Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the shorts used up one of their ultimate weapons and it has no effect.

My guess is around 360, they will fire the second shot with a second sec investigation story.

Right now, it feels like these regulators are bought and paid for by the shorts. It won't surprise me that they push for some kind of unreasonable charge. *sugar* happens and if not perfectly executing is a crime, then all corps are guilty.

Makes sense to me. Was super confusing that you had to buy the performance upgrade separately from the performance car.
But if you got over your confusion and decided that you really want to use the car on the track, Tesla would have a higher margin. Wondering could this have a negative impact on Q4. Unless they calculated that P sales will double and bring in more new referrals.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I redid my share counts. If the short-sellers are still going when Tesla gets added to the S&P, I currently believe there will be a true squeeze, with the S&P funds and short sellers together trying to buy more shares than other shareholders are willing to sell. Of course, Andrew Left and Santos have already covered their short positions, so I suspect the short-sellers will get out before the S&P addition, so I think this is unlikely. It may still be difficult for the S&P funds to find all the shares they want to buy...

...has an "index squeeze" ever been documented? That is, a stock is added to an index, but the number of shares available for sale is less than the number which the index funds want to buy? What do the index funds do? I guess they'd bid the stock price to the moon, or maybe play options to try to replicate the stock price movement without buying shares?

I think we understand that Tesla's mission to end the use of fossil fuels is essentially charitable

Is there a better word than charitable? Perhaps virtuous, noble, socially responsible... When I think of charity I think of the giver giving x and the receiver receiving x (minus the not insignificant admin cost of the charity).

I redid my share counts. If the short-sellers are still going when Tesla gets added to the S&P, I currently believe there will be a true squeeze, with the S&P funds and short sellers together trying to buy more shares than other shareholders are willing to sell. Of course, Andrew Left and Santos have already covered their short positions, so I suspect the short-sellers will get out before the S&P addition, so I think this is unlikely. It may still be difficult for the S&P funds to find all the shares they want to buy...

...has an "index squeeze" ever been documented? That is, a stock is added to an index, but the number of shares available for sale is less than the number which the index funds want to buy? What do the index funds do? I guess they'd bid the stock price to the moon, or maybe play options to try to replicate the stock price movement without buying shares?

Why would there be a huge squeeze? Wouldn’t institutions be selling as the stock rises above their internal targets?

Also retail longs for that matter?

I’m over-invested in TSLA and I would definitely be selling some if it crosses $500. Maybe even $400.

Because I think it is former employees that the media has reported spilled secrets that Elon knew for a fact that they couldn't meet the goals he was telling everyone. So they would need to interview those employees to see what information they really have and then can compare that against what Tesla has shared with them.
And that still doesn’t mean shet. If some line guy says we can’t do it , but Elon , with more information says we can, his opinion wins. Is he overly optimistic, yes. Does he have a history of being overly optimistic, yes. Could Tesla exist if he was not unreasonably optimistic, no. SpaceX and Tesla exist more than any single thing, to Elon’s stubborn and unreasonable optimism.

The other thing that could trigger a squeeze "soon" is if the new board members go to a vote of the shareholders, and the people with shares lent out recall them so they can vote.

Why would there be a huge squeeze? Wouldn’t institutions be selling as the stock rises above their internal targets?

That's a thought that's crossed my mind. Anybody selling right now has failed to reassess their target following the "out of the ballpark" Q3 report. If institution fund managers have failed to reassess, they're slackers. I also expect many institutions that could not justify being in on TSLA prior to Q3 - because it was too risky, have had a change of heart. They'll be getting in, competing with the short sellers who are looking to cover - fastest wins.

Ugh the mythical short squeeze talk again! I remember what happened the last time.

In recent weeks, FBI agents have contacted former Tesla employees asking them for testimony in the criminal case. The former employees received subpoenas earlier in the probe, and FBI agents recently have sought to interview a number of them, the people said.​

In all the hub bub I failed to notice *former* employees. huh? What's up with that?

I think they're working off the depositions collected for that lawsuit a few months ago. They were most former employees.

According to the Electrek article, "(Tesla) said that they will adjust the price for the vehicles on order, but buyers who took delivery before today are out-of-luck."

Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance – punishing early adopters/reservation holders
Ahahahaha oh wow.

In hindsight, I'm super glad I downgraded to an AWD from a P3D- during that whole Track Mode fiasco. I dodged a bullet it seems.

My AWD drives fine, I'm not killing myself over 1 second from 0-60 in all honesty and I don't have to deal with this.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
According to the Electrek article, "(Tesla) said that they will adjust the price for the vehicles on order, but buyers who took delivery before today are out-of-luck."

Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance – punishing early adopters/reservation holders

Immediately regret clicking that link... (Fred's spin is always terrible). "Punishing early adopters". No, Fred you got exactly the car you ordered for exactly the price listed. Tesla's mission is to get electric car adoption to spread as quickly as possible, as widely as possible, and a critical part of that is price reduction. You have to know that Tesla does not wait for "model years" to change prices and features. You run Electrek, for crying out loud.

If you're not happy with what you're getting, at the price you're getting it, when you place your order... don't order a Tesla. It might change tomorrow (without warning, because they don't want to Osborne themselves). That doesn't change what you got. Drop the envy for someone later than you getting a better deal - the goal is that everyone in the future gets a great deal. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you be an early adopter - you wanted to be an early adopter.

Not to mention that it's not like he got "nothing" for the extra $5k, he got unlimited lifetime supercharging :Þ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.