Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade old NEMA 6-20 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall what it automatically set. I was overly cautious and set the charge rate initially to 10A and then 14A and finally 16A. I had never used these outlets before (old garage). But yes, I did get the 5-20 adapter from the Tesla store and the NEMA Tesla Adapter Cable with the 5-20 end from EVSEadapters.

It did not automatically set it in this case. If you're using a 14-50 to 6-20 adapter, each time Tesla resets the charge history you'll try charging at 40A and tripping the circuit breaker. I don't recommend this approach for permanent charging because of the dangers involved.

Found another interesting albeit a slightly more expensive option for those of us with NEMA 6-20r outlets:

New Duosida Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (220V-240V) - 21 ft long - Level 2 - 16 amp Electric Car Charger - J1772 - EVSE Amazon.com: New Duosida Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (220V-240V) - 21 ft long - Level 2 - 16 amp Electric Car Charger - J1772 - EVSE: Automotive

This would plug into the 6-20R directly and would use the J1772 adapter that already comes with the UMC at car delivery. Tesla sells additional ones if you wanna keep a J1772 adapter in the car at all times. This also frees up the UMC for always keeping it in the car for those that prefer it.

I don't have this cable, as I already spent money on the EVSEADAPTERS.COM adapter and the 5-20 Tesla adapter, but at $300 it's a decent option, especially considering the UMC is not needed on the daily with this setup.