Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undesired reset to 30 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read this topic in the FAQ that is in my signature. There are many reasons why the Tesla might back off. If you see it happens when the A/C kicks in, it could be a result of constrained wiring to the transformer (power companies are allowed to undersize conductors that are buried in the ground), or could be a bad motor start capacitor on the A/C unit that draws way too much power on start-up (which won't trip the circuit breakers because it isn't sustained long enough). It could be an overloaded transformer, or a long long run between the transformer and service entrance. It could even be a voltage that's too low to begin with.

Upon conducting a Google Maps "street view" of your location, it was quite easy to determine the root cause of your charging issue.
It is quite simply the crooked metallic sign leaning against your residential feed to your weatherhead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Funny
Reactions: immolated
Caprice,

Just to try to visualize the "reset to 30A" that you are seeing, are you seeing one of the two following scenarios?

You plug the car in.
Get into the car.
You see the max current setting is at 30A.
You select the current increase until it says 40A.
You walk away from the car and it charges away.
You come back to the car all charged up, unplug and drive away.
The next time you plug into the wall you get back in and it again says 30A (and repeat from here)

You plug the car in.
Get into the car.
You see the max current setting is at 30A.
You select the current increase until it says 40A.
You leave the car charging for one hour.
You come back to the car while it is still charging and it now shows you that it is charging at a maximum of 30A.

Peter

i've recently experienced scenario #1 these past few months with my NEMA 14-50 set up. not sure what is going on.