Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's something all companies strive for. Xerox loves that people frequently call Copy Machines, Xerox Machines. Band-Aid for a bandage, Kleenex for a tissue. Google for a Search Engine, ect. My father-in-law used to tell everyone I worked for IBM because in his mind, anyone who worked on computers worked for Big Blue. iPad may become the generic name for a Tablet.

How awesome would it be is all electric cars were referred to as a Tesla? I have co-workers who have nicknamed me Tesla for fun (because I brag about the Model S and how badly I want one). As a shareholder as well, dude, I say bring it! ;)

Are you sure? I've read that companies go out of their way to prevent that. See:
Generic trademark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia said:
...Google has gone to lengths to prevent this process, discouraging publications from using the term 'googling' in reference to web searches...

The reason is that if your brand name becomes the main word to describe the product, the brand name becomes (by U.S. law at least) public domain.

Luckily, "Electric Vehicle" is quite universal, so I don't think Tesla's in trouble.

I guess there are two ways to look at it. On one hand if you are small like Tesla, the brand recognition is a good thing! I guess you can argue that once you are big enough to encourage such notoriety then you would want to protect your IP. Maybe if you are selling a product like "Kleenex tissues" ("facial tissues" being the generic descriptor) or "Velcro Brand fasteners" for Velcro brand name hook-and-loop fasteners." Those are things people will not use a search engine (I avoided using the term "googling" there) to look for.

But you have to admit, from an advertisers standpoint, when someone tell's you to Google it, you are less likely to pull it up on Bing or Yahoo! search aren't you? If you associate a copier with a company and think, "Xerox" then you are more likely to look them up. I know Apple is very protective of their logo's and likeness to a fault. Maybe I just think it's idiotic to not want that notoriety associated with your product because they don't want to be accused of being narcissistic? Maybe? :)

Then again, what do I know, I'm just an IT guy... :D

Well TSLA is down about 21% from its peak on 3/27. But most stocks are down over the same period. The broader market is struggling, and so will TSLA. Stocks are highly correlated these days. Just the nature of the beast. TSLA dropped over 26% last summer when the markets tanked over Euro zone fears. Those declines had little to do with Tesla's own prospects. If the markets continue to trend down (and who would be surprised after the unprecedented gains seen between 10/4 and Q1 of this year), then TSLA will be dragged down with it. I wouldn't be shocked if TSLA drops another 20% from here.

...I wouldn't be shocked if TSLA drops another 20% from here.

If it's going to happen, I'd prefer that it happens before the first production Model S rolls off that shiny new assembly line. I haven't purchased any stock yet. 8^D

On edit: I'm not sure how you're calculating that number 21%. Maybe I'm missing something? On 3/27 the peak price was $37.94. Today, even at its lowest point, the price was exactly $31 (which obviously triggered a little bit of buying). 37.94 - 31= $6.94. That's a bit over 18% of $37.94. Unless I've lost my mind.

Last edited:
... Stocks are highly correlated these days. Just the nature of the beast...
I've noticed this. And it kind of mystifies me. Of course, I've never claimed to understand the market, which is why as I've so often repeated, my "real" investments are in mutual funds; I don't try to pick stocks.

I wonder if most shares nowadays are held in indexed mutual funds so that when investors redeem their mutual fund shares, the funds have to sell, and every issue goes down, and when investors buy fund shares, the funds have to buy stock shares and every issue goes up. I have no idea at all if this is the case. I'm just wondering. It could explain the linkage of diverse issues. That would leave a smaller number of shares being traded individually, to react to actual news about any particular company. Managed funds could be doing indexing as well: Preferentially holding the issues the manager likes, but within that allocation buying and selling all their holdings in response to their investors' buying or redeeming shares of the fund. The manager would react to news about a given company, while investors' actions would affect all the fund's holdings equally. Again, I'm just wondering.

If it's going to happen, I'd prefer that it happens before the first production Model S rolls off that shiny new assembly line. I haven't purchased any stock yet. 8^D

On edit: I'm not sure how you're calculating that number 21%. Maybe I'm missing something? On 3/27 the peak price was $37.94. Today, even at its lowest point, the price was exactly $31 (which obviously triggered a little bit of buying). 37.94 - 31= $6.94. That's a bit over 18% of $37.94. Unless I've lost my mind.

It closed at $37.94 on 3/27, but its intraday high was $39.95, which also happens to be its all-time high.

Stock prices are correlated because so much of almost every company's value depends on overall economic well-being . This correlation is called a stock's beta, which translates a 1% change in the broader market into a beta% change in the particular equity's price. Stocks tend to have a beta of about 1.0. I'm guessing that TSLA is much higher.

Stock prices are correlated because so much of almost every company's value depends on overall economic well-being . This correlation is called a stock's beta, which translates a 1% change in the broader market into a beta% change in the particular equity's price. Stocks tend to have a beta of about 1.0. I'm guessing that TSLA is much higher.
Thanks. So I think what you're saying is that a lot of the buying and selling of a stock (or the differential between buy orders and sell orders) is investors reacting to the overall economy rather than to considerations about the company itself. I guess I can understand that.

Got proxy voting materials this morning. Seems there will be a meeting in June to elect 2 new officers

*edit* here's the PDF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39847/Model S/TESLA MOTORS INC_AR-PS-10K_secured_4-13-12_v1.pdf
Yep. I got that, too. I read Elon's letter to stockholders, and the stuff about the matters being voted on (two new board members and Price Waterhouse as auditor) and skimmed a few more pages and then stopped reading. VERY long document.

I voted FOR and FOR. There are companies and funds I don't trust even when I own their stock, and I sometimes vote against the board's recommendations, for all the good it does. But I like and trust Tesla, and I like and trust Elon Musk. So I voted with the board's recommendations. Again, as if my 150 shares are going to make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.