Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been pointed out before, but just look at this chart with TSLA and the NASDAQ index overlaid the last 3 months. More or less TSLA is following the general market just with more volatility, and whenever it has differed a lot from the general market movement, it has always corrected again. So until some real heavy news (such as larger demand and production capacity than expected, raving reviews etc. etc.) I think this will continue.
Capture.PNG

I'm forced to disagree. Also, for me to sell any position at this moment would be stupid. It is $1 from it's absolute (The execs are leaving and the company is falling apart bottom). I bought @ 34. I'm not selling until after earnings , at the very least. This is still pissing me off. We lost 28% from the top for absolutely no reason.

Absolutely no reason? Perhaps we lost 28% with little news, but not for a lack of a reason. Clearly you're in over your head. Stocks are governed by simple supply and demand. If there is more demand to buy TSLA than there is to sell at the current price, the stock will rise...and vice-versa. Where this demand comes from can be news, earnings, technicals, or just plain intuition and investors assessment of risk-reward. It's not much different than how a sports line can move due to the pressures of supply and demand at the virgin line.

You guys are horrible :cursing:

This manipulated stock is going down the toilet for absolutely no reason!!!!! Tesla is an amazing company, but hedge Funds are playing this baby like a puppet. Really freaking annoying me.

I'm not sure how many times we can say this but please get out of the stock market or at least Tesla stock. I don't think this kind of investing fits your comfort level or you're simply trying to get attention. If you truly loved Tesla that much, you'd be posting in other areas of the forum, asking questions, and trying to learn more about the products. Every post is a cry for help.

2012 Q1 Earnings Call Predictions

OK, less than 24 hours until the 2012 Q1 earning call. Let's go public with our predictions!

Here's mine:

1) Tesla will announce the obvious:
. a) Toyota will deliver some Rav-4s with Tesla powertrains this summer/fall.
. b) Tesla has taken configuration orders for over 300 Model S's so far, and has over 10,000 deposits for Model S, 1,000 for Model X.
. c) Tesla lost money during Q1.

2) Tesla will confirm that Model S deliveries are on track for first deliveries in July.
. a) Elon will add color with the phrase: "or sooner." Stock will climb into the mid 30's.
. b) If Elon says the phrase "probably sooner" or "maybe even June" instead, the stock will hit 40 by the end of the week.

3) Tesla may announce the timeline for first Release Candidate vehicles.

4) At least one analyst will ask about additional financing requirements. If the answer is any different than "we don't need any additional money through at least the end of 2012," the stock will plummet into the teens. If that happens, someone please call 911 for Iamthecaliflower.

5) I hope someone asks about the Toyota deal, as $100million doesn't make sense for the 2600 cars Toyota is talking about. There have to be additional vehicles involved, or Tesla is making too much money on each Rav4 powertrain they deliver.

6) No amount of good news will trigger a short squeeze. There's still plenty of room to doubt Tesla's ability to execute.

OK, less than 24 hours until the 2012 Q1 earning call. Let's go public with our predictions!

Here's mine:

+1 on your predictions in general

5) I hope someone asks about the Toyota deal, as $100million doesn't make sense for the 2600 cars Toyota is talking about. There have to be additional vehicles involved, or Tesla is making too much money on each Rav4 powertrain they deliver.

I bet that sum includes development and/or prototypes costs and/or other costs, not just component costs per vehicle. Those might even be the smaller part.

6) No amount of good news will trigger a short squeeze. There's still plenty of room to doubt Tesla's ability to execute.

Yep, that will take more.

as warren buffett says "when everyone else is greedy be nervous and when everyone else is nervous be greedy"

The actual quote, which you can read here, is:

Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful.

Buffett is not saying go counter to what others are doing. He's saying that if you insist on trying to time the market, then go counter. Big difference. You don't go buying into Kodak, for instance, just because everyone is selling.

Iamthecaliflower should get the bit about excitement being his/her enemy embossed on his headboard.

The actual quote, which you can read here, is:

Buffett is not saying go counter to what others are doing. He's saying that if you insist on trying to time the market, then go counter. Big difference. You don't go buying into Kodak, for instance, just because everyone is selling.

Iamthecaliflower should get the bit about excitement being his/her enemy embossed on his headboard.

Thanks smorgasboard for chiming in. You are from the context of this quote in pointing out that warren buffet in this quote is not insisting on timing the market.

however I would say however that your characterization as a 'big difference' is not really fair to Warren's intent, not to mention his actual practice.

Take, for example, your suggested purchase of Kodak. No we don't see buffet buying kodak right now. however what about an example such as bank of america? if you recall while everyone else was selling it, he decided to put in 5,000,000,000 dollars.

I would contend that this has more to do with being a value investor than it does with market timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.