers, plastic-dip them black, or like I did black and silver. Or buy black ones off the shelf aftermarket. they look fine.

You can argue with the bottom line number from test below but even on Tesla’s order page it shows a significant difference -- 12 miles for 20s, 27 miles for P, so the test is believable.
The difference in ride and likelihood of smashing a tire in a minor pothole (look through the forum on that) are just icing on the cake for the 19s

Confused. I have the 19’s. I meant the difference between aero cover or no cover on the 19’s?

Various modern BMW 3s and MPVs etc some with Sport suspension some not. The Tesla takes forever to settle after a bump / pothole which suggests it’s underdamped. And too firmly sprung. Ride quality isn’t just about how harsh it if.
Completely agree. I am coming from Volvos and the ride and seat quality in Tesla is under par. The ride quality on the highway actually reminds me of body-on-frame Toyota 4Runner we briefly owned. It could be just the stiffer design because of the large battery. Can't really compare Tesla to any other EV since I drove none.

Reactions: Ratch
Completely agree. I am coming from Volvos and the ride and seat quality in Tesla is under par. The ride quality on the highway actually reminds me of body-on-frame Toyota 4Runner we briefly owned. It could be just the stiffer design because of the large battery. Can't really compare Tesla to any other EV since I drove none.
I’ll be curious how the upcoming XC90 pure ev does. Looks very promising.

Reactions: Palisandr

Confused. I have the 19’s. I meant the difference between aero cover or no cover on the 19’s?

4 percent isn’t small. 13-14 miles of range.

INFOTAINMENT
Like the driver profile system with phone as key - excellent. Memorising settings as you change things - excellent. The UI and UX is poor however. Really poor. A mess of incoherence and bad design, not at all driver focused / safety focused. If you base your whole driving interaction around that one screen it must be FLAWLESS and it isn’t. Why aren't voice prompts used more? And voice commands are poor for a tech company. Some say it’s because they’re focused on future (LOL) autonomy so the driver isn’t important but it’s poor even in that context. I’ve covered this elsewhere.

At some point Tesla made a clear decision to make it as difficult as possible to logically determine where a setting is in the UI.

With my M3LR in 2019 it was a piece of cake to find a setting. It's a total *sugar* show now. If you are attempting to find a setting quickly, especially settings you don't routinely change, Tesla seems to have determined that they WANT you to crash trying to find it.

(Ideally, they probably don't want you to try to find it at all while to car is moving... but screw that, I paid $85k for a car and I want that functionality. ...or I want Elon to give me $10k back.)

Reactions: advocate8 and Ratch
95% of my annual driving is in town and below 40mph.

Having said that, I’d have no problem reffiting the covers for long trips but they’ll scratch the newly painted black wheels.

4% is a hit I’ll take for having nice looking wheels. Silly I know but looks matter to me in all things.

Do what Im looking to do.. black aero covers. Truly best of both worlds:

Reactions: advocate8