Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint the Front Glass Roof vs Tesla Roof Shade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm going to tint the windows of my M3 next week. I'll use Llumar Pinnacle One film on the windows.

I'm based in So Cal and am starting to feel the sun if I drive in the afternoon. I'm wondering if tinting the Front Glass roof help reject some of the outside heat?

I understand that the roof glass is already tinted.

The Tesla Front Roof shade is 75$. If I can get my tint installer to tint the front glass roof for about a 100 to 150$, I'm wondering if that is a good path to take.

Please provide your suggestions.

I just had my side windows tinted and immediately noticed a big difference in how hot my left arm/left side got while driving. I went with 35 on the front side windows and 5 on the rear side windows. Didn't do the tops yet, but got some shades to hold me over until I decide to tint them or not. Car still seems to get really hot when parked at work (no shade, open parking lot), but definitely feels much cooler while driving with just the sides. The shades just came in today, so will see this week if they help at all...

I just had my side windows tinted and immediately noticed a big difference in how hot my left arm/left side got while driving. I went with 35 on the front side windows and 5 on the rear side windows. Didn't do the tops yet, but got some shades to hold me over until I decide to tint them or not. Car still seems to get really hot when parked at work (no shade, open parking lot), but definitely feels much cooler while driving with just the sides. The shades just came in today, so will see this week if they help at all...
Super curious as well. Don't want to be getting tanned and be cooking all year In Florida lol

I think the thing to think about with the glass roof is that when you feel heat, are you feeling the sun/solar energy passing through the glass? Or are you actually feeling heat radiating from the glass itself since the glass is physically hot from being radiated by the sun?

If you believe you feel solar energy passing through the glass and heating up your head, then yes, additional tinting would help. However, if you feel the heat is actually coming from the heated glass itself, then no amount of tint film (short of straight "insulation") is going to block that heat.

Personally, I feel the heat from the glass roof is coming from the glass itself. If I hold my hand about a 1/2" from the glass, I feel heat. If I hold it 2-3" away from the glass, I dont feel heat. Imagine being in the back of a U-Haul truck. The walls of the truck are hot. You feel hot. Tinting the solid wall is not going to cool things down at all.

I'd go with the glass roof shade.

Reactions: rickdogg82