Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v2020.8 rolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thinking about it I struggled in the car to get the upgrade from 2019.X.X (car was delivered running pre romance mode FFS) and it eventually just worked but the 2020.4.X.X to 2020.8 was all done from the Tesla App on the phone last night.

I tried again this morning, to no avail. Rebooted the car (with the brake pedal pressed) twice and I'm still stuck on 'Connect to Wifi...' I'm going to move the car at lunch so I'm in range of works WiFi and try again.

I tried again this morning, to no avail. Rebooted the car (with the brake pedal pressed) twice and I'm still stuck on 'Connect to Wifi...' I'm going to move the car at lunch so I'm in range of works WiFi and try again.

I had similar problems at first until I changed the wifi channel from ch 1 to somewhere mid range - I randomly went to 5 and things started to work but someone will come along to tell you the optimal channels - I later changed mine to the optimal recommendation and it made zero difference so its not hard and fast rule - its still adequate though for cars needs but not superfast download.

• Funny
Reactions: rotor2k
I had similar problems at first until I changed the wifi channel from ch 1 to somewhere mid range - I randomly went to 5 and things started to work but someone will come along to tell you the optimal channels - I later changed mine to the optimal recommendation and it made zero difference so its not hard and fast rule - its still adequate though for cars needs but not superfast download.

I feel that that is a coincidental 'fix'. Changing channels would affect overall WiFi experience and the channel would only be a problem if neighbouring networks were on the same channel and causing conflicts.

Ideally you want channel 1, 6 or 11. Best to use a phone (Android) or a laptop and download a Wifi scanner to see what WIFI SSIDs you can see and what channel they are on, and pick the least crowded channel. I am not a fan of letting the router pick the Wifi channel and feel its always best to choose one.

Another thing that most newer routers do is combine both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WIFI and I do prefer to split those, 5Ghz won't travel as far or through walls as well as 2.4Ghz does but 2.4Ghz can be a crowded channel.

If using a booster try and connect it via ethernet if you can and if not buy a set of homeplugs that have Wifi built in as using boosters purely on wireless can slash the bandwidth by half.

Luckily my Wifi is pretty good both inside and outside as I use Ubiquiti and their access points are pretty good.

I got the update notification late last night for my non-FSD SR+ (4300miles, from Dec, this is its 3rd update). Took about 30mins all in all.

Only had a short drive through town this morning and not my regular commute, but overall I like the FSD preview visuals. Traffic lights recognition has been flawless, and now I'm wondering if Autopilot will break for red but didn't have the chance to test. Looking forward to test Autopilot further, there's a few spots on my B-road commute it normally doesn't like.
Bins are hit and miss, it's not very good at counting them (it's much better at cones) and from time to time and it also seems to recognise electrical junction boxes as bins. Bin day here is on Friday so now I'm I've got a reason to look forward to that!

Directional arrows are hit and miss, and it does not recognise multidirectional ones. I'm pleasantly surprised it also shows cycling paths!

Also, the car model used in the visualisation looks a bit more shiny? But that could be my imagination. The wheels are still static and it's not showing my aeros, but tbh not too bothered by this.

Well it looks like three model 3 SR+s have it now according to TeslaFi. Looking at them, though, they are all low mileage cars and, if you dig into them, it's the first update from new for all of them. Still no existing RWD/SR+ models getting this update it would seem

My SR+ (delivered 4th September) has had multiple updates previously and received the latest one last night.

Update installed without problems.

Visualisation now shows my neighbour's fence as a wheelie bin! It showed Pelican crossing lights OK when they were steady, but couldn't cope with flashing lights. I drove directly towards a keep left island in the middle of the road - it didn't appear on the screen. However it did seem to be displaying more other vehicles, and to be doing so faster.

I had faint hopes that the failure to cope with smart charging might have been fixed (but undocumented) so I could maximise use of my solar panels. It is sunny today, here at least, but the car can't cope with variable charge rates and chartging being switched on and off by the chargepoint. I really hope they get this fixed soon - my Zappi chargepoint wasn't cheap! It didn't take long in 'eco+' mode for the Zappi to trip out reporting an RCD fault...

and now I'm wondering if Autopilot will break for red but didn't have the chance to test.

Don't test it. It won't brake and maybe never will. Autopilot is basically TACC and autosteer. City driving is only mentioned in the FSD functionality, so stopping for lights other than following another car may be reserved for that. It is a FSD rather than autopilot preview after all.

Don't test it. It won't brake and maybe never will. Autopilot is basically TACC and autosteer. City driving is only mentioned in the FSD functionality, so stopping for lights other than following another car may be reserved for that. It is a FSD rather than autopilot preview after all.

Yes I realise, but one can hope! Obviously I wouldn't actually let it pass a red...
TACC doesn't undertake vehicles in other lanes above a certain speed so I'm pretty sure it's using camera data already in its functionality. Considering a red light as a stopped car in front would then be a small step software wise?

My SR+ (delivered 4th September) has had multiple updates previously and received the latest one last night.

Thanks! Looks like it finally started to go wide to SR+ models last night (UK time). Do you have FSD?

Still hasn't hit me yet which is strange considering I have FSD, HW3 and am on advanced. I usually get the bigger updates like this within 24 hours of rolling out in my area for my car. Oh well. Back to waiting and finding excuses to go out to the garage to force it to check for updates!

Well a bit of an odd/first one for me. My Car this morning said update 2020.80 available, it then downloaded it. Then after it completed the download there was no message that usually appears to install it and my car now tells me its up to date on 2020.4.1?

Anyone else get this?

Back to waiting and finding excuses to go out to the garage to force it to check for updates!

These days you get a notification via the app when it's ready to go. You will get it when Tesla's servers offer it to your particular car. There's no way of speeding things up at this early stage ... and even if you are left way behind it would require someone at Tesla to to initiate the "push" ... take it easy!