Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla/EV owner and first-time FSD beta user - is this a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my first EV last month - a Model Y Long Range. I've had several vehicles with adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist. I used the adaptive cruise control often, but the lane keeping assist was a parlor trick at best. In the Hondas and Mazdas I've had with that feature, it slowly oscillated from one side of the lane to the other. I was very impressed with the Model Y's ability to stay well-centered in the lane using the standard Autopilot.

Yesterday, I began using FSD beta 11.3.6 after updating to 2023.12.10. This was my first time experiencing FSD. Yesterday evening, I let it drive me from home to a local trail and back. Immediately, I noticed how jerky and uncertain it was when pulling out of my driveway onto the main road. A mile later, I had to slam on the brakes to an ABS-controlled stop after the car appeared as though it was going to drive right through a 4-way stop with a stop sign and flashing red lights at 55 MPH.

The next time I had to intervene was when I was sitting at a major intersection waiting to turn left at a red light. When the traffic lights to the right of me turned green, my car turned on the right turn signal and began turning into traffic coming up from behind, so I had to step on the brake and yank the steering wheel. The whole time, the projected path was still for a left turn from the left turn lane - I have no idea why or what it would have done had I let it (aside from getting rear-ended by a vehicle to my right). :) The drive home was slightly less dramatic.

This morning, I let it drive me from home to work. This time, it stopped at the 4-way stop, but I had a right turn instead of going straight ahead. Multiple times I had to press the accelerator pedal as the car appeared very "timid" for no apparent reason and I could tell that traffic behind me was confused and frustrated. I noticed that it would also wait until the last moment and brake hard when coming to a stop whereas I would anticipate stops and begin slowing down hundreds of feet earlier.

I've been a tech geek all my life - first among my friends and family to have a computer, cell phone, and now an EV. I've had years of experience with "driver assist" features. I'm an engineer by day and spent a few years as an automotive journalist.

Based on my first hour with Tesla's FSD beta, I can't imagine how this is even allowed on public roads. It seems nowhere near ready. I've watched hundreds of videos demonstrating FSD, but based on my preliminary experience, I'm convinced those are cherry-picked examples where little to no intervention is required. Just in my first hour, I had to intervene nearly a dozen times.

Perhaps it's because I travel in rural and suburban areas where Teslas are extremely rare, so the system has no "training" here? As it stands, it's not only useless, but downright dangerous. I'll pay for another month and see how it works for other drives, but I have a strong suspicion that FSD in its current form is not for me. At minimum, I'm embarrassed by how it drives and even fearful at times - and this is coming from someone who puts a lot of faith in technology. :)

You're not wrong. It is still very much beta, despite what the "influencers" might make you believe. Remember, they are chasing views and trying to get free products to test, so they tend to be very flattering to the products they do test. I'm not saying that's the case with all of them, but at least the ones you are likely to have show up in your feed.

If you use it enough, you will get a sense for what it's good at and what it's not, but yes, you always have to be ready to take over. It's not inaccurate to say that the workload while using FSDb is possibly higher than when not using it!

Fortunately I bought FSD when it was only $2K, and my wife's used Model Y happened to have it on it (the car dealer we bought it from had no clue) so I basically have the ability to use it as often as I'd like. There is no way I would pay $15K for it today (with no set timeline on when it will actually be Full Self Driving) or even subscribe to it. Admittedly, auto lane change on trips is a very attractive feature, but I'm not sure it would be worth $200 even on a long trip. It needs to be way better before it's worth that.

Basically my experience as well, I subbed to it about 2 months ago, The Autopilot was okay but I expected FSDb to blow it out of the water, Finally I got it last night and the phantom breaking is insane, Since it follows about 4 car lengths back tons of cars will cut into the big opening then my car will slam on the brakes as if it was about to smack into the back of it but realistically it's 2 car lengths behind. Does anyone have a suggestion on best setting? I was using assertive but even then it drives like a grandma and if a right turn exit is in quick succession it'll just skip it completely. I got a lot of dirty looks on the 2 trips I tried it on because I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt and let it do it's thing. I'm hoping that 11.4.1 is a lot better, I'm currently on 11.3.6, I don't think it's a hardware limit thing since it seems like computer decisions, But I am nervous once it goes to AI computation fully if the intel chips will be able to handle it, I have a feeling 2019 and older will need some sort of computer retrofit for a specially modeled one (Since AMD can't fit in ours currently).

I'm in NJ if that explains the drivers cutting in (They also speed up when you put on your blinker so the car switching lanes here is basically impossible). My other account is "Pending mod approval" for about 3 months, not sure why when it let me make this one instantly so that's why this account is new incase anyone thinks I'm a tesla hater or anything due to my fresh account.

Based on my first hour with Tesla's FSD beta, I can't imagine how this is even allowed on public roads. It seems nowhere near ready. I've watched hundreds of videos demonstrating FSD, but based on my preliminary experience, I'm convinced those are cherry-picked examples where little to no intervention is required. Just in my first hour, I had to intervene nearly a dozen times.
It's survivor bias. How many people would keep cranking out videos of a product that they didn't like? How many people would watch that channel? The people who are moving to EVs are optimists and they want it all to work, so the channels that put the system in a positive light are going to succeed. The folks who don't like it will move on to something that they do enjoy.

I've noticed that the drivers in the channels that I watch tend to be really mellow people. While filming a drive, they roll with the punches. They'll sometimes talk about how they'll intervene more often when not on camera. Not because they're trying to deceive, but because they want people to see what the system will do on its own.

If your expectation is that you're in a vehicle that has an automated chauffeur (especially one that drives just like you), you're going to be very disappointed. If your expectation is that you're testing experimental automation software, you'll have a much easier time with it.

I would suggest that you keep at it. There is the equivalent of the five stages of grief when dealing with FSDb as a beta tester.

You realize FSDb is beta software, yes? That means it's under development being tested by a 2nd subset of testers. Nobody (except perhaps some YT shills or car CEO's) have suggested it's not dangerous and has serious bugs. This is to be expected if you choose to assist Tesla with testing and identification of bugs. It is appreciated, I'm sure.

If you want to compare to other cars, use the production FSD or TACC, not FSDb. Apples to apples.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Also to this, the more you drive the more detailed the maps and intersections are reported to Tesla which will then push that detail to your car when you enter a destination and it will drive better.
Probably. I'll drive in a place I've never driven before to see how it does.

BTW ... @zroger73 before I started using FSD ....
- After I bought FSD (in 2019), it took me nearly a month to get the courage to even try it on an empty road.
- For first few days I tried it only on empty roads
- For first several months I'd use it only on straight roads and disengage when there was a sharp turn
- After FSD was released, I'd always disengage at intersections if there was any traffic
- Only recently (10.69 and later) I let FSD turn when there are multiple turn lanes

... so you see its a gradual learning process. I'm sure there are people who are lot less conservative than me when it comes to driving who will adapt to FSD much quicker. But I'd expect most new users to be terrified of FSD when they first use it. Take it slowly and use it where you think it is safe.

Every time there's slew of new testers we get this. "FSD Beta isn't complete? WTF...but Whole Mars..."
To be fair a lot of what I read when lurking here was "I let it drive 98% of my driving for me day to day" and the youtube videos the drivers mention how it rarely makes mistakes. Maybe I was watching the wrong channels or just found shill ones. But it lead up to great expectations, I'm assuming that also happened with OP.

To be fair a lot of what I read when lurking here was "I let it drive 98% of my driving for me day to day" and the youtube videos the drivers mention how it rarely makes mistakes. Maybe I was watching the wrong channels or just found shill ones. But it lead up to great expectations, I'm assuming that also happened with OP.
I let FSD Beta drive 98% of the time. It makes mistakes though. I've put probably 50k miles on Beta, so I understand scenarios where I know I may have to intervene and I'm ready.

I have numerous 0 intervention drives, but also have times where Beta makes terrible decisions.

I purchased my first EV last month - a Model Y Long Range. I've had several vehicles with adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist. I used the adaptive cruise control often, but the lane keeping assist was a parlor trick at best. In the Hondas and Mazdas I've had with that feature, it slowly oscillated from one side of the lane to the other. I was very impressed with the Model Y's ability to stay well-centered in the lane using the standard Autopilot.

Yesterday, I began using FSD beta 11.3.6 after updating to 2023.12.10. This was my first time experiencing FSD. Yesterday evening, I let it drive me from home to a local trail and back. Immediately, I noticed how jerky and uncertain it was when pulling out of my driveway onto the main road. A mile later, I had to slam on the brakes to an ABS-controlled stop after the car appeared as though it was going to drive right through a 4-way stop with a stop sign and flashing red lights at 55 MPH.

The next time I had to intervene was when I was sitting at a major intersection waiting to turn left at a red light. When the traffic lights to the right of me turned green, my car turned on the right turn signal and began turning into traffic coming up from behind, so I had to step on the brake and yank the steering wheel. The whole time, the projected path was still for a left turn from the left turn lane - I have no idea why or what it would have done had I let it (aside from getting rear-ended by a vehicle to my right). :) The drive home was slightly less dramatic.

This morning, I let it drive me from home to work. This time, it stopped at the 4-way stop, but I had a right turn instead of going straight ahead. Multiple times I had to press the accelerator pedal as the car appeared very "timid" for no apparent reason and I could tell that traffic behind me was confused and frustrated. I noticed that it would also wait until the last moment and brake hard when coming to a stop whereas I would anticipate stops and begin slowing down hundreds of feet earlier.

I've been a tech geek all my life - first among my friends and family to have a computer, cell phone, and now an EV. I've had years of experience with "driver assist" features. I'm an engineer by day and spent a few years as an automotive journalist.

Perhaps it's because I travel in rural and suburban areas where Teslas are extremely rare, so the system has no "training" here? As it stands, it's not only useless, but downright dangerous. I'll pay for another month and see how it works for other drives, but I have a strong suspicion that FSD in its current form is not for me. At minimum, I'm embarrassed by how it drives and even fearful at times - and this is coming from someone who puts a lot of faith in technology. :)
And here I complain about simple TACC slamming on the brakes when the sun causes a mirage effect on two lane highways…never mind it never ceding any part of my lane when a large oncoming truck is looming ahead.

You realize FSDb is beta software, yes? That means it's under development being tested by a 2nd subset of testers. Nobody (except perhaps some YT shills or car CEO's) have suggested it's not dangerous and has serious bugs. This is to be expected if you choose to assist Tesla with testing and identification of bugs. It is appreciated, I'm sure.

If you want to compare to other cars, use the production FSD or TACC, not FSDb. Apples to apples.
Even TACC is problematic on many highways in Ontario.

There are a lot of comments and theories on why YT looks so much better than when you drive from the time we all first got FSD 1+ year ago.

Simply put - it is a lot scarier if your life is on the line than if you are watching something on TV (like I say, watching someone else climb Mt Everest is different than climbing the peak yourself).

FSD Beta is more advanced and does things much better than TACC or AP, but it also does somethings dangerously worse.

FSD handles lane keeping and normal driving exponentially better than AP, especially on the interstate.
Fair enough, but my (limited) understanding is that TACC and NOA is now using a “single stack” of software and it still has phantom braking issues as well as slowing down to 100 kph whilst inside the interchange between HWY 17 and HWY 417 in the Ottawa area.

And four weeks ago, the stretch of the 401 between Mississauga (from the 407 ETR junction) west to Milton still has random TACC/NOA speed drops due to some sort of old-map-artifacts (when this section went from six lanes to 12 lanes, the alignment was somewhat altered).

It's survivor bias. How many people would keep cranking out videos of a product that they didn't like? How many people would watch that channel? The people who are moving to EVs are optimists and they want it all to work, so the channels that put the system in a positive light are going to succeed. The folks who don't like it will move on to something that they do enjoy.

I've noticed that the drivers in the channels that I watch tend to be really mellow people. While filming a drive, they roll with the punches. They'll sometimes talk about how they'll intervene more often when not on camera. Not because they're trying to deceive, but because they want people to see what the system will do on its own.

If your expectation is that you're in a vehicle that has an automated chauffeur (especially one that drives just like you), you're going to be very disappointed. If your expectation is that you're testing experimental automation software, you'll have a much easier time with it.

I would suggest that you keep at it. There is the equivalent of the five stages of grief when dealing with FSDb as a beta tester
This

Reactions: clydeiii