Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC dropped to 60A (destination charger)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm out at a campground and when I checked in they were like hey we have a Tesla charger so you don't need to use the outlets at your site. I usually just charge at 40A at my campsite but figured what the hell it's there why not use it instead.

I plugged in and it's a gen2!!!! So it went straight to 80A and charged at 80A for like 15 min then I looked at the app to see how long it was gonna be it said charging at 60A/60A instead of the 80A it showed when I plugged in. I'm 99% sure this in an issue with their equipment and not my car but I wanted y'all's opinion on it.

I'm guessing they installed smaller wire than necessary and the charger was like hey bro not on my watch. Because when I did a HPWC at my mom's house I used 4AWG wire and it works flawlessly for 4 years now. Or they didn't do the right dip switches for 60A service.

But is there any possibility it could be my onboard charger going out or is that not really a symptom of failure?