Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Sun Shade - recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a price quote to tint the roof for $600 with Lluminar film that had 86% heat rejection (whatever that really means). I thought not a bad price but then he said they have to take down the headliner to get the film over to the edge of the glass roof. Not sure I’m comfortable with tint guys disassembling parts on my car. Anyone have a similar quote and went ahead and had the tint installed?

There are also several more aftermarket sun shades available. I know they probably do actually reflect the heat but could make it seem a bit cooler on a hot Texas day.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments??

Reactions: AJ..
So far this has worked for me although we haven't hit summer yet. We'll see if it's enough when it's 100 outside. I ordered off of amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2370.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 691
I have this one, and it's great. However, it was ~$40 when I bought it a couple months ago. Not sure why the extreme price jump.

I might get this. I been looking on amazon for the wife and all seems the same. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the venders are the same vendor selling under a different name and price.

My price point I want to get from Amazon is under $50, which most seemed to be.

Is your see through or does it have a “heat shield” matter and is a no see through. I rather have it solid then see through.

I would like to get the 2pcs because I does look easier to install and take off

I might get this. I been looking on amazon for the wife and all seems the same. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the venders are the same vendor selling under a different name and price.

My price point I want to get from Amazon is under $50, which most seemed to be.

Is your see through or does it have a “heat shield” matter and is a no see through. I rather have it solid then see through.

I would like to get the 2pcs because I does look easier to install and take off
You can have it slightly see through if you use just the 2 mesh pieces, or you can add the (included) silver reflective fabric on top of it and then it is completely solid.

I'm in the Phoenix area, and we get hot here. When I owned my Model 3, I used the black mesh version, and on a day with temp's in the 100's, it leaked heat down into my headroom. I have the white setup now in my Model Y. With the reflective foil, it does a great job. No leaking heat downward (so far - we still have 110+ degree days to go), and I'm confident that it was the right choice. Caution: you have to be careful when assembling the mesh and the heat blanket to make sure that the heat blanket centers properly. If if doesn't, then the clips to hold up the mesh and heat blanket won't be able to clip on the edge and then seat properly . Beware also of the directions: the Chinese didn't write them in English for us, but had them translated by other Chinese who learned 'some' English, but not all of the terms we use for this kind of installation.

BTW: my Model Y has the black and white interior, and the white mesh blends in well with it. So it looks good and does its job well.

Hey guys, we pushed out the new upgraded sunshade product, excellent heat resistance performance, which is much better than mesh material and do not require the silver layer.

This is the one I just put in and is much better than others I have tried. Very easy to install and does not have the treaded sag in the middle.

I have one but still on the way so I cannot tell you how well it works. Reviews are good and converts your sunroof into double pane glass for better temp isolation from the sunroof. It’s more expensive than the mesh options but you won’t lose the sunroof view.

Reactions: TallTexGuy

I have one but still on the way so I cannot tell you how well it works. Reviews are good and converts your sunroof into double pane glass for better temp isolation from the sunroof. It’s more expensive than the mesh options but you won’t lose the sunroof view.
Interested to see how this works out for you.

That price is absurd. I know it depends on your local market but that is crazy high. Is it IRX film at least?

I tinted my MYP windshield, roof, all side windows, and rear for $880. That’s with XPEL XR Plus.

My car was only stock for 2 hours but in full FL sun. After with 70% XR Plus is perfect. Nice and cool without impacting visibility out of the roof glass.

Reactions: Skavatar