Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated - Interior Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually there was one guy who personally attacked me for starting the thread on more than one post. He insinuated my intention was to short the TSLA stock.

If you only recently joined their forum and that was your first thread (or close to it) I wouldn't exactly blame them for being suspicious. TSLA has lots of shorters and if the thread seems like it was mainly posted to initiate a reaction and/or spread discontent for this decision rather than being constructive in getting Tesla to change it (the proper channel would be to contact your customer advocate, Tesla monitors the forums intermittently but I don't think they take reactions from forum posters as seriously as comments reflected through customer advocates), it would seem very suspicious because that is usually a sign of astroturfing. Astroturfing is very popular nowadays. I can't really judge without looking at the thread first (assuming it wasn't deleted already).

As promised, I contacted my rep at Tesla asking for confirmation whether the mirrors on the sun visors are still present. I told him I'd post his answer on the forum which was "please feel free to confirm that the mirrors under the sun visors have not been removed." This was the same rep I quoted to start off this thread. He confirmed that it was only LED lighting that had been removed. However, Tesla is so responsive to their clients that I personally believe that if enough people courteously contact their Tesla reps requesting that the LED lighting be reinstated that it will be seriously considered.

I started the thread regarding deletion of vanity mirrors on TM Forums but now I am not being allowed to post there and boy I have been lambasted by some of their employees acting as regular forum posters for criticizing the decision to delete the features with some personal attacks by a couple of them! I guess they don't want any criticism of their decisions at this stage.

As stopcrazypp mentioned, I don't think these would be Tesla employees. I would bet it's 'fanboys' who are outraged that you dared criticized Tesla, which sucks because it stifles legit criticism (which in my opinion is always a plus).

I think this is the issue that is striking most people in the heart.

No one single amenity deficiency is driving people away from this car (at least I don't see it that way). It is the lack of several basic amenities that are fairly standard on many vehicles that are 1/4 the price that is forcing people to reconsider.

I don't think Tesla has to worry about capturing the EV crazed market. They'll get those. They need to get people who wouldn't have considered an EV either because they don't know about them or they feel EVs aren't as good as ICE vehicles. If the average person sat in a Model S and was asked to pay $85,000 for it, they wouldn't. I still believe they wouldn't even after test driving it and hearing lecture upon lecture about how advanced it is and how much better it is for the environment.

I agree nearly completely, except that I'm not sure at this point that they'll even capture all of the EV-crazed market because the cost of the vehicle is too high. They've positioned themselves in a strange demographic, and at least to me they seem to have marketed themselves as the answer to 'everything ICE' which opens them up to a lot of valid criticism. They're not going to get the everyday luxury market without the bells and whistles, and they're not going to get the stretch-to-own and commuter market with their expensive annual maintenance and tire replacement. 'Thrilling to drive' only goes so far.

Personally, I think if the fanatics continue shouting people down for critiquing them, Tesla is going to have a lot of cancelled reservations when issues (like the vanity mirror thing) aren't resolved in the final copy and journalists get ahold of it for a full review. I hope that's not the case, because I want them to succeed so I can own one down the road. But people paying upwards of $100k for a vehicle have certain expectations, not only from the vehicle but from the company itself.

Last edited:
... He confirmed that it was only LED lighting that had been removed. However, Tesla is so responsive to their clients that I personally believe that if enough people courteously contact their Tesla reps requesting that the LED lighting be reinstated that it will be seriously considered.

I believe ddruz has it correct here.

Very typical phenomena going on in this long thread... lack of timely communication to a concern someone has, with just a bit of time to stew about it in the void, and the mind descends in to the worst case scenarios in no time. Happens with people being suspicious of others (cheating, demotions, etc), or hearing someone went to the hospital, and the next thing you know, you start thinking the worst outcomes. Human nature. The challenge for Tesla will be in managing these concerns, quickly... as well as avoid them in the first place.

I try to temper all my responses on hearsay (business and personal) until I've learned from official (public) sources.

Of course for those of you who about to lock down on your design any day now... I feel your pressing concern. I have the luxury of time with my reservation.

I believe ddruz has it correct here.

Very typical phenomena going on in this long thread... lack of timely communication to a concern someone has, with just a bit of time to stew about it in the void, and the mind descends in to the worst case scenarios in no time. Happens with people being suspicious of others (cheating, demotions, etc), or hearing someone went to the hospital, and the next thing you know, you start thinking the worst outcomes. Human nature. The challenge for Tesla will be in managing these concerns, quickly... as well as avoid them in the first place.

I try to temper all my responses on hearsay (business and personal) until I've learned from official (public) sources.

Of course for those of you who about to lock down on your design any day now... I feel your pressing concern. I have the luxury of time with my reservation.

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury and have to commit to an expensive over $100K car without firm answers very soon. I spoke to three different customer advocates since yesterday and on each occasion I was put on a short hold and then informed that there will be mirrors without lights but there was no chance of their changing back to installing any lights over the mirrors. So now we have to decide if my holding a flashlight in the dark on my wife's face will work. Sounds really absurd doesn't it that we should have to resort to this.

I've had all black interiors (and on the Roadster) and I lose stuff in there all the time. My BMW had a vanity mirror light and it didn't help light up the interior one little bit :). (And it had flimsy excuses for cupholders in the front only and it was a GREAT car.)

Seriously, we don't know about the lighting. That's why I said 'I believe'.

Before, everyone was upset over the shade. Then the center console. Now this. I believe, no ... I KNOW I'll be relieved when cars start shipping.

Okay, it wasn't EVERYONE. But that wasn't my point.

Since it was obfuscated by the use of the word 'everyone', I'll clarify: While we've been waiting, there have been a number of issues that have caused a great deal of angst. We beat one into the ground and then up pops a new one. It's a giant game of whack-a-mole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted this on Tesla thread from a different computer. We'll see if they manage to block this post too. Here is the post -

Steve_W and rd2 I totally agree with you. By the way I did not start this thread because I have a hidden agenda against TM. Contrary to some rude posters like Timo accusing me "of shorting the Tesla stock" I have never even owned any stock of any kind in my life. We have our money invested in conservative GOs and other Govt. backed bonds and have done well enough to pay cash for everything including our house and cars etc. By the way Timo I did well enough to retire at the age of 50 so my wife doesn't need to hire me as her driver(as you rudely suggested) but if you are hard up and worried about the Stock Market she would consider you for the job.

Anyway, I admire Elon Musk and what he has achieved at such a young age with SpaceX, Tesla and the Solar Co. He reminds me of late Steve Jobs. We reserved our model S three years ago after seeing the first prototype. My wife and I have always been excited about "Green" technology. We have had a 5.2 kw solar system on our roof for years, we bought the original Prius years ago and now have a 2012 Prius along with a BMW and a MBZ roadster. We also owned a Volt for a while but sold it recently in anticipation of getting the Model S.

We want Tesla to succeed. That is why we are spending over $109000 before rebate on this car which is not chump change. We received our "time to build email" last week and were very excited but over the weekend read the shocking report on another thread in the Tesla forum about deletion of vanity and rear lights. Considering the price of this car, and Mr Musk's statement of building the best premium/luxury car in the world, this was shocking to us. The car is already missing basic elements in the interior of most cars - like the rear arm rest, rear cup holders etc but this seemed like the last straw. I am not the only one upset over this latest deletion of lighted vanity mirrors. There are over 16 pages of customers discussing this topic on the Tesla Motors Club thread (which by the way I did not start)

TM has to realize that the very same reviewers who were initially impressed by the handling and performance of Model S in their short test drives will comment about the basic missing elements of the car's interior when they have more time to examine the vehicle. Secondly, when the initial euphoria of owning a brand new performance EV dies down people and their wives, friends, relatives etc will start noticing the lack of some basic features in the car and the word will get around. Not many discerning folks will want to spend their hard earned dollars on a car lacking features which are standard on basic cars. Lastly, men are not going to be the only drivers of this car. Women, including my wife, drive all different models and types of cars. So, unless this car was designed and reserved to be for "Men Only" TM needs to take into consideration some basic needs of women in an automobile like lighted vanity mirrors which all the other manufacturers cars have available for them.

So, I think it is very important that the higher up decision makers at TM take more notice of this before it is too late and the "final" product hits the road or some irate customer sends out a press release over a national news wire about why he/she decided against buying the Model S after waiting for years.

Great post. I don't see how that would get blocked so hope it stays up. I think things like the vanity mirror light (while annoying it may not be included) can be relatively easily fixed aftermarket. You shouldn't have to do this but it sounds like your excitement about green technology, solar system and your admiration for the company and Elon Musk might be enough to overcome the disappointment about some interior features that probably should be there. The best way for Tesla to succeed is obviously for people to buy the car. I'm not suggesting you should buy the car if those interior features are deal breakers for you but if there are something that can be easily fixed later or have the possibility of being fixed by Tesla I think you'll be happy with your purchase. It's a personal decision of course.

Great post. I don't see how that would get blocked so hope it stays up. I think things like the vanity mirror light (while annoying it may not be included) can be relatively easily fixed aftermarket. You shouldn't have to do this but it sounds like your excitement about green technology, solar system and your admiration for the company and Elon Musk might be enough to overcome the disappointment about some interior features that probably should be there. The best way for Tesla to succeed is obviously for people to buy the car. I'm not suggesting you should buy the car if those interior features are deal breakers for you but if there are something that can be easily fixed later or have the possibility of being fixed by Tesla I think you'll be happy with your purchase. It's a personal decision of course.

Thank you for your input. The problem is I have searched all over the internet (Google,Amazon etc) and have not been able to find a small stick on battery operated light which could fit behind the sun visor (next to the mirror). The only small light I found was the type to stick on a key but the light would be pointing straight ahead. It won't work on the visor. Others are too large.

By the way my post is finally on the Tesla site. They did not block it or maybe posting from a second computer worked. Hopefully it will get a positive reaction.