Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Blow Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea if the AmTire in Orange is okay, or would you recommend the Costa Mesa above other AmTires? I'm only around a thousand miles on my S, but I have terrible luck with tires so I'm looking at getting these certificates. I usually buy tires through Costco for my other vehicles, but the 245/45/R19 tires Costco sells are much more expensive than the Goodyear Eagles.

Also, do all Tesla tires have these foam inserts? I haven't read about that before, but I'm trying to inform myself before buying tire certificates.

EDIT: It turns out AmTire quoted me based off of the Goodyear Eagle RSA2, not the newer Eagle Touring TO Tesla, which I don't see in their system.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the AmTire in Orange. AmTire in Costa Mesa is a great location since it's a block from 2 unique retail centers (The Camp and The Lab) which have good stores and great places to eat (Native Foods). El Pollo Loco is 3 blocks away too if you want healthy, quick AND cheap like I prefer... and of course Barley Forge Brewing is just up the street too. AmTire CM also has a large waiting room too if you want to wait there. Shortest wait is to make an appointment, preferably in the morning before they get busy.

AmTire has always matched competitor's prices including TireRack.com (including shipping, installation, etc.). Just bring in the competitive quote or show them on your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Easy.

No, all Tesla tires don't have foam inserts... Just the expensive tires like the 21" Continental Sport Contact 5P ContiSilent ("CSI") tires on our P85D. If you're interested in the quietest tires check out Quietest Tires at Tire Rack

If AmTire doesn't show the tire you want online call the AmTire store you prefer and ask them if they can get it. I've bought tires there for 20 years including a couple unique tires they didn't show online... so they special ordered them for me.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I was driving on the freeway at 65 when suddenly I heard a loud bang. There wasn't any debris on the ground, which I confirmed by checking the dashcam footage (I will post a video later today). About 15 seconds later the car told me tire pressure low pull over, thus I pulled over to the right shoulder.

My rear passenger continentals were destroyed when I pulled over ):
View attachment 215267 View attachment 215266 View attachment 215265

I called Tesla Roadside, I was told that a tow truck will take 2 hours but a loaner tire will arrive in an hour. So I opted for a loaner tire. I was roughly 5 minutes away from the Costa Mesa SC.

The tire guy arrived with the loaner in approximately 45 minutes after my initial phone call to Tesla, however he seemed to be unfamiliar with the Tesla. (I will post the video of the tire replacement). I put the car in jack mode without him even telling me to do so. He also dropped the car a few times while attempting to jack up the car.
View attachment 215268

It seems the side of the tire has two slashes. Any idea how this could have happened?
View attachment 215269 View attachment 215270 View attachment 215271

The defective wheel was sent to the Costa Mesa SC. I am awaiting for them to follow up. Obviously it seems the tire is not repairable? Any idea how much this will cost? My rim's got heavily scratched as well. Will continental pay for the blow out? I am spending so much $$$ on this car!!

And this side panel thingy seemed to pop out? Is this an easy fix??
View attachment 215272

I will post the dashcam video and tire replacement video shortly.

Crazy, I also had a flat on my brand new 60D, less than a 1000 miles on it. I'm also in OC, the process was good overall. I had the replacement tire on for the weekend and two business days. Had to call the service center, I was expecting a call. They scheduled me a few days out, went into the Costa Mesa SC for about an hour and was out, charge in total was about 250$ with labor tax tire and all. Overall i liked the experience, being able to drive my car while i waited for the new tire was cool, and no charge for it was a plus.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the AmTire in Orange. AmTire in Costa Mesa is a great location since it's a block from 2 unique retail centers (The Camp and The Lab) which have good stores and great places to eat (Native Foods). El Pollo Loco is 3 blocks away too if you want healthy, quick AND cheap like I prefer... and of course Barley Forge Brewing is just up the street too. AmTire CM also has a large waiting room too if you want to wait there. Shortest wait is to make an appointment, preferably in the morning before they get busy.

AmTire has always matched competitor's prices including TireRack.com (including shipping, installation, etc.). Just bring in the competitive quote or show them on your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Easy.

No, all Tesla tires don't have foam inserts... Just the expensive tires like the 21" Continental Sport Contact 5P ContiSilent ("CSI") tires on our P85D. If you're interested in the quietest tires check out Quietest Tires at Tire Rack

No flame wars here, but you are aware Tesla's equipment is a moving target? Originally, it was just the 21" Contis. Now on more. I have read but not confirmed the 19 in 2016.5 and 2017 19 inch standard equipment Goodyear also includes foam, as do the PSS that are part of the Arachnid package.

ContiSilent came on my 2015 Tesla P85D... Possibly since they provide better grip during Insane and Ludicrous launches?
Foam is for sound reduction only. And quite minimal reduction at that, according to recent car mag review (IRC Motor Trend). Is that what you meant, or referring to the Continental tire itself, which is a high performance tire and does have better dry/warm road grip than the 19 stock tires?

If AmTire doesn't show the tire you want online call the AmTire store you prefer and ask them if they can get it. I've bought tires there for 20 years including a couple unique tires they didn't show online... so they special ordered them for me.
I took a drive down to AmTire in Costa Mesa and purchased the tire certificates based on your recommendation, thanks! The 2016.5 model 19 inch Goodyear tire is now the Eagle Touring TO with the foam inside, raising the cost from $140/tire to $250/tire. The certificates came out to $140 total, which I will definitely use up at the rate I normally pick up nails.

I took a drive down to AmTire in Costa Mesa and purchased the tire certificates based on your recommendation, thanks! The 2016.5 model 19 inch Goodyear tire is now the Eagle Touring TO with the foam inside, raising the cost from $140/tire to $250/tire. The certificates came out to $140 total, which I will definitely use up at the rate I normally pick up nails.

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

I've also had a lot of punctures during the last 35 years as a industrial property real estate broker since I sold scores of buildings under construction... and a lot of the businesses use screws and nails which find their way into the driveways. The Corvettes with WIDE low profile tires I drove for 15 years were easy targets.

Last edited:
No flame wars here, but you are aware Tesla's equipment is a moving target? Originally, it was just the 21" Contis. Now no more. I have read but not confirmed the 19 in 2016.5 and 2017 19 inch standard equipment Goodyear also includes foam, as do the PSS that are part of the Arachnid package.

Foam is for sound reduction only. And quite minimal reduction at that, according to recent car mag review (IRC Motor Trend). Is that what you meant, or referring to the Continental tire itself, which is a high performance tire and does have better dry/warm road grip than the 19 stock tires?

Glad there's no flame war here since I'm not wearing my fire retardant internet browsing suit this morning. LOL

You're correct, Tesla equipment is a moving target... which I think is a great thing. Always improving. Tesla has and probably will continually change their tire choices based on cost, performance, noise, wear, etc. which should provide better performing, less expensive, more durable, and less expensive tires for our Teslas. Yes it might not happen but we can all hope.

You're correct, Motor Trend did publish an article showing the sound reduction from the "foam lined" tires to be minimal. I was glad to hear since this provides more replacement tire choices for my 2015 P85D... potentially for significantly less money.

One other suggestion to address the issue of no spare tire in our Teslas. Consider carrying a:

1) 12V air compressor to restore your tire pressure long enough to get you to a tire store, home, next appointment, etc. We've had great luck with the typically more expensive ViAir compressors than the cheap overseas knock off compressors that failed when we needed them most. Our ViAir compressors are still running strong after 10+ years of hard use re-inflating 35" BFG off road tires and the 6 large tires on our RV.

2) tire repair (plug) kit Amazon.com: Safety Seal Auto & Light Truck Deluxe Tire Repair Kit, 60 Repairs: Automotive. We've used these for years on our Corvettes which also didn't have a spare tire. We've also used them on our other vehicles with spares since it's easier and quicker to remove a nail / screw in the tread and plug it with one of these tire repair kits than swap in a spare tire. If you've ever had to replace a heavy 35" off road tire you know what I mean.

Having both of these in our vehicles has saved us from numerous hours waiting for roadside service, being towed to a tire repair facility. and waiting for the puncture to be repaired... Definitely not something you want to do on a "road trip".

I have the ContiSilents on the P85 (P90++) ... and I'll tell you what, the difference between those and the original tires (Michelin PS2 or something) is like night and day on the noise level side of things. I don't care what MotorTrend says, the difference is VERY noticeable.

I also did similar on my X. It had the stock 20" tires (forget what they were) and when I replaced the rims with 22s those wheels had Eagle tires with the silencing foam. Seriously made a massive difference in interior noise. I now swear by these sound dampening tires.

@K-MTG I would have Tesla double check the area where your car was lifted. I jack up Tesla's every other day just about these days, and I'm reasonably certain your service guy had the jack too far in. You can see at one point in your video the car slips down off of the battery lip on to the lift pad right as he's finishing jacking it up. On the X the battery lip is covered by plastic trim pieces held in by plastic rivets... a silly design, IMO, but easily damaged by improper lifting.

One other suggestion to address the issue of no spare tire in our Teslas. Consider carrying a:

1) 12V air compressor to restore your tire pressure long enough to get you to a tire store, home, next appointment, etc. We've had great luck with the typically more expensive ViAir compressors than the cheap overseas knock off compressors that failed when we needed them most. Our ViAir compressors are still running strong after 10+ years of hard use re-inflating 35" BFG off road tires and the 6 large tires on our RV.

2) tire repair (plug) kit Amazon.com: Safety Seal Auto & Light Truck Deluxe Tire Repair Kit, 60 Repairs: Automotive. We've used these for years on our Corvettes which also didn't have a spare tire. We've also used them on our other vehicles with spares since it's easier and quicker to remove a nail / screw in the tread and plug it with one of these tire repair kits than swap in a spare tire. If you've ever had to replace a heavy 35" off road tire you know what I mean.

Having both of these in our vehicles has saved us from numerous hours waiting for roadside service, being towed to a tire repair facility. and waiting for the puncture to be repaired... Definitely not something you want to do on a "road trip".
I would add a small pair of pliers to to the kit also. They are handy to remove a nail or screw embedded in the tire.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I have the ContiSilents on the P85 (P90++) ... and I'll tell you what, the difference between those and the original tires (Michelin PS2 or something) is like night and day on the noise level side of things. I don't care what MotorTrend says, the difference is VERY noticeable.

I also did similar on my X. It had the stock 20" tires (forget what they were) and when I replaced the rims with 22s those wheels had Eagle tires with the silencing foam. Seriously made a massive difference in interior noise. I now swear by these sound dampening tires.

@K-MTG I would have Tesla double check the area where your car was lifted. I jack up Tesla's every other day just about these days, and I'm reasonably certain your service guy had the jack too far in. You can see at one point in your video the car slips down off of the battery lip on to the lift pad right as he's finishing jacking it up. On the X the battery lip is covered by plastic trim pieces held in by plastic rivets... a silly design, IMO, but easily damaged by improper lifting.

Will do, my car is going in this evening. I didn't really question the guy as he was sent by Tesla

Reactions: Andyw2100
Just noticed my loaner tire is actually a winter tire. I hope driving with a different tire won't mess up my alignment or something else??
IMG_1246.JPG