Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.0 release coming in a few weeks, details later today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the good news is it was during testing and no one was hurt .. have they stated a cause yet?

Nothing official yet. A lot of speculation so far, most of it probably wrong. This is a pretty big setback. Second failure in their last ten launches, iirc. Launchpad damaged. Biggest hope right now is that it was something other than the rocket that was the cause. Elon is going to be very busy with SpaceX for the immediate future.

Sterling Anderson (Director of Autopilot, @sterling_a on Twitter) could probably help write the blog post (Unless the NHTSA investigation prohibits him from talking about that stuff). Elon seems pretty set on doing it himself, however.

I completely understand that Musk has much more urgent things to attend to but isn't there ANYONE ELSE at the company who could draft it??
Musk is Tesla's driving force. He takes the company's mission very seriously, it's a personal goal with him. He likes to write the most important announcements himself, I think. So give him a few days. The world will keep spinning, life will go on. Go outside, enjoy the long weekend.

Even Tesla events start late.
At the Gigafactory event recently, the "Remarks" were always scheduled for 9PM, and to my astonishment, Musk and Straubel entered the event venue and appeared onstage at exactly 9PM by my watch (Apple Watch, synced to online time servers, so very accurate).

So Tesla events do not always start late. But certainly almost all of them have run behind.

At the Gigafactory event recently, the "Remarks" were always scheduled for 9PM, and to my astonishment, Musk and Straubel entered the event venue and appeared onstage at exactly 9PM by my watch (Apple Watch, synced to online time servers, so very accurate).

So Tesla events do not always start late. But certainly almost all of them have run behind.
The exception tests the rule. "Almost always start late. There was one known on time event. And investor calls start timely too. But customers, not so much."

My snarky side conflates this with no coat hooks and no grab handles, and three years to get decent cupholders as marks of hubris.

Here's a thought. If you have to postpone a major announcement regarding the future of one company of which you are the major principle, because of an emergency in another completely unrelated company of which you are the major principle, perhaps you have too much on your plate.

Put another way, do the stockholders of Tesla deserve a full-time CEO? Is Tesla too big for a CEO that spends by all accounts at least half his time working for another, unrelated, company?

Last edited:
Here's a thought. If you have to postpone a major announcement regarding the future of one company of which you are the major principle, because of an emergency in another completely unrelated company of which you are the major principle, perhaps you have too much on your plate.

Successful, driven, visionary, innovative, smart people hardly ever sit around with a half empty plate... one could argue.

Put another way, do the stockholders of Tesla deserve a full-time CEO? Is Tesla too big for a CEO that spends by all accounts at least half his time working for another, unrelated, company?

I'll take 33% of Elon Musk over 100% of anyone else.

It isn't a major announcement. It's a blog post that will detail a software update that isn't slated for release for probably at least a couple of weeks or more. Not exactly urgent stuff.

Principal, no, and no.

Prior to the upcoming merger news, the last I recall was that Elon would remain as Tesla CEO until after the Model 3 platform stabilized. Thereafter, one presumed that he'd probably focus upon getting to Mars, and who could blame him.

As Tesla becomes more of an energy company, there will also be new efforts - for example, meeting an entire country's energy needs through solar and wind. Just a question of which country will be first.

Down the road, he can leave the CEOing to others and will still have significant impact. But so far, he's doing great in spite of catastrophic events.

The problem I have with the theory that EM did not release his 8.0 news on August 31 because of the SpaceX disaster is hard to understand based upon time frames. His 8.0 reveal was to go out no later than midnight on the 31st. The SpaceX incident appears to have occurred 5-6 hours after that on September 1 based upon the light sky from the videos and the corresponding tweets soon after. From what I can surmise, the 8.0 news was held up for other reasons and the RUD perhaps simply compounded the situation later. This, to me, says the SpaceX situation was not the direct cause of the original 8.0 delay but perhaps became a belated victim.