Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Communication Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2024 Model Y and had two Gen 3 Wall Connectors installed on 60A breakers that utilize group management and charge up to 48A. Everything works perfectly except when I set a schedule for charging to take.place at off-peak rates. When I do this, it causes a CP_a074 charging equipment communications error and does not start charging as scheduled. I have to disconnect and reconnect to start charging and this is causes my Model Y to no longer show parked in the app but instead a generic Electric Vehicle. The app also then reports the Model Y as a non-Tesla vehicle. The fix is to simply switch the breakers off and back on which then fixes the issue but is a tad annoying.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? The car and the wall connectors are all brand new. The install was done professionally, using the correct gauge wiring, breakers, etc.

I've scheduled a mobile tech to visit in a couple of weeks but seeing if anyone else has had this issue.

Attachments

• 20240309_001051.jpg
    20240309_001051.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240309_001106.jpg
    20240309_001106.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240309_132752_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_132752_Tesla.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240309_133212_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_133212_Tesla.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240309_003135.jpg
    20240309_003135.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 14
I am not sure scheduled charging is compatible with power sharing. In any case, instead of using scheduled charging in the car try adding both chargers to your app and set the allowable charging window to your off-peak timeframe on each connector.

IMG_2142.jpeg

Thanks for the swift response. I just changed the schedule from my Y to my wall connectors and will see how it does tonight. Both connectors were already loaded in the app and part of my home setup.

On group management, I've not seen anything that states you cannot use scheduling while owning multiple units. Only that you cannot use the meter functionality with dynamic power management.

Our wall connector had a similar issue, it would only work when in compatibility mode and show the car as some generic electric car, flipping breaker would fix it but for only one session then would do it again, wall connector no power error.

I think I caused it by walking away with my phone during the initial setup update process, it got hung up but eventually worked.... sort of but had this problem. I did a manual firmware downgrade and the issue was solved, it even updated to the latest firmware later on its own without issues.

Reactions: Visvism
Our wall connector had a similar issue, it would only work when in compatibility mode and show the car as some generic electric car, flipping breaker would fix it but for only one session then would do it again, wall connector no power error.

I think I caused it by walking away with my phone during the initial setup update process, it got hung up but eventually worked.... sort of but had this problem. I did a manual firmware downgrade and the issue was solved, it even updated to the latest firmware later on its own without issues.
Thanks for this, how did you perform the manual firmware downgrade? Is that an easy process?

I'm waiting to see if it happens again now that I have scheduling on the wall connector rather than the Y, as suggested above. But if that fails I'll try what you've done.

Checked the app and it had already reverted to non-Tesla scheduled for charging so I went ahead and did a factory reset of each charger and manually downgraded the firmware from 23.44.0 to 23.24.4. This time I used my laptop and the browser address (192.168.92.1) rather than the Tesla Pro's app. This appears to be a more reliable method with no errors or faults reported during the process. I will check tonight to see if things work and again for the next few days, but I hope your solution is the FIX! @Jacob Vega

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob Vega
Checked the app and it had already reverted to non-Tesla scheduled for charging so I went ahead and did a factory reset of each charger and manually downgraded the firmware from 23.44.0 to 23.24.4. This time I used my laptop and the browser address (192.168.92.1) rather than the Tesla Pro's app. This appears to be a more reliable method with no errors or faults reported during the process. I will check tonight to see if things work and again for the next few days, but I hope your solution is the FIX! @Jacob Vega
I hope it fixes it, as your issue definitely sounded like mine. I also used my laptop to do the downgrade vs the Tesla Pro app.

• Love
Reactions: Visvism
I hope it fixes it, as your issue definitely sounded like mine. I also used my laptop to do the downgrade vs the Tesla Pro app.
Going to knock on wood, but as of right now all seems to be working as intended. I have unplugged and plugged in a couple times and my Model Y shows up as expected within the app. I've even changed scheduling back to the vehicle instead of the home so that I could fine tune charging on solar and preconditioning. All is well (for the moment). Thank you for the suggestion to reset and downgrade the firmware. If it continues to work the rest of this week, I will cancel the mobile service visit that I have scheduled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_151950_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_151950_Tesla.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240310_152000_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_152000_Tesla.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 11