Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Playlist Workaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla USB music playback options leave much to be desired. There is no way to impose a playback order for all the songs on the USB stick other than alphabetically by song title. The directions below will modify all your music file titles by prepending a three-digit base 36 number. This allows for 46,656 ordered tracks.

What you will need:

Tag&Rename Mp3 tag editor Tag&Rename - edit tag in mp3, wma, mp4 files, automatic discogs and freedb import
Microsoft Excel (and knowledge of how to sort rows)

1. Copy all the music files you wish to store on the USB drive to a folder on your hard drive. It’s important to make a COPY since the song title metadata on the files will be modified. You do NOT want to do this with your originals. You may organize your files in folders (and subfolders), but this will not have any effect on how the Tesla media player will perform.

2. Open Tag&Rename and browse to the directory containing your copied music files.

3. Click View, Expand All Folders.

4. Click on a file and press Control-A to select all files.

5. Press F12 or select Tools, Export/Import Tags from the menu. Click on the “Export” tab, if necessary. Note the location where the Excel file will be generated. Click the “Go” button. All the files in the directory should have their metadata exported to the Excel file.

6. Open the Excel file generated in the previous step. Verify the “Title” field is the third column.

7. Sort your songs in Excel using any criteria you like. For example, sort by artist, then album, then track number. If you want to shuffle the rows, use this tutorial here: Randomize a List in Excel Delete the random number column when you are done.

8. Go to the first blank column (End, Right arrow, Right arrow). In the second row (Down arrow), enter the following formula in that cell:

=BASE(ROW()-2,36,3)&" "&C2

The result should be the first song’s track title prepended with “000 “.

9. Highlight the cell, press Control+Shift+End to jump to the bottom of the list. Press Control+D to fill down the range. The column should contain all the song titles prepended with a sequential number in base 36.

10. Scroll to the top of the column and select the entire column. Copy the column and Paste Values to the blank column to the right. If you do it correctly, the new column will not contain formulas. It will be the hard-coded title text.

11. Highlight the formula column and press the “Delete” key. It should now be gone. The hard-coded title column should remain. Copy the header cell from the original Title column to the new one. Cut the entire new title column, and paste it over the original Title column.

12. Save the Excel file and close it.

13. Switch back to Tag&Rename. Press F12 or select Tools, Export/Import Tags from the menu. Click on the “Import (From XLS/XLSX Only)” tab. Verify the “Import tags to all files which record exists in XLS file” is selected. Click the “Go” button. Click the “Yes” button when the confirmation dialog appears. This will take a while even on a fast hard drive. (Do not panic if Windows says the program has stopped. Do NOT cancel it. Allow it to continue.)

14. Verify the title tags have been updated in Tag&Rename.

15. Copy the entire music folder contents to a USB drive and plug it into your Tesla.

16. Choose “Songs” under the USB options. All your songs will play in the order you chose in Excel.

DONE!

Hey GPinzone I had thought order could be done via title, track number, or the file name? I am guessing I am wrong on the file name?

AFAIK, there is no way to control playing all the tracks unless it's by song title.

The audio player switches to Bluetooth when I re-enter the car. Switching to USB does not make it start where it left off. :mad:

Anyone know how to get around that problem?

The Tesla USB music playback options leave much to be desired. There is no way to impose a playback order for all the songs on the USB stick other than alphabetically by song title. The directions below will modify all your music file titles by prepending a three-digit base 36 number. This allows for 46,656 ordered tracks.

This is, by no means, unique to the Tesla media player -- I had to use this same hack to play music in track order on my VW nav system (which supported SD cards for removable media).

The problem is that the player is looking only at artist, genre, album, and title. It's ignoring lots of other useful MP3 tags such as track ID (which is really how you want these sorted), disc number (for multi-disc albums), release year, etc. I was fairly surprised to see how minimal the USB support is, but also not that surprised given the emphasis on streaming music. Solution? Just use your phone over Bluetooth.

I think I figured out how to allow the USB audio to remember its last location. The audio system will choose Bluetooth streaming from your phone over USB audio even if USB audio was the last thing playing. The workaround is to disable all Bluetooth "Media audio" from your phone's Bluetooth setup for your Tesla's configuration.

On your Android phone while your Model 3 is on and Bluetooth is connected: go to Settings, Connections, Bluetooth, click on the gear icon for Telsa Model 3 (or what you named the connection), and turn off "Media audio."

I think I figured out how to allow the USB audio to remember its last location. The audio system will choose Bluetooth streaming from your phone over USB audio even if USB audio was the last thing playing. The workaround is to disable all Bluetooth "Media audio" from your phone's Bluetooth setup for your Tesla's configuration.

On your Android phone while your Model 3 is on and Bluetooth is connected: go to Settings, Connections, Bluetooth, click on the gear icon for Telsa Model 3 (or what you named the connection), and turn off "Media audio."

Thanks for the tip; partial success for me, I think. In my case, it doesn't resume. It does appear to eliminate the need for recaching the drive contents when I get in the car, so that is a improvement. Still takes about 3 seconds for USB option to become available and to show up under "Recent."

Last edited:
OMG..... we’re driving a car that’s got technology from the year 2030 and managing mp3’s like it’s 2000! This is madness!

If Tesla would just build WinAmp into their Software, we’d be all set !
I'm hopeful that the reason they haven't been improving the media player in recent updates is because they have totally re-written it in version 9.0 which should drop "soon".

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that the reason they haven't been improving the media player in recent updates is because they have totally re-written it in version 9.0 which should drop "soon".
I’m not going to get too excited that change is coming so soon, but I’m hoping you’re right that they’re basically starting over.

As a mass market vehicle, they are going to need to appeal to people who are less impressed that it’s a Tesla and want want solid well rounded features.

Tracks and albums can be organized in their folders by adding their numerical place in their filenames. Look at my post "Lessons learned about USB audio"
Hmmmm? Really? Not my experience. In folder view, once you are looking at the individual files in the folder, they are organized alphabetically, and not using the file names, but rather with the names from the tags, which almost always makes them out of normal order. I've bugged tesla support about this numerous times, supposedly it will get fixed eventually.

Hmmmm? Really? Not my experience. In folder view, once you are looking at the individual files in the folder, they are organized alphabetically, and not using the file names, but rather with the names from the tags, which almost always makes them out of normal order. I've bugged tesla support about this numerous times, supposedly it will get fixed eventually.

I checked to see what you mean, and I see that you are correct when browsing through the folders. But I'm wondering if there is any particular reason you're browsing music this way? I browse my music through artist, and then albums, and if the filenames are numbered, everything is alphabetical.

I had this problem with my MS some time ago, when the firmware was updated and changed the music interface (same time they removed the vertical alpha display along the right side, before putting it back) and now I have it with the M3. Too bad for me that I like to listen to FLAC and MP3 files of my home music library. Defines me as old, I realize. Found a work-around by using free (donations encouraged) MP3Tag software, for both my FLAC and MP3 thumb drives. It allows the manipulation of the metadata to put two digit track numbers in front of the track names, so that in the Tesla folder view, the tracks are listed in numerical order rather than alpha order. While it would be far better for Tesla to improve the interface and the navigating of music sources and songs, this has worked for me in the meantime.

Within MP3Tag, select the directory of your music files on your thumb drive (or your source if you want to go that far), then select all the folders/files (or just select one folder if you want to test). Select Configure tab, select Tag to Tag, Select Title field, and then enter this string to accomplish the adding of two digit track number in front of title $num(%track%, 2) - %title%

That's it. Takes some time to accomplish the task, depending on the number of albums and songs you have on the drive. Hope this can work for you until Tesla advances its interface.

It appears that the latest firmware (2019..5.15) has fixed the problem of the car not remembering what was being listened to prior to leaving. All times I have returned to the car since the update have resulted in it starting to play my usb music from where I left off. Well done!!

Finally! Still some annoying bugs, but at least it's useable now. It's still not completely gapless. And the Folder tab is still sorted wrong. But it sounds great, and I can work around the remaining bugs (and keep reporting them) until they get sorted out.