Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what is behind the "you can not drive it" policy.

I think it's nothing more than that there are only a few of these in existence at the moment and they don't want any "mishaps" that may take one of the few out of service. I would guess that 2 or 3 months down the road when they have "D's" a plenty that test drives will resume as they are for the other models now.

Mike

It does remind me a bit of people going for their driver's test here in Florida. It is all done in a lot behind the DMV building. I asked one of the inspectors why they do not go out on the road (as they did in ancient times when I got my ticket) and I was told it was not safe to do so. Really, it is not safe to drive with people on the street that you are in the process of giving a driver a license? It would be like the FAA refusing to fly with you while evaluating you for a pilot's license.

Strange world.

I understand that logic.

Until they see that the person can drive, they don't want them driving on the street, where they could hurt other people. The fact that they are taking the test doesn't indicate any minimum level of skill.

That being said, in New York State the test for drivers' licenses are given on public streets. But I do understand the logic behind what the guy was saying to you about the situation in Florida.

At motorcycle shops where they sell sport bikes, they do know that a good number of them will crash a new purchase within one mile of the store after purchase. Not a lot of them allow test rides. You want a Hayabusa, you have to buy it first. Hayabusa is Japanese for Paragrine Falcon.

Where am I in the queue if my VIN is "63041" and My Tesla has the message "Order Confirmed: Your Model S has entered the production queue at our factory..."? This message has been the same for 3 weeks.

Your best bet to to ask your DS for your EOL date. Your VIN alone doesn't give you enough data. Once your dashboard changes to in production, it's roughly five days to build.

Where am I in the queue if my VIN is "63041" and My Tesla has the message "Order Confirmed: Your Model S has entered the production queue at our factory..."? This message has been the same for 3 weeks.

Most at likely your car will stsrt being built in the next week. At the pace they have been going, the whole spreadsheet should be done in two weeks, and yours still requires a long shipping route.

To give you a rough idea of when you can expect your car. Mine went into building stage on Nov.24 and the expect delivery date is Dec.15, so roughly about 3 weeks barring any setbacks/delays from EOL.

Got your winters yet?

@ sundoc

I purchased a set of 19" Hakka R2's that I was planning on swapping out the Pirelli's that will come with the Winter Tire set. When I asked the Toronto Service Centre about coordinating this, they told me that I would have to do it myself and that if I did that they will not be able to touch the rims for Alignments, Brakes, Suspension servicing etc. Don't understand this, so basically I can't have a proper winter tire without impacting servicing of the car?

@ sundoc

I purchased a set of 19" Hakka R2's that I was planning on swapping out the Pirelli's that will come with the Winter Tire set. When I asked the Toronto Service Centre about coordinating this, they told me that I would have to do it myself and that if I did that they will not be able to touch the rims for Alignments, Brakes, Suspension servicing etc. Don't understand this, so basically I can't have a proper winter tire without impacting servicing of the car?

The policy in the US at least is that they won't mount or dismount non OEM tires or mount any tire on a bird party wheel. They will rotate wheels and perform alignments with aftermarket tires on the wheels, OEM or aftermarket. They will also swap wheels when changing for seasons.

So either the policy changed (don't think so), the policy is different in Canada (maybe), or the person at your service center is misinformed (my guess).

@ sundoc

@getamped

this is exactly what I've done... Got the base 19's from Tesla, Nokian R2s from Kal tire.

Spoke with the guys at Lawrence last week while picking up my rims. The only thing they WON'T do is mount or service that tire. Eg I get a flat, they'll tow my car there, take off the wheel but won't service the tire/rubber.
Spoke with both Jay and Scott (awesome guys!).

@ sundoc

So will Tesla mount the Winter Rims (with the Hakka's) onto your car and swap them out in the summer for your 21's?

@getamped

No they won't. I've even pointed out that the setup I've got is the same as one offered at the European Tesla site... No luck.

I'm going to show up with my winter set and have a shop nearby swap them out for me... I was joking with my Mike (my owner advisor) that I may end up swapping them out myself in their parking lot! Haha

There are a couple of decent shops nearby, just waiting for a more confirmed date before setting something up there.

Greetings! I have been avidly reading these pages for two years, and my first Tesla, a P85D, entered production today! I look forward to sharing experiences with all of you.

Awesome! Congratulations and good luck not biting all your finger nails to the nubs while you wait for your car to be delivered!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the same boat as you... waiting for the status to change from "in queue" to "in production". My DS still says I'll get the car on or around Christmas Day which is when I want it anyways. Have you contacted your DS to understand why?

Also do Ontario cars still go through Vancouver or do they go up to Canada a different route?