Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twin charger without HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always get the HPWC later if you want but adding second charger after delivery more than doubles the cost. I think it is worthwhile to have second charger even if it isn't used much.

This is what I did. I bought an inventory car that was twin charger equipped but didn't come with an HPWC and a few months later bought the HPWC. I typically charge at only 24 amps, but I love the aesthetics of the HPWC, the convenience of leaving my UMC in the car all the time, and the ability to help travelers who might want an 80-amp charge while in my area. I've charged > 24 amps very few times at home but when I've needed it, I've been glad to have it.

My reason for buying the HPWC was entirely different: it was simply to leave the UMC in the car all the time, and NEVER take it out. I can just see myself pulling up to a charger 200 miles away from home, and realizing that I forgot the UMC at home. And this is EXACTLY the kind of little thing that happens to me all the time. If you're thinking I could have just bought another UMC, I'd still need a CS-100 or HPWC or something to maximize charging rate on those rare occasions when I just gotta get out the door and the car isn't done.

Same here, but instead of buying a HPWC, I spent less than half that on an extra UMC. Now I have two, one permanently in the car and one permanently in the wall socket. And if I lose the one in the car somehow, I can always start using the one from the garage.

Yeah, esthetics... I guess I don't spend enough time in the garage for that to matter to me.

Given the limited options in charging, and the need for a backup plan in case of ICE'ing/overutilization/failure/etc... I aleays recommend having your UMC on a road trip. I'll its gogint to take is one situation where a J1772 is iced and not being to use the RV park, etc.. nearby and you will wonder why you didn't bother to take the 90 second to toss your UMC in the trunk.

I totally agree. I'd never go on a road trip with out my UMC (and a nice collection of adapters and a heavy duty extension cord and soon, hopefully, a CHAdeMO adpator).

I was just commenting on the issue of "pulling up to a charger 200 miles away from home, and realizing that I forgot the UMC at home".

This is what I did. I bought an inventory car that was twin charger equipped but didn't come with an HPWC and a few months later bought the HPWC. I typically charge at only 24 amps, but I love the aesthetics of the HPWC, the convenience of leaving my UMC in the car all the time, and the ability to help travelers who might want an 80-amp charge while in my area. I've charged > 24 amps very few times at home but when I've needed it, I've been glad to have it.

Indeed.

You don't really need it.. but I think there are some factors that make the HPWC compelling:

I got the HPWC for more than just for aesthetics (although I must admit it looks cool):

- I plan on an 100A installation at some point... while the 50A circuit I currently have is plenty for overnight charging... there are cases where a "fast turnaround" or decision for spontaneous trip have come up, and the near-60MPH charge rate would be preferable as opposed to the under-30MPH rate

- I don't consider the UMC "permanent installation" device. As a matter of fact the "M" in "UMC" stands for "mobile". I understand leaving it plugged in most of the the time, but I'm not sure that time, flex, weight, etc... won't take it's toll on the plug-head/adapter combo.

-The HPWC has a cable hanger and "plug hook" in addition as well as a slightly longer cable.

- I want a charging cable in the car at all times. That means that if I want a permanent UMC for the garage, I'm already at $650. Spending the difference for the HPWC for the above reasons isn't that much of an additional expense in the overall scheme.

scaesare;560974I got the HPWC for more than just for aesthetics (although I must admit it looks cool):[/QUOTE said:
I do really like the look of the HPWC. Most EVSEs are down right ugly. Even the much lower power custom Porsche EVSE for the Panamera S E-Hybrid is big and blah compared to the Tesla HPWC...

layer_chapter_3_2.jpg

I got the twin chargers AND the HPWC. Mostly (at the time) because I could, and I was pretty much getting "everything." After a year, I'm still glad I got the HPWC but have rarely needed greater than 40 amp charging.

One possible thought: If you aren't going to charge to 90% daily there may be times when you want greater than 40 amp charging. Yes, I'm aware of what Elon said about batteries. No need to go there again. However, there are still many people who are not charging there MS's to 90% when they wont "need" the range. I'm one of them. Having said that, there were a couple of times in the past year when I needed more than the 140 or so rated miles that my car has on it every morning. I needed the extra range quicker than 40 amp charging would provide or I couldn't use the Model S. So, if you're gonna charge to 50-70% regularly as some are still doing; you may need the 80 amp charging at some point. Worth the money? It's a personal call. It IS for me. Do you NEED the HPWC? No. I'd still get the twin chargers though.

Hi aviators99, Since you are from the same general area as me. Can you tell me if you were able to find these 70A/80A chargers outside the home and did you use twin charger outside your home. If yes, it will just help me make the decision. If not, then I guess issue is more to future proof my car. I agree that post delivery, cost is very high (3600 vs 1500 pre delivery). Thanks a lot, Amit

I know you already made your decision, but just to answer your specific question: no, there are none around here (except at my house and a bunch of my friends' houses).

Indeed I made the decision to add twin chargers. I think within a city they gave good value. I am going to use them when I visit Tampa in April at Tesla service center in Tampa. Since you have HPWC I installed in your house, can you tell me how much does it cost to install one ? I have 200 A power for my home. Is this enough to install HPWC or do I need to upgrade.

Indeed I made the decision to add twin chargers. I think within a city they gave good value. I am going to use them when I visit Tampa in April at Tesla service center in Tampa. Since you have HPWC I installed in your house, can you tell me how much does it cost to install one ? I have 200 A power for my home. Is this enough to install HPWC or do I need to upgrade.

That should be fine, assuming that you don't have anything crazy drawing power in the house. I have 3 A/C zones and a pool + the usual stuff with 200A and no problem.

I suggest Joseph Myers at 561-654-8452
He did my house and all of my friends and no complaints and very reasonable. The Tesla SC is now recommending him as well.

I'm sure that I'm wrong about this, but... I just did a quick Google and discovered that the Leaf's maximum charge rate is 6.6 kW and that the Volt's was 3.3 kW back in the summer with the expectation of an upgraded charger in the future delivering 6.6 kW. Is this true? If so, I am utterly flabbergasted and shocked that neither of these vehicles can utilize a charger beyond 30A. That explains why we don't see any L2 chargers at 70A or 80A. Tesla's on-board chargers can deliver 19 kW, or almost three times the amount of current delivered by a Leaf or Volt charger.

So, is the Model S the only production EV that can charge higher than 6.6 kW?
It appears that the BMW i3 will have a 7.7kW charger (240VAC @ 32A) and optional SAE Combo (J1772 + 50kW DC Fast Charge). The Tesla sourced 10kW AC chargers in the RAV4 EV and the upcoming Mercedes B-Class EV are the only other ones available in USA that I can think of that exceed 6.6kW. Those are essentially the same as the single charger in the Model S (40A max at 277VAC max). The 43kW Chameleon Charger in the Renault Zoe is nice, but its added benefits are inaccessible in USA due to its use of 3-phase power (230VAC @ 3x32A and 3x63A). With 1-phase it can only pull ~7.4kW (230VAC @ 32A)