Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Playlist Workaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally! Still some annoying bugs, but at least it's useable now. It's still not completely gapless. And the Folder tab is still sorted wrong. But it sounds great, and I can work around the remaining bugs (and keep reporting them) until they get sorted out.

Remaining issue is when you are browsing artists it always falls back to the top of the alphabet “A” when you go back rather than stay in alphabet letter of the artist you were just browsing...super crap pain the ass...fix it please. Also it never jumps to the correct start of the artist first letter you choose....browsing is just ridiculous here....I have 30k flac songs on a 2TB flash drive I am trying to add to favorites, while I appreciate that I don’t have to wait 5 minutes for it to load each time, I do want the browsing fixed as well.

is there a way to just play in a random order? Do all songs have to be in the same directorys? I just want to copy over my entire itunes directory structure from my PC.

I just copied my iTunes folder at the artist level directly over. That is, there are subfolders for albums. And it has them correctly organized, but I don't know if it's the folder structure or the metadata that did that.

now if only the alabetic index was on the LEFT and it actually got to the right letter when you use it.... :(

Anybody been able to get voice request to work? When I say "Play XXXX", and there are multiple choices, say artists and songs, it fails.

Ex: "Play Cars"

Search screen shows the artist "The Cars", as well as multiple songs below it. When I tap the artist "The Cars", it just disappears and no playback. Similar when trying to switch the search category (songs vs artists, etc) on that same screen.

ETA: Also, the text entry keyboard completely blocks most of the choices and I can't get it too dismiss.

I think I figured out how to allow the USB audio to remember its last location. The audio system will choose Bluetooth streaming from your phone over USB audio even if USB audio was the last thing playing. The workaround is to disable all Bluetooth "Media audio" from your phone's Bluetooth setup for your Tesla's configuration.

On your Android phone while your Model 3 is on and Bluetooth is connected: go to Settings, Connections, Bluetooth, click on the gear icon for Telsa Model 3 (or what you named the connection), and turn off "Media audio."
What about on an iPhone?

This isn't an issue anymore - the usb audio system now remembers where it is over power cycles. It still doesn't remember where you are if you change your audio source though. But, if you only use usb audio, it mostly works pretty well now.
I have an iphone and I have removed all media from it, and switched off all media options that I could find, I even removed the music app, but my Model 3 stubbornly switches to my phone for each ride. So I still have to resume USB playback manually each and every time I get in the car. Anybody has a tip?

Last edited:
I have an iphone and I have removed all media from it, and switched off all media options that I could find, I even removed the music app, but my Model 3 stubbornly switches to my phone for each ride. So I still have to resume USB playback manually each and every time I get in the car. Anybody has a tip?

Yes I still have this same issue even with 2019.28.2...

I had this problem with my MS some time ago, when the firmware was updated and changed the music interface (same time they removed the vertical alpha display along the right side, before putting it back) and now I have it with the M3. Too bad for me that I like to listen to FLAC and MP3 files of my home music library. Defines me as old, I realize. Found a work-around by using free (donations encouraged) MP3Tag software, for both my FLAC and MP3 thumb drives. It allows the manipulation of the metadata to put two digit track numbers in front of the track names, so that in the Tesla folder view, the tracks are listed in numerical order rather than alpha order. While it would be far better for Tesla to improve the interface and the navigating of music sources and songs, this has worked for me in the meantime.

Within MP3Tag, select the directory of your music files on your thumb drive (or your source if you want to go that far), then select all the folders/files (or just select one folder if you want to test). Select Configure tab, select Tag to Tag, Select Title field, and then enter this string to accomplish the adding of two digit track number in front of title $num(%track%, 2) - %title%

That's it. Takes some time to accomplish the task, depending on the number of albums and songs you have on the drive. Hope this can work for you until Tesla advances its interface.
Version: 2019.24.4
Hi, thanks for the helpful post. I changed the mp3 tags on just one album on an usb drive and the tesla media interface still used the name to sort the songs ie. alphabetically! See uploaded image.
I´ll experiment with mp3tag and maybe something works.
IMG_20190813_193544.jpg

Version: 2019.24.4
Hi, thanks for the helpful post. I changed the mp3 tags on just one album on an usb drive and the tesla media interface still used the name to sort the songs ie. alphabetically! See uploaded image.
I´ll experiment with mp3tag and maybe something works.
View attachment 441380
So - it sorts by file name. MP3 tags are ignored :-( See image. I changed the file name of song number 8.
IMG_20190813_200727.jpg

OMG..... we’re driving a car that’s got technology from the year 2030 and managing mp3’s like it’s 2000! This is madness!

If Tesla would just build WinAmp into their Software, we’d be all set !

I actually had better MP3 playback in my Miata in 2000.. I wrote a custom solution thet used the track numbers from the ID3 tags for default ordering of songs on what we used to call Albums. Picture a classic iPod, but a small PC, and a physical hard disk (average disk life was 3-6 months before I hit a bump while it was accessing and killed the drive).

Are you sure you're on 24.4? As of that version (or maybe an earlier one, I'm not sure) they finally fixed the track ordering bug. At least in folder view, which is all I ever use. Now it sorts the tracks within a folder according to the track number in the tag. So if your files have the proper track number tags you no longer have to do this workaround.

I used the following steps to preserve the order of songs from playlists/folders in the USB drive;

Convert your playlist music to a single format (e.g., MP3/WAV/AAC)

I converted all my lossless/MP4 music to WAV format by using JRiver Media Center (iTunes can also be used to convert format after changing the music import setting to WAV/select songs/choose “convert” under File).

WAV format can be lossless/lossy and provides the best car stereo compatibility.

The reason for changing all the music to a single format:

Tesla car audio system is able to play any FLAC/WAV/MP4/MP3/AAC music without issues, but the music file sequence is corrupted when there are mixed music file formats within the same folder (e.g., when I mixed MP4 and WAV music, the folder was showing MP4 tracks before WAV tracks ignoring the number sequence).

FAT 32 Format USB drive ( I used 128GB USB3 Samsung);

Once the playlists are created (iTunes, JRiver etc.,) with the same music format, the next step is copying them to the USB drive.

Simply dragging the list to a USB folder WILL NOT preserve the song order as the songs will be displayed by name/number etc.

Creating USB music folder that maintains the same order of music from the playlist:

1) Download and install AmoK Playlist Copy (google). It is very safe to download this file.

Check the license box, then download/install the setup file and it will create a shortcut of the program to the desktop.

r4-bIgPIFKwGbwI9R2-Kz2cmne_V3ulbhvZa2A4y8VN0USJcO_x_uVFFqGpIOLPF_4_-ogqsvKkNVQJ40CVX_CyoXYraeAEmNVLluVYB7rR9FSVAkX_Y7egTVUGh0Q82ZQa_Z7wu

If you download the ZIP file it will first install in the Russian language, which can be changed to English (open the language folder/English/copy the file "language.ing" and paste it in the main section;then click on the Amokplaylistcopy.exe file to open the program)

2) Drag the list of songs from each playlist to the Amok interface. I dragged a few of my Josh Groban songs for the illustration, but the entire playlist can be dragged into the small window.

As you can see in the JR media center window, iTunes created several random numbers before the name of songs, which is the main reason for the car unit's random display order.

hS8IJOMgwLPWP4y-ubTQM_Pnu6N7BaUzJJIi6WmK6W2___DLfFd85-7ZpcqYeWp2zpTte46Y0rsiVA9SPmZ-fYVcN9BjMO10Xv59UCVsn0j-m_c1IRYHkqqOl-lEJMqUFNYfnAks

3) Click on the “copy/save” folder in the Amok interface and click on "To number serially (No playlist)", then choose the destination as USB drive/sub-folder of your choice.

QrjcAvM_w7wVAclgDHb97HfHo3hhzpMSvqtwencD_RSHz08aeKMQ2xa8sJB_Ik00Bo3L7rMc6fLOtOqGL5881loJP5pep__Ul-YdnHwp2b6PW4kMiw9ICsBj3z8dpT4OInarDyr5

4) You can create separate folders within the USB drive for each playlist and show the path to the Amok copy software.

5) Once the process is started, the program writes all the music files very fast and the USB folders will retain the same original order as the playlists.

Amok will create sequential numbers in front of the random numbers (see picture) to preserve the order of playlist. This will create a more messy looking playlist which we will clean up in the next step.

O_Gc6mQbVgLsOfJ3nO4-npjy5y91m8x6G_U7liNTSKflx9jIGBR2eFdLQESy_abnGR-vUYP6TYStfI-Hk6FNfsgfPWwhUkISVifdG1AYFsvsTz6Jm2peUHeApWTMuRPN48Yple0h

While Amok method works to keep the order of playlists when the USB is plugged into the other computers, it may not force certain car stereo units (e.g., Tesla & Subaru) to display music in the same order;

It is because the car stereo unit is picking up all the numbers listed from Title/Disc/Track etc and lists them in that order (you will see all the songs with 1 listed first or all the songs are listed alphabetically despite the numbers in front of them).

Additional steps involved to clean up the playlists:

Bulk Rename Utility
Skip this step if you don’t care about seeing random numbers in front of tracks.

To remove all the random numbers in front of the file names and create new sequential track numbers;

1) Download and install bulk rename utility (Google)

2) Open the USB drive playlist in the program window.

quP1IdZ6gjAWmFS3jH6-CMPyGwuUzcwcZJhxRrEpSDJHj3oGcWzicIlb_fSF-FH5ehDcls8dLyTFocmuCMBNBhxyoZ43Q4Cm_kZH3PlW3B-DTOlWh6eLraDMMJ0os91p-_tHyZAr

3) Highlight all the songs and click on up/down buttons in the "remove (5) column" to see the characters being removed from the tracks in the 2nd column (new name). Depending on your playlist and the number of digits in front of the filenames, you choose 3-6 rows to be removed to clear all the numbers. Some file names that are not aligning properly need to be edited manually.

ETGjcMHdBL6M7ZV9rcZqAV73LY9Rc6PI-9zD5KePuawgy7MCIP20LF5CypkDGqIQBB2-1eKy0g3PEavZvfHSVOfaAp8tkVUuj3gMooJ1FChkMw1MvQDPJaJzmpqaTB_thntqskc-

4) Changes can be made by using “reset/revert” buttons. Once satisfied with the new playlist without any numbers in front of the song name, click on "rename" to save the changes to the USB drive playlist.

5) After the renaming process is done, click "reset" once to proceed to the next step (creating sequential numbers in front of song names).

40CRqLNbOXuvzoGLFX3mfy-dXY5aEP71BvjH08wO1henv_AxNQB-jTEgDyOy8jbz_4s7_sdAhU9fD6gfDMukfOqzG9dvbO_Su6SCBClEcGibdGuvrx7cW6N33BjvjnmE4wZr9ptW

6) Highlight all tracks and click "mode" under numbering (10) tab and change the default “none” to "prefix" and then change the "Pad" value to 2, so all the songs have sequential track numbers starting as 01.

ytXXZ4tpwWjAs8A2GA3Ru5xZlYLAsTR7COF5GWPbMKf8czbTF2KYseGWBLfTsU06_-Ws1Vlxpn6IoGs4IdDImHEjNNx5YV-X0stngWXNE0GMJ194d2Y09o2dsbg3cpovFpG_1W89

7) Click "rename" and exit the program to place the USB in the Subaru.

9) If you have more than one folder with different playlists, choose "browse" then click on "folders" and see if all the tracks are listed sequentially.

10) Again, skip this step if it appears too complex and you are okay with seeing a bunch of numbers in front of the music files, as playlist order is still maintained despite doing this method.

MP3TAG (**important step to preserve the file order)

1) Download and install Mp3TAG (Google)

2) Open the USB drive playlist in the Mp3TAG window and highlight all the songs (CTL+A).

MkL195TfXWGeN38sB0w1BQWOMwz51WOd7cex2hdaqbHIBfHlUulFZZ_8TYxfIE1jlkuSA-hYFaurumWw6fUAFQwHY27U45m_ov9jSb5bJdIPIooOwtaHcL_BZMDlcjoTCcYMRjU0

3) In the left columns, highlight and delete the title, track and disc number from all the selected songs of the playlist then click on "save" and the USB drive song list will be devoid of any track/disc numbers and titles.

Emmzcrw8wFI1rl7hnSVc_1WTB1cjsjC-nx7R_UhJtVuij2ZeW15X3OUvOSJnQKbHej8D8mAduobnDxRDGUbUsd2MgHCGPbut2Ib0qq9YG84Mm2BtoXnWUk5D_z6m5GyJ-mjxwRog

Once you get a hang of the procedure listed above, creating playlists and editing times are very fast. One can also use MediaMonkey to do the same, but I found the above listed programs easy to use with my iTunes/JRMC playlists.

Enjoy USB music folders containing your favorite playlists in the same order created.

ybNZCWK_41GZoFcN3fgq2fahPFlKdFmJMD29sQXI5w0I-n40NCVXgfXby_1Ju4-ayO_jx-NXq9hsLd2sw9WIaGKADjTi712rQa-nVT-c4mhf7evdWzwK55gSJjTHhjQ90WYMjjAH

KiVJYX8T8dsPiwRbfZ8tScT2i207Cq4ht1mW9fdkaBjw-1jUXoQrlZA3TGoHyp3Lxte9uCfeBM8bEBYVF_2XgTN3ibfGXPAnyWn0ikfQk70VkLOIrBpxYFQPOEAvDhrR_4d7NONR

• Informative
Reactions: Valtor