Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled a Model S that had unlimited supercharging... who could I beg for the trade in credit on a new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my sob story... Tesla had a promotion running where you could get $$$ credit or several years of free supercharging if you traded in or otherwise removed an existing unlimited supercharging Model S from your account. The best info I could find said this was valid through June 30. Well as fate would have it (hah, hah) my Model S with unlimited supercharging was in an accident on July 26 and totaled by the insurance company on July 7 ;-(

Anyone have any suggestion as to who I might be able to beg to see if they'll make an exception? I have a new/replacement S on order ...

Yeah, I was in a similar boat, mine was totaled in a collision by a drunk driver running a red light in late June, I guess I didn't sign the title over to my insurance company til July, so there was one last week in June where theoretically I could've picked out an inventory car and had the FUSC removed from my car while it was sitting at the auction lot.... but just didn't want to chance the whole thing on such a tight timeline.

I tried to get my insurance to place a value on FUSC, their estimator was using 44% depreciation (on a six-year-old Model S) based on original option prices. Trouble was FUSC was not a paid for option with an obvious price, it was "standard" on all cars of that vintage; but more of an issue, their estimator contractor didn't acknowledge that all the comps (dealer only comps allowed) had FUSC stripped off - none advertised it, while ALL private party listing did (which they wouldn't accept). I was arguing for 44% of $5000 (based on several instances where Tesla put a value on it).

In the end I gave up trying, partly because their estimator included some stupidly priced dealer comps (listed, not sold), that gave me quite a better valuation that I would've expected anyways - I was afraid if I drew things out, they might start over with a different set of comps with more real-world pricing....

Reactions: mswlogo
Tesla? No.

I have seen some argue w/their insurance company to try to enhance their payout using the Tweet many years ago by Elon offering a $5k (I think) credit for FUSC at one point. Something about new Model 3 buyers or something. I don't recall many of the details but if you search enough you can probably find more/better details and try that route in terms of diminished value w/your insurance provider.

All begging aside, why would Tesla even consider this... let alone any other business?

The way I interpreted Tesla's offer for limited free supercharging on new cars was to 1) sell a new car and 2) get rid of existing FUSC cars on the road. You've essentially done both for Tesla on your own accord.

There's no reason for Tesla to even hear you out. If FUSC was that important, Why not just go buy a used well-cared for car with FUSC?

Lots of companies (including my employer) routinely do things that are slightly out of policy or guidance or whatever to "be nice" -- especially to good/repeat customers. I fully realize this is not 2014, but in 2014 the manager of the local service center proactively called me and said they needed to replace my drive unit without me saying anything, so it's not like they've never done nice things. Tesla has every right not to be remotely interested in doing that for me, but it seemed silly not to at least ask. Much much stranger things have happened.

Fortunately, your agreement with your insurance provider is that they will provide a market value for a total loss situation. The idea is that you'll go find another similar car to replace it with using the proceeds from the payout to be made whole again. You're the one who decided that means you must to buy a brand new car that wouldn't include a legacy feature that has long since been discontinued. Stick with something similar to what you had and all of this goes away.

Reactions: Cheburashka
So sorry to hear this. I have no advice for you other than to push for extra from the drunk driver's insurance for the perk you will now lose. I fear this happening to me too.
The best advice I can provide is that if you have full coverage file the claim w/your own insurance. It's called subrogation and it will be a far easier process to get paid from them less your deductible and they'll refund that once they get the guy's insurance to admit fault. Either way, it's a far better experience for you since your insurance company has a reason to keep you happy and it won't affect your rates.

• Informative
Reactions: djlott