Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated to V10 today, got the middle finger within 5 minutes of first drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my collision detection warning set to medium, and it definity does flash the headlights when it thinks a moving car has stopped in front of your path and it turns red on the display. (usually when someone in front makes a right turn, and I couldn't have possibly hit them for real.) I'm not sure if it was high or low beam, but I have seen my lights flash on the car in front of me during the day time when this happens.

I have my collision detection warning set to medium, and it definity does flash the headlights when it thinks a moving car has stopped in front of your path and it turns red on the display. (usually when someone in front makes a right turn, and I couldn't have possibly hit them for real.) I'm not sure if it was high or low beam, but I have seen my lights flash on the car in front of me during the day time when this happens.
that is dumb. it's just asking to be flipped off if you flash a car that is stopped for a reason

Reactions: Potpourri
Does Boeing use French commands like the Airbus do? Imagine hearing this from the Tacc/aeb system....

Nope, they're all English. And what you're hearing toward the end of the video is a voice saying, "retard" which is telling you to retard the throttles to the idle position, so it's an English word spoken with a French accent. The countdown is the radar altimeter telling you your height above the ground. :)

5th day owning a computer on wheels.

I was driving through my neighborhood, no TACC, no AP, and coming up to a stop sign with a car in front of me. I was slowing to a stop at about 10mph, he was 40 feet or so in front of me and the M3 chimes. I have no idea why it's doing this and I look down and his car image on the console is red. I look back up, continue to slow to a stop and as he pulls away from the stop sign he puts his left arm out the window and flips me off.

The only reason I can think that he might have done that is that the M3 flashed it's high beams at him?

Frankly I have no idea what happened. No idea why the M3 reacted that way. I was nowhere close to rear ending him.

Or do people just flip off Teslas at random?
could have been something simpler like the car was coasting so slow, the brake lights didn't engage and the person behind you didn't see you stop or slow down?

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I never even knew that it was a thing....
It's truly unbelievable that it is a thing, and even more so that it's so common. They don't just do it to EV owners, they do it to other drivers just for the hell of it, too.

One of the guys that coal rolled me I've spotted twice now at the local supercharger, parking across the spots to deny as many supercharger spots as possible. The hate is just unbelievable. There are other pickups that park across the supercharger spots, too. The SC is co-located with a Starbucks, and fortunately the manager has been made aware of it, and is now taking the appropriate actions. :)

5th day owning a computer on wheels.

I was driving through my neighborhood, no TACC, no AP, and coming up to a stop sign with a car in front of me. I was slowing to a stop at about 10mph, he was 40 feet or so in front of me and the M3 chimes. I have no idea why it's doing this and I look down and his car image on the console is red. I look back up, continue to slow to a stop and as he pulls away from the stop sign he puts his left arm out the window and flips me off.

The only reason I can think that he might have done that is that the M3 flashed it's high beams at him?

Frankly I have no idea what happened. No idea why the M3 reacted that way. I was nowhere close to rear ending him.

Or do people just flip off Teslas at random?
You were approaching too fast without sufficient braking so the car alerted you. The sensitivity of this can be adjusted in the settings. I suspect he thought the same thing and was worried you were going to hit him. Hence the middle finger

Reactions: Potpourri
This is another example that validates my wife's pet peeve with our Teslas...There are a large number of different chimes and noises, along with short-lived visual warnings that come on all the time - it would be very helpful, in her opinion, if the warnings were also provided verbally, so you would know what to react to without having to try and catch the visual warning before it vanishes, or try to quickly interpret the chime...and the more I have these warnings go off in my S or her 3, the more I'm starting to agree. Why do we have to guess what we are being warned about in a technically sophisticated vehicle like the Tesla ? Seems very dated...
Adjust the sensitivity in the settings then if it bothers you.

I have never noticed this in a year of driving the 3. Can anyone else confirm the car flashes the headlights when the collision alert activates.

Adjust the sensitivity in the settings then if it bothers you.

I think you missed my point completely. I'm not saying the sounds of the warnings are annoying, I'm saying they are ineffective and potentially dangerous as currently presented. Reducing the sensitivity or volume doesn't help you to understand what each warning is for, it would just delay when the warning will occur - not a very effect way to utilize the great safety features available on the Tesla. Being able to understand, with a verbal alert, what each of the warnings is saying allows you to react to that situation without taking your eyes off the road to try and decipher the split second chime or screen warning.

Reactions: Phlier