Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Charging 48 amps on a 50 amp breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CG88

Oct 26, 2023
USA
I recently had a gen 3 wall charger installed where the electrician used a 50 amp breaker but when I turn on the wall charger, it configures as if it’s installed with a 60 amp breaker. The car charges at a rate of 48 amps which doesn’t seem safe. Any thoughts as to why this would be happening? I tried restarting the charger but it still configured itself as if it’s on a 60 amp breaker.

I recently had a gen 3 wall charger installed where the electrician used a 50 amp breaker but when I turn on the wall charger, it configures as if it’s installed with a 60 amp breaker. The car charges at a rate of 48 amps which doesn’t seem safe. Any thoughts as to why this would be happening? I tried restarting the charger but it still configured itself as if it’s on a 60 amp breaker.

Here is the manual for the Gen 3 wall connector, in case you dont have it. The commissioning procedure starts on page 28. You will need to do the procedure and set it for a 50amp circuit.

You are correct, it should not be charging at 48amps with a 50amp circuit.

It’s because the Wall Connector hasn’t been configured using the Wifi interface. I believe mine defaulted to the 60A setting, and it’s changed by logging into the web interface and changing the selection.

You can run the commissioning procedure yourself, or just dial down the charging current as you feel necessary.
Got it setup, thanks for help!

Reactions: TomB985
Got it setup, thanks for help!
I would question your electrician. He should've known about the 20% headroom rule. I'm guessing he thought hardwired Tesla chargers are the same as 15-40 with an output of 40 amps. I bet thousands of unaware home owners around the country have 50 amp breakers and are charging at 48 amps. Scary situation. I've only heard of fires from 15-40 outlets though.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54