Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Visualization change on 2022.28.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
I noticed that with 2022.28.2 that traffic now shows up on the instrument cluster which is neat. However it seems that now when you have navigation on the traffic is wrong. I was driving yesterday in some traffic and noticed that when a route is selected the blue line turns yellow/orange in some spots and then when you turn off the navigation it shows red/orange in other locations that kind of overlap but not exactly. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it. It seems like the traffic when on navigation is coming from a different source (or is delayed substantially) than the traffic that is shown on the map.

I noticed that with 2022.28.2 that traffic now shows up on the instrument cluster which is neat. However it seems that now when you have navigation on the traffic is wrong. I was driving yesterday in some traffic and noticed that when a route is selected the blue line turns yellow/orange in some spots and then when you turn off the navigation it shows red/orange in other locations that kind of overlap but not exactly. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it. It seems like the traffic when on navigation is coming from a different source (or is delayed substantially) than the traffic that is shown on the map.
Traffic showing up on the instrument cluster? Not sure what you mean by that. As to the second thing, would need to see pictures…

OP apparently now has Full Self Driving Beta, and apparently did not know that. I never had red, orange, and yellow vehicle path lines though.
No I didn't randomly get FSD...

Here is the traffic shown on the IC.

1664933652996.jpeg

Here is the normal traffic:
1664933835929.jpeg

And with routing on:
1664933862261.jpeg

You can see the yellow doesn't perfectly line up with the orange/red traffic. Not to bad here, but in some instances it was much worse. Talking to someone more knowledgable than I, the traffic while on Nav is based on Tesla's data (which is what Tesla uses when calculating routes) where the regular traffic comes from Google. Previously it was just hidden from the user though.

View attachment 860061

View attachment 860067

And with routing on:
View attachment 860069

You can see the yellow doesn't perfectly line up with the orange/red traffic. Not to bad here, but in some instances it was much worse. Talking to someone more knowledgable than I, the traffic while on Nav is based on Tesla's data (which is what Tesla uses when calculating routes) where the regular traffic comes from Google. Previously it was just hidden from the user though.

Ah I follow you. Yes this was added some weeks back.

Yep. Our S85 doesn't have AP and one of the software updates from a month ago now includes color-coded traffic indications on the IC display, which I find very helpful. It weirded me out at first when the navigation orientation on the IC would sporadically zoom in, zoom out, and rotate back and forth but I'm noticing less of that now.

View attachment 860061

View attachment 860067

And with routing on:
View attachment 860069

Without the NAV on, you have traffic in both directions shown on each side of the road. With NAV on, you are only seeing the average of both sides of the road.

Without the NAV on, you have traffic in both directions shown on each side of the road. With NAV on, you are only seeing the average of both sides of the road.
No, its not the average of both directions, that would be silly. As I mentioned its Tesla's own traffic data as opposed to googles that is shown on the maps when Nav is not engaged.

• Disagree
Reactions: kaamaan
When you only have one display to represent two directions, and the two directions are of different lengths, and perhaps different traffic intensities (one side is red and the other side has no traffic or less traffic), how would you represent the traffic intensity with one colored line? An average of the traffic intensity seems logical and the only way to show traffic.

When you only have one display to represent two directions, and the two directions are of different lengths, and perhaps different traffic intensities (one side is red and the other side has no traffic or less traffic), how would you represent the traffic intensity with one colored line? An average of the traffic intensity seems logical and the only way to show traffic.
Not sure I buy that either. It’s just showing the direction of travel’s traffic, surely?

This looks like one line of yellow traffic intensity along the large line of the NAV route. It has combined the two separate, different length lines with one broader, solid color yellow line. Maybe it is just omitting the information from the other direction not traveled though. I would like to see both, and I assume both were still represented, since just a couple of months ago there was always just one traffic intensity line for both directions of travel, whether NAV routes were displayed or not.
1664977018030.png

Last edited:
No, its not the average of both directions, that would be silly. As I mentioned its Tesla's own traffic data as opposed to googles that is shown on the maps when Nav is not engaged.
That could explain why the routing defies explanation where I am. There can't be enough Teslas locally to create a viable traffic database. There are probably <50,000 Teslas in the whole state of NY and the majority of them are in the NYC metro area. The small number that are in the Hudson Valley can't be sufficient to do traffic-based routing. This may be why my navigation avoids major roads and prioritizes rural byways. The routing must be based on speed limits and the resulting travel time.

Reactions: jaguar36