Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on P85D being locked into 21 inch rims for Summer and Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerome, the VP of sales just to replied to my email:

"Thank you for your note and your order of a Model S.

We will be introducing additional wheels for the P85D (although we do recommend the 21”). Jessica, whom I have copied on this message, is based in Rocklin and will be able to help you with the modifications."

Wow Tesla really can't get their communication right. This contradicts what I was told last night by someone in sales in Fremont. I also had an exchange with Jerome about this last week. No mention of other wheel options at that point, just the alternate interior color options. This must be a very recent change based on customer feedback. Good! I told him about my experience with the 21's, and suggested that if they offered a turbine look 19" wheel in grey that I thought it would sell.

I was going to downgrade to a S85D if Tesla did not allow the 19" wheels on the P85D. I am re-confirmed today for 19" Silver Cyclone's for Summer (Did not expect this) and the 19" Standard wheels for Winter. Looking forward to the December delivery and a little more peace of mind in our pothole and blizzard country.

Note: This shows the power of the Forum for focusing user feedback for the powers to be at Tesla HQ to make positive decisions for the benefit of the brand. Go Tesla!

Note: This shows the power of the Forum for focusing user feedback for the powers to be at Tesla HQ to make positive decisions for the benefit of the brand. Go Tesla!

I just wonder how much Tesla's changes are due to either

1) their web developers just suck and leave things out or they are rushed to get something up ASAP so they take shortcuts and leave options out

or vs 2) if this wasn't planned and this is just Tesla's reaction to a bunch of pissed off customers

or vs 3) this was intentional by Tesla and their strategy was to capture a higher margin on the initial glut of people that ordered/upgraded to P85D's and then change it later to show all options and hope that people don't downgrade.

I was going to downgrade to a S85D if Tesla did not allow the 19" wheels on the P85D. I am re-confirmed today for 19" Silver Cyclone's for Summer (Did not expect this) and the 19" Standard wheels for Winter. Looking forward to the December delivery and a little more peace of mind in our pothole and blizzard country.

I was in a similar situation.

Be careful of the stock Tesla snow tires, from everything that I have read, both on and off of TMC, they are more focused on winter dry road performance than snow performance. See Time to Shop for Winter Tires - Page 8 for a direct comparison by a fellow Canuck. I'm going deal with finding rims, and get the Nokian Hakka R2's. I have the Hakka 7's on my current P85, but the stud noise drives me nuts, and I do not have many "wet ice" times in Colorado where studs are an advantage.

S85D future owner, and sorry for trolling, but I posted similary on another thread..

The best solution IMHO (just a Golf R, S60R, Turbo X, S4 owner here) is:

1. Order the car with 19" standard wheels. Reason is you need ET ie offset of 40mm
and the TireRack plethora of 19" wheels have 32-25mm offsets making the risk of
caliper bruising and rotor warping if not worse real, while their 40mm wheels are over
$500.

2. Order Dunlop WinterSport German made winter tires and swap them at local
shop. Even better, have the local shop quote them for you, some cut under TireRack
and also the boyz at the shop will be happier.

Sell the 19" OEM rubber.

3. Order 21" grey Taiwanese turbines with OEM Michelins and TPMS for 2k less than with
car on TireRack.

You have an aggressive summer setup and a great winter setup with few spokes and silver
hiding curb and debris rash a lot better, all for less.

Finding a very decent tire shop is key, the grease monkeys at my local small town
shop know their trade in and out.

Last edited:
S85D futuer owner, and sorry for trolling, but I posted similary on another thread..

The best solution IMHO (just a Golf R, S60R, Turbo X, S4 owner here) is:

1. Order the car with 19" standard wheels. Reason is you need ET ie offset of 40mm
and the TireRack plethora of 19" wheels have 32-25mm offsets making the risk of
caliper bruising and rotor warping if not worse real, while their 40mm wheels are over
$500.

2. Order Dunlop WinterSport German made winter tires and swap them at local
shop. Even better, have the local shop quote them for you, some cut under TireRack
and also the boyz at the shop will be happier.

Sell the 19" OEM rubber.

3. Order 21" grey Taiwanese turbines with OEM Michelins and TPMS for 2k less than with
car on TireRack.

You have an aggressive summer setup and a great winter setup with few spokes and silver
hiding curb and debris rash a lot better, all for less.

Finding a very decent tire shop is key, the grease monkeys at my local small town
shop know their trade in and out.

Or, as a lot of us did, order the Tesla 21" Turbines with the car and OEM rubber for summer, and for winter buy the 19" TSportline TSTs especially made for the Tesla, no offset adjustment needed. Perfect fit, and uses the stock lug nuts and center caps. Put on whatever your choice of winter rubber you need.

I'm not sure many people would trust the Taiwanese 21" rims to be up to the same specs as the OEM 21" Turbines.

Or, as a lot of us did, order the Tesla 21" Turbines with the car and OEM rubber for summer, and for winter buy the 19" TSportline TSTs especially made for the Tesla, no offset adjustment needed. Perfect fit, and uses the stock lug nuts and center caps. Put on whatever your choice of winter rubber you need.

I'm not sure many people would trust the Taiwanese 21" rims to be up to the same specs as the OEM 21" Turbines.

Through my years with the RC hobby, and garage, I have had many Taiwan tools and they seem a notch above mainland, generally speaking.
I love my Niko auto tools for example, their torque wrench matched almost to 1 lb/ft to the shop digital one at the Audi dealer.

Of course, if I had a choice, BBS, Borbet, or O-Z would be first.

Through my years with the RC hobby, and garage, I have had many Taiwan tools and they seem a notch above mainland, generally speaking.
I love my Niko auto tools for example, their torque wrench matched almost to 1 lb/ft to the shop digital one at the Audi dealer.

Of course, if I had a choice, BBS, Borbet, or O-Z would be first.

I bought one of those rims from tire rack to use for a spare, they look very close but the outside edge of the rim is different, when I took the center cap out I couldn't help but laugh at the inscription on the back "Model-S" seems like they copied it as close as they could.

TESLARIM1.jpg

teslarim2.jpg

Last edited: