Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN1_Casey

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Mar 6, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
So I am moving into my home on the 17th, I am starting up all of my utilities. I applied to get the Time of Use rate instead of the standard Residential, since I figured it'd be over all cheaper if I just planned on charging my car (apparently now it's December instead of November) during the weekends when I'm home during the low-cost hours. Same with me doing my laundry on lower cost times.

However, while looking through the utilities webpage it does seem like there use to be a system that's no longer available, and, the TOU seems to be limited to a small number (5k) of users.

Has anyone had difficulty getting the TOU setting? Or is it generally expected that if you apply, you'll get it?

Last edited:
Not being in Hawaii, but being the US there used to be a TOU for electric cars at a different rate. I think it even had a separate meter for the fuse the car was on. It’s still on the website but no longer available and I didn’t sign up before it ended. I was able to sign up for another TOU plan many years ago before the car as I realized I’m at home and do most everything late night or weekends. It’s now considered a grandfathers TOU that is also closed but they let me keep it. Though it much be so old that a few months ago they nearly doubled my rate. I compared it to all the other potential offers and even either the (much) higher current pricing it’s still much cheaper.

I would strongly suggest you download as much of your monthly historical data. You should be able to get the hourly usage or at least into buckets. Add in the expected use of the car and compare out the plans. I did just through before I got the car and my grandfathered TOU plan still worked.

You might also call the utility. They were more than helpful in working through all the options. The website also allows you to compare your current plan and history applied against anything new; but obviously not helpful with no history in their system.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Not being in Hawaii, but being the US there used to be a TOU for electric cars at a different rate. I think it even had a separate meter for the fuse the car was on. It’s still on the website but no longer available and I didn’t sign up before it ended. I was able to sign up for another TOU plan many years ago before the car as I realized I’m at home and do most everything late night or weekends. It’s now considered a grandfathers TOU that is also closed but they let me keep it. Though it much be so old that a few months ago they nearly doubled my rate. I compared it to all the other potential offers and even either the (much) higher current pricing it’s still much cheaper.
Some utilities in the US most definitely offer TOU plans (e.g. PG&E and most if not all power providers in CA). PG&E and most CA providers also offer TOU EV plans.

Some do not. From when the topic has come up a few times in the past, it sounded like those in Western WA in/near the Seattle area do not.

Hopefully an Oahu resident can chime in. From quick digging, I found Residential Single-Family Dwelling from Get Started - Rates and Enrollment. Is Hawaiian Electric the correct utility for the OP?

Last edited:
HECO used to have a TOU-EV rate plan that you had to show proof of EV ownership to qualify for. Unfortunately, it's no longer offered so only those who enrolled prior are grandfathered in. Combined with PV, you could really get a good deal, cause you're selling back during the day at high rates, and using at night at low rates.

The current TOU-RI plan is less beneficial, but still could be cheaper than regular residential service, if your charging/high demand electric use corresponds to the cheapest rate period, which is mid-day. See more info here. So you won't save anything unless you're home during the day and charging. The old plan used to have substantially cheaper rates from 9pm-7am, but the peak rate from 5pm-9pm on the weekdays was significantly higher.

Keep in mind that I think the new TOU plan doesn't differentiate between weekdays and weekends (the old one did).

So, I submitted the TOU-RI request, and today received an email stating that I have been signed up for it. No other contact or waiting happened, as today was the day my account started and I moved into my rental.

Thus, either there has not been the limited 5k people already signed up, they don't really keep track, or they intentionally ignore the limited number. I'll have never not used TOU-RI in Hawaii, so it'll be interesting to see how my billing will play out.

@Akikiki I did contact your electrician, Nikki from Creative Energy, who you posted about in another thread. Going to try and get the outlet all ready for when my car arrives.... eventually. And when it does, I'll have the TOU-RI up and ready for it's pricey, pricey e-fuel.

Good move on your part. They are excellent people to work with. Fair prices and thorough. AND show up on time.

When I said I was referred to them, they did ask for your name. Dunno if it matters to you to tell them or not, but I have thus far said, "Uh, a guy on an internet forum."

I have an estimate scheduled for Thursday morning, and hopefully can get it done by next week as I have this and next off.

Reactions: Akikiki
Good move on your part. They are excellent people to work with. Fair prices and thorough. AND show up on time.

I got my estimate. It seems a bit high from what I have heard about others' installs on the forum, but it may be a Hawaii thing. They're estimating a $750 charge to wire from the box (inside the garage) to a few feet away on the same wall in the garage. Is that comparable for what you've experienced?