Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated - Interior Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe Kessel's being ridiculous. He stated it's the only way to buy now "for a long time." Like you say while they're in start up mode. Which may take a few years before they can evolve to something different. With the current mall store configuration, they will not be selling off the floor either, nor will they carry inventory nearby. Not at those locations anyway. The already existing full (more) typical "dealer" show rooms where the Roadsters have been, will likely accommodate delivery on the spot, if the model on hand is what you want.
So 3 months is a "long time"? That's what is making me crazy. I said model introduction, not start-up mode. This will all be moot in 3 months. In 3 months you'll be able to walk into a store and see the absolute final car that you will receive when you order. That is what everyone is wound up about.

If you need more info than you currently have and need to lock in within the next 3 months then you should defer. Period. This was one of the reasons we dropped from Sig to General Production.

They absolutely can sell off the floor. Spec cars can be housed at service locations and can be brought over to the store or the customer can visit the service center to take delivery. They will end up building spec cars if there is a gap in the line. They did this with Roadsters. It's the right way to run an assembly line. But that is not what ckessel was complaining about.

I was repeating my desire to know what I was buying before signing a MVPA. Obviously not a reasonable request. Some people take this as sign of negativism. So be it.

My post count may be low, but my sign-up date sure isn't July 2012.

After some professional bashing by a July 2012 poster, I'm outahere. Please enjoy Tesla without me.

So I went and looked at the post again. You might want to also look at it again. He disagreed with you, in the same tone you'd disagreed with him. That's all. I really don't see the bashing. And my post that you quoted wasn't directed at you. Not sure why you took it that way.

As far as join dates go, everyone is welcome. I'd like to see you stick around, you've had a long history and experiences to share. But our new TMC members are also welcome and should feel free to express their opinions, also.

Just my two cents.

I was repeating my desire to know what I was buying before signing a MVPA. Obviously not a reasonable request. Some people take this as sign of negativism. So be it.

My post count may be low, but my sign-up date sure isn't July 2012.

After some professional bashing by a July 2012 poster, I'm outahere. Please enjoy Tesla without me.

For what is worth W8MM, I hope you change your mind. Even with the occasional in-fighting this is the best place to get information on what should be a pretty great car.

I've avoided speaking up because, well, I do know ASCII is a super sucky low bandwidth information transfer, and I like to assume best intentions. And, frankly, I waited only 2.5 years for my car, and some Model S folks have now been waiting longer. But there is an incredible sense of vouja-dais. From the lack of communication to the ever-changing specs. Tesla tries <very> hard, but they are running fast and lean. Ship and iterate. It's a far better strategy for paradigm shifts than 3-year development cycles, but there are loose ends flapping in the breeze. It sometimes sucks being a customer of that, but I would so go through it again, including the very uncomfortable meeting in Menlo Park after the price increase, to get where I am now.

Do not stop complaining; if customers don't complain, ship and iterate has no advantage. But do avoid personal attacks. Assume everyone here has the best intentions; the mods work hard to keep it that way. And if you don't have first hand knowledge, or second hand knowledge from a viable source, think twice about guessing - that's how those big gaps in ASCII bandwidth get filled with Mr. Evil.

This is the longest time I've spent on any forum (augh, the day the WELL ruined USENET!!!). Reasonable arguments are fine, ad hominem, not so much.

Oh! That reminds me. I had never really looked at the visors before. When I was at Menlo Park recently, I checked out the visors in two of the cars. One was lighted, with mirror. The other just had the mirror. I assume that neither of these is the final design, but that they were earlier versions. I will be interested to see what the final product looks like!

IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

Last edited:
Well as a 6'8 driver I appreciate all the visibility I can get.

As a 5'7" driver, I can appreciate that you want visibility. A sunvisor that is wide enough so that it's lowest rotation blocks the sunglare when the sun is at 10-20 degrees above the horizon should not negatively impact your visibility. You just rotate it until it's high enough not to obstruct your view.

What am I missing here? A rotating visor can block any amount of vertical view from zero at horizontal to the maximum depth of the visor at vertical. The current visor is 4 1/8" deep at its widest point. Most car visors are 4 1/2" to 6". They are not fixed, so can be rotated to an appropriate level for any height driver. When the visor is narrow, and the driver is not tall, they are not useful in blocking sunlight at low angles.