Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 Feature MISSING?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moreover, Tesla DOESN'T like including early adopters in all the new goodies - planned/forced obsolescence. They're here to do one thing: make money selling cars.

So far off base, don't even know where to start. Yes, they do want to make money, but it is the only company where I've witnessed such a very large percentage of the employee base committed to the company mission. And that mission is not 'make money selling cars'. The money enables the mission, it isn't the end goal.

As far as planned/forced obsolesce, umm, no. You're talking to a Roadster driver here - and while we don't have the latest tech, we have everything we purchased - and then Tesla came back round and offered up a new battery with more range years after they quit manufacturing the car. Tell me another manufacturer that has done something like that for owners of a car they no longer make.

I get you want your HomeLink button and you want it now. But revisionist history isn't cool, either.

So far off base, don't even know where to start. Yes, they do want to make money, but it is the only company where I've witnessed such a very large percentage of the employee base committed to the company mission. And that mission is not 'make money selling cars'. The money enables the mission, it isn't the end goal.

As far as planned/forced obsolesce, umm, no. You're talking to a Roadster driver here - and while we don't have the latest tech, we have everything we purchased - and then Tesla came back round and offered up a new battery with more range years after they quit manufacturing the car. Tell me another manufacturer that has done something like that for owners of a car they no longer make.

I get you want your HomeLink button and you want it now. But revisionist history isn't cool, either.
sure, while that may be Elon's goal/the mission statement, tell that to the board. Also, if they were so committed to early s adopters, they'd add retrofits. They haven't made options available for power folding mirrors, parking sensors, autopilot, dual motor (would be a lot harder, but still), etc. Sure, you may have a good experience with the low volume roadster, but s revisions/updates/retrofits are practically non existent. Believe me, they'd rather make money selling new MS cars than invest in a good solution for current customers to have the latest features.

Tanner, I'm sure the HomeLink button will migrate to a more accessible place in the future. I'm also sure the engineering team working on Summon needed to open/close garage doors, so grabbed the HomeLink button and put it on their screen (vs. negotiating with the larger team for space higher up on the menu hierachy). Not such a dumb decision, really, just a team focused on their task at hand, not thinking that others would like access, too.

Again, I'm sure it will migrate to a more accessible place in a future update. Easy to see why everyone would want this, whether or not they have AP.

It will certainly be good when it migrates. As it stands right now, even with an autopilot equipped car, it is almost useless. The summon button only shows up on a car that is not plugged in. Which means, if your car is in the garage and charging, you can not get to the summon menu to be able to hit the homelink button.

Sure, bringing a new feature to the app is great, but I'm not so sure bringing a feature to the app in a way that eliminates one of the more critical use cases due to UI placement is reasonable.

sure, while that may be Elon's goal/the mission statement, tell that to the board. Also, if they were so committed to early s adopters, they'd add retrofits. They haven't made options available for power folding mirrors, parking sensors, autopilot, dual motor (would be a lot harder, but still), etc. Sure, you may have a good experience with the low volume roadster, but s revisions/updates/retrofits are practically non existent. Believe me, they'd rather make money selling new MS cars than invest in a good solution for current customers to have the latest features.

You got the car you bought. We each did. We all knew going in that Tesla would be constantly innovating. My Roadster is ridiculously old school and it's still just as much fun as the day I bought it. Your S is better than the day you bought it. I'm sorry you feel a need to focus on what you didn't get. I'm not sure what car brand would make you happy.

You got the car you bought. We each did. We all knew going in that Tesla would be constantly innovating. My Roadster is ridiculously old school and it's still just as much fun as the day I bought it. Your S is better than the day you bought it. I'm sorry you feel a need to focus on what you didn't get. I'm not sure what car brand would make you happy.
Now you're just drawing incorrect conclusions. Still happy with my MS, more so than any other car. My point is just that they could invest in retrofit options if they wanted, but they don't because it's not profitable.

Businesses also have to survive. Surviving is essential to the mission. Are you saying you'd prefer they focus on retrofits, which would be outrageously costly, instead of selling new cars? If so, I doubt they'd stay ahead. I have a classic P85 but haven't ever considered the fact that they should offer aftermarket AP or other features.

If you see a profitable market in retrofitting, I suggest you open or fund a business doing just that. Personally, I wouldn't invest in a company doing that. But then, as we've established - I'm thickheaded.

Businesses also have to survive. Surviving is essential to the mission. Are you saying you'd prefer they focus on retrofits, which would be outrageously costly, instead of selling new cars? If so, I doubt they'd stay ahead. I have a classic P85 but haven't ever considered the fact that they should offer aftermarket AP or other features.

If you see a profitable market in retrofitting, I suggest you open or fund a business doing just that. Personally, I wouldn't invest in a company doing that. But then, as we've established - I'm thickheaded.
That was pretty much my point...

I have a German P85D with Autopilot, updated to 7.1, and the updated app that mentions Summon in the alert settings.

But I can't find the Summons page shown in this post. Where is it? What could be missing for it to appear?

1. You must be near your car with the key fob.
2. The car must be unplugged from the charger.
3. You load the app, and summon will be on the home screen of the app after connection.

With nearly every other car a buyer accepts that the car will likely remain in it's current state throughout ownership. Those spending the same kind of money on the S-Class or 7 series aren't complaining about the lack of retrofits (or even updates). Owners of older cars with auto lane keeping features that aren't as good such as the Q50 (one example) aren't complaining en masse. In the same way a buyer of a 2016 E class isn't upset about the admittedly exceptional 2017 model. They knew what they were buying hardware-wise.

I'm not being sarcastic here, just obtuse, I guess. But why would everyone want this? Your car has to be near the garage since it sends the signal. So it's not like you can remotely open the garage door under any condition - your Tesla has to be nearby. I have a home automation system that allows me to open and close the doors, and that can be handy from time to time. But it doesn't rely on the vehicle.

Thanks for your patience with my thickheadedness.

I have this ability in my Roadster (Tesla Tattler) and it saved my bacon once. Was out putting the cans on the curb and the gate blew shut. No keys on me but I had my phone. Texted my car and the garage door opened :)

I have a German P85D with Autopilot, updated to 7.1, and the updated app that mentions Summon in the alert settings.

But I can't find the Summons page shown in this post. Where is it? What could be missing for it to appear?
Summon is US only right now.

Some of the use cases mentioned above (walking with no keys, allowing garage access to someone) can be solved by a $30 wireless keypad from Home Depot, you can even mount it with double sided tape. I'll gladly trade my keypad for anyone's non retrofitted Model S, let me know. Be aware however that the keypad can not be retrofitted, you must accept it "as is".

Some of the use cases mentioned above (walking with no keys, allowing garage access to someone) can be solved by a $30 wireless keypad from Home Depot, you can even mount it with double sided tape. I'll gladly trade my keypad for anyone's non retrofitted Model S, let me know. Be aware however that the keypad can not be retrofitted, you must accept it "as is".
Your assertion is that I bought a Tesla just so I could open my garage door remotely which is incorrect. I bought a car and got a remote garage door opener for free. See, Tesla just saved me $30 ;)

This is a dumb question but how do I update the car?
The updates are distributed randomly (or based on some logic that we haven't figured out). At some point you'll see a clock icon on your main screen and a window will pop up to ask if/when you want to install. Also the latest versions of the app can be configured to notify you when there's an update available.

Great Point...

It will certainly be good when it migrates. As it stands right now, even with an autopilot equipped car, it is almost useless. The summon button only shows up on a car that is not plugged in. Which means, if your car is in the garage and charging, you can not get to the summon menu to be able to hit the homelink button.

Sure, bringing a new feature to the app is great, but I'm not so sure bringing a feature to the app in a way that eliminates one of the more critical use cases due to UI placement is reasonable.

I just sold my early VIN 60 and am waiting for my new 70, and this is a great point. Every time my car is in the garage, it's plugged in. To unplug it, I have to open the garage. To use Homelink from the app, the car has to be unplugged. And then repeat this vicious circle, because unless I'm missing something, without allowing Homelink while the car is plugged in, then I will never be able to unpark my car. Also, does anyone know if the auto-closing of the garage after the car has parked itself can be disabled? Otherwise the reverse problem happens...car parks, garage door closes, car is not plugged in. :scared:

Summon is US only right now.[/QUOTE]

I am not yet an owner (just a reservist so far) but it looks like the Chinese version of 7.1 includes summon if the machine translation from the Tesla.cn website is correct.

'Add vertical parking feature, the owner in the parking lot no longer embarrassed
Also remember the 7 system, the automatic parking feature has been greatly convenient for the owners of daily parking on the roadside, but the car owners to enter the parking lot but still need to do their own. But when updating the system 7.1, the owner will reopen the Tesla Model s into the parking lot, only need a very simple through the controlling of the large size of the touch screen to open automatic parking function, the vehicle can automatically identify the vehicle next to the vertical parking, the vehicle automatic stop to the parking, no longer need to owners adjusted left and right, everything is so simple and elegant.
Tesla air upgrade 7.1 system
Added mobile phone or car keys remote control function, so that more elegant parking
If the parking space is too narrow, stop inside Xiabu Lai, want to go is not to, such a situation for car owners can too embarrassing. Today, the arrival of the 7.1 system, so that the embarrassment of a gone forever, because it added a mobile phone or car keys remote control function.
If parking is too narrow, and there is no other choice, upgrading the system 7.1 Tesla Model s owners, G in the car, through the installation of a specific software on the phone, or directly manipulate the car keys, the vehicle can you move forward or backward, convenient vehicle in narrow spaces diversion. The scope of this function call is, of course, a distance of 3 meters and Tesla recommends owners in the use of intelligent remote function call, it should be in accordance with the requirements of the relevant local laws and regulations and the safety of surrounding environment responsible.'