Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla/EV owner and first-time FSD beta user - is this a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps you could try holding the wheel with just your left or right hand at around 4.5 or 7.5?

This ended up being my solution. My natural position with two hands and eyes straight ahead was useless in avoiding nags. So I've had to learn to let one hand 'hang' to provide the torque (since 2 hands balance each other and don't add torque.)

My issue is I haven't found a position to do so that doesn't bend my wrist in such a way that I get arthritis aching. Alternating helps. A pillow to raise my arm helps, and I'm fine for drives of an hour or so (I don't use FSDb in the city so it is only on highway driving). I haven't had a chance to do a long drive yet with this solution.

My husband's solution is to rest his left arm on his forearm by sticking it through the wheel above the cross bar. My concern is/was that he wouldn't be able to reposition and react fast enough in an emergency but then a deer ran across in front of us (FSDb didn't react at all) and he moved fast enough to grab the wheel with both hands in time as well as braking. Had the car needed to swerve, we think it would have been fine (brakes were enough and the car didn't skid, so that didn't need corrective steering.)

Hate the feel of FSD with hands/arms hanging off the steering wheel
I roll the scroll instead which works with but eventually FSD asks for more and I have to use force on the steering wheel with hands
Body feels much better after eight hours of driving, mostly rolling rhe scroll wheel
Still have to do the hat test

My issue is I haven't found a position to do so that doesn't bend my wrist in such a way that I get arthritis aching. Alternating helps. A pillow to raise my arm helps, and I'm fine for drives of an hour or so (I don't use FSDb in the city so it is only on highway driving). I haven't had a chance to do a long drive yet with this solution.
I initially had that issue too - some aching on my hands. To certain extent, I used to do this on my previous ICE car as well with my left hand only, so my left hand has some body memory and muscle to handle this easier. I use a bit of finger force (using mostly thumb and a bit of pinky) to straighten the wrist. When I tried it with the right hand, initially I didn't like it at all. But after few months, I'm used to that too. No more aches. I alternate frequently between two hands.

As we all get older, I don't think we have a choice - just need to find new ways to adapt as our body gets weaker and feel more aches in new places...

Reactions: navguy12
Hate the feel of FSD with hands/arms hanging off the steering wheel
I roll the scroll instead which works with but eventually FSD asks for more and I have to use force on the steering wheel with hands
Body feels much better after eight hours of driving, mostly rolling rhe scroll wheel
Still have to do the hat test
Tried that too for few months... 😁

I think I'm too sensitive, didn't like the fact that scrolls change either music volume or speed, hence needing up and down. So went ahead and tried to get used to other methods... Once you get hang of hand weight torque ways, you don't need to really pay attention to the blue warning.

Yes. Most comfortable position for me happens to be hands at 10 and 2. Of course that means my right wrist / arm blocks the nag message, so unless I spend 80% of my time looking at the screen instead of the road, I don't catch those, but see the flashing blue in my peripheral vision in time to avoid strikes. And of course just holding the wheel isn't good enough. Have to apply torque between 4.0 and 4.5 ounce-inches of torque, back and forth constantly. Any less than 4.0 won't satisfy it, any more than 4.5 will cause a disengage. Continued pressure in either direction won't satisfy it, the pressure must bounce back and forth. Without a doubt, the most aggravating thing about the car, which is saying a lot, considering the driver head rest attached to the front of the seat, not the top, tipped forward at about 15º forcing me to look at my lap and non-adjustable?
RE the headrests: first thing I did back in 2018 when I took the car home was to remove each headrest, put the metal posts in a vice and apply a controlled force to bend the metal posts. Once reinstalled, I was able to drive comfortably without having my head tipped forward.

When I drove a new TMY last month while killing time at the local SC, first thing I noticed was the stupid head rests still canted too far forward.

RE the headrests: first thing I did back in 2018 when I took the car home was to remove each headrest, put the metal posts in a vice and apply a controlled force to bend the metal posts. Once reinstalled, I was able to drive comfortably without having my head tipped forward.

When I drove a new TMY last month while killing time at the local SC, first thing I noticed was the stupid head rests still canted too far forward.

Brilliant. (We have to remove the rear headrest completely in order to safely install the car seat for our grandkid. This was the first car we have ever owned where I had to google how to remove a head rest AND now keep a tool with which to do so in the car.)

Reactions: navguy12
Ironically, the reason I accepted the addition of FSD to our purchase was thinking the car would help us adapt/compensate for weakening body/senses. Hah!
Although to keep us away from the blue screen causes some additional pain, other aspects of FSD do help us adapt/compensate for weakening body/senses, at least for me. 😁

Already looking forward to this winter trip, probably around 3000km this time.

Already looking forward to this winter trip, probably around 3000km this time.
I did a 7300km trip in April, and the vast bulk of the trip was covered by lane keeping and traffic-aware cruise control; highway miles. It was an easy trip because the car handled speed control and lane centering so well. It was a joy to literally watch the miles roll by and not have to pay constant attention to speed and keeping the lane. But the one thing that made it painful by the end was not having a place to put my right foot. The driver's ergonomics assume that we will rest our foot on the accelerator. But when on cruise control, I pull my foot back so that I don't unintentionally accelerate. Where to put the foot? What leg position is going to be comfortable for 7300km? I couldn't find one, and I ended up with leg pain along the right side of my ankle and calf. All the places you can put your right foot are slightly to the left of straight ahead.

There is a pedestal for the left foot to rest on and I'd like to see a pedestal for the right foot that is to the right of the accelerator pedal. That's my best idea for addressing the problem. I can't think of anything that can be done with the accelerator pedal itself that wouldn't prove disastrous in an emergency.

The funny thing about FSDb and road trips is that I'd never use it in an unfamiliar environment. I can trust FSDb on my normal drives because I know what it will do. But if I was in an unfamiliar town, I just can't see letting it drive because I may not know what it's supposed to be doing at any given moment. Especially on roads with intersections or markings that I'm not familiar with.

I did a 7300km trip in April, and the vast bulk of the trip was covered by lane keeping and traffic-aware cruise control; highway miles. It was an easy trip because the car handled speed control and lane centering so well. It was a joy to literally watch the miles roll by and not have to pay constant attention to speed and keeping the lane. But the one thing that made it painful by the end was not having a place to put my right foot. The driver's ergonomics assume that we will rest our foot on the accelerator. But when on cruise control, I pull my foot back so that I don't unintentionally accelerate. Where to put the foot? What leg position is going to be comfortable for 7300km? I couldn't find one, and I ended up with leg pain along the right side of my ankle and calf. All the places you can put your right foot are slightly to the left of straight ahead.

There is a pedestal for the left foot to rest on and I'd like to see a pedestal for the right foot that is to the right of the accelerator pedal. That's my best idea for addressing the problem. I can't think of anything that can be done with the accelerator pedal itself that wouldn't prove disastrous in an emergency.

The funny thing about FSDb and road trips is that I'd never use it in an unfamiliar environment. I can trust FSDb on my normal drives because I know what it will do. But if I was in an unfamiliar town, I just can't see letting it drive because I may not know what it's supposed to be doing at any given moment. Especially on roads with intersections or markings that I'm not familiar with.
I charge every 1.5 hours or so. That probably helps my right foot positioning as I didn't feel any pain, although my trips in the past are generally under 3000km over multiple days.

On highways (inc. rural ones), I'm happy with the way the current FSD drives. I usually have the FSD on, and watch my surroundings. I guess I'm spending 60% of my normal focus energy vs manual driving. For me, I feel safer this way and less fatigue. This didn't happen overnight though, only after many miles of FSD driving on rural roads.

I charge every 1.5 hours or so. That probably helps my right foot positioning as I didn't feel any pain, although my trips in the past are generally under 3000km over multiple days.
I was charging every 2 hours or so per the car's trip planner. I assume it was the long distance over a short time. I was clocking in over 1000km a day (Texas is big). I guess having a twice-rolled ankle didn't help. To be clear, the problem didn't really start in until the last day or so. I'd still like to have that rest for my right foot. Or a bed in the back :)

I'd like someone to please post all the different possible signs in the US and Canada for School Zones. All the verbiage, all the possible flashing lights combos and locations of those lights, all the time ranges, etc.

It's easy for you, as a human, to read and interpret those signs, but it's hard for a computer to do so. If there was one standard school zone sign configuration for the entire North America, it would be much easier to train the system.

For now, it's REALLY easy to handle a school zone. You, the human, read the sign, determine if there are children nearby, and then use the scroll wheel to lower the speed if needed.

Such monumentally basic stuff.
People who think Tesla will have a robotaxi service soon occupy an echo chamber
In my immediate neighbourhood, upon departure from the complex parking garage, the posted limit is 40 kph.

If FSDb is left to its own devices, it acts like a bull in a china shop to attain that speed with zero regard for context.

There are cars parked on both sides of the road, two cross walks and always either dog walkers, cyclists or children milling about.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: hooty and zroger73