Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Helps when trading short-term that in Norway capital gains tax is 28% regardless of short or long term.

I guess this is good news for me as a Norwegian, but this is my first year in the stock market so I still haven't filled my taxes. Just out of curiosity, how are stocks taxed in the US?

7 % today was yet another good day. I think it was interesting to see how Blankenship's blog post (probably) impacted the stock price.

I'm not saying sell it all. Not even sell a bunch, just take a little off the top. If the stock price never falls back down and you can't buy back in, that is a high-quality problem to have. Nothing to be upset about.

I sold 8% of my shares at $30.85 there when I posted that. If I never get back in, you won't see me sad about that.

Maybe we should have a separate day-trader thread or so. I think for most here, messages such as 'sell 8% but keep 92%' are quite confusing, especially when they come on a continuous basis and one loses track of how they are related to each other and the current stock price at 11:37 am and 1.2 seconds versus 28 min earlier. Just my opinion.

Maybe we should have a separate day-trader thread or so. I think for most here, messages such as 'sell 8% but keep 92%' are quite confusing, especially when they come on a continuous basis and one loses track of how they are related to each other and the current stock price at 11:37 am and 1.2 seconds versus 28 min earlier. Just my opinion.

+1 - The traders could use their own thread. They're not investing, they are gambling. ;-)

+1 - The traders could use their own thread. They're not investing, they are gambling. ;-)

Always with the either/or around here. You can regularly buy and sell shares of a company and still be an investor. There has not been a single day since Tesla's IPO that I haven't held a large position in Tesla. When I do sell, it is with the intention of buying even more shares later at lower prices. What is wrong with that? Are people that only shop at Macy's when they are having their One Day Sale gamblers? Are people that decide to sell their rental unit when the retail market is in a bubble gamblers? Is a farmer that decides to sell more corn and store less this month because prices are unusually high right now a gambler? Does the bank ask you when you are cashing your check whether you made that money after a day or 10 years? No.

I am an investor; but I choose to take advantage of the volatility in TSLA (a stock and company that I know extremely well) to grow that investment. My core investment, those shares that I have no intention of selling for a very long time has doubled in size since the IPO. All of those additional shares have come from profits in the portion of my investment that I trade regularly, not new deposits into my account.

We could split the thread if you want. But traders/investors is not the way to split it. First, if everyone left in this thread is truly a long-term investor (whatever that means), then this thread should be almost completely inactive because you shouldn't care about the day-to-day movement in the stock price or what the news of the day is. Second, if breaking news that would affect everyone's investment choices is posted in one thread, everyone that reads the other thread will not see it right away. Worst yet, we'd probably have duplicates of all news in each thread.

Maybe a better separation would be a thread for trading strategies and technical analysis vs. news and general discussion. Whether your trading strategy is to buy today and set a $300 sell limit order then spend the next few years drinking beer in a hammock, or it is to write a computer program that tries to squeeze every single penny out of the volatility, you can chat about it to your heart's desire without creating too much noise here for those that just want to know about market moving news or talk about how stupid they think the shorts are.

Does that sound like a reasonable break-up?

I agree wit Citizen-T, but I still would like a separate thread that concentrates on long term strategy and company fundementals, per Norbert's suggestion. I prefer to hold stock for years or decades, and I don't want to wade through all the posts about technical stock analysis about what time of day to put in your order.

GSP

They are a nice validation of Tesla tech, but also pretty much expected, and such a small volume production isn't significant. Unless Toyota orders a bunch more.

Been reading everything I can about it. Seems very interesting because the Toyota people are starting to talk like they might expand the program. Reviews are very positive and Tesla is getting credit for most of it in the media. More brand exposure is definitely a good thing.

Bah! Dang it money transfers! I was going to buy 100 shares on Friday. Guess I will wait for another down turn... if there will be one. :/

I'm in the same boat, arghh. Between Ally Bank and E*Trade--both are exclusively online businesses--why a "quick" transfer has to take 5 business days, I just don't understand.

What do you consider a down turn, how much would it have to drop for you to buy? Or are you looking for a number of days of subsequent drops? Trying to figure out a strategy.

Btw. Please nobody mess with this thread, it's one of the most visited. I check it every day.

Maybe a better separation would be a thread for trading strategies and technical analysis vs. news and general discussion.

it's more that there is an increasing amount of messages one cannot understand without knowing that you are operating against the 50-day and 200-day averages and so on.

Finally the stock is going up again after being at its lowest point since more than half a year, and I read "sell" and think "What?", until I remember that you are probably going to buy again in 23 hours.

They are a nice validation of Tesla tech, but also pretty much expected, and such a small volume production isn't significant. Unless Toyota orders a bunch more.

I think this misses the point. You say expected but I doubt others expected to read good reviews like "holy crap" .

This cements Tesla as not a "two trick pony" and that they can work well with others. All good for the prospects of the future.

Don't get greedy guys. If you are completely out of cash and have shares you bought at $26 last week, pat yourself on the back and raise some cash. Either that or don't complain that you can't buy any more shares the next time we are down big.

This is the hard part, the selling on the way up.

As per usual, I'm not talking to you long-term investors.

EDIT:
For context TSLA was trading at $30.85 at the time of writing.

I was not expecting such a reversal already, but I'll take it. Looks like there is resistance at the 50-day. Will have to see how this plays out, but we could retest last week's lows. Maybe I didn't miss the chance after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.