Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The situation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PlugShare shows a few ChadeMo and Type 2 charging stations in the Reykjavik area. I would expect more can be found if someone knows of an Iceland specific charge map.

GSP

Hi

i live here in Iceland.
i´ve been into the "Even" store, it´s in the mall "Smáralind" in kóparvogur
i´ve never seen salesperson in there, dont know how it´s in the states.
the only car in there at the moment is a used Tesla Model S 2013 model Used
driven 43.300 km / 23.380 miles
Price 11.100.000 kr ISK / 86.700 $ USD

two photos are from the Even store, the car´s on the wall
on the left there are "Sold Tesla Model S" you see there are 44 car sold
from Even, and they have sold 37 Tesla model X on the right side.
20151024_170100_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20151024_165819_Richtone(HDR).jpg

There are no Superchargers here in Iceland, and finding a charging station
is dame near impossible, and Superchargers are on no plan here in Iceland.

on this link you can se the charging stations
Hleðslustöðvar

Even price on Tesla Model s are here :
http://www.even.is/#!tesla-model-s/c19dp

Note that in every one there says :
"Supercharging aðgangur innifalinn" means = supercharge included
i think they just google translated sales from US, copy paste.
there is no supercharging in Iceland.. wtf ?

Price for Tesla here in Iceland:
70 kWh 11.700.000 kr.ISK / 91.300 $ USD
70D kWh 12.500.000 kr.ISK / 97.540 $ USD
85 kWh 13.350.000 kr.ISK / 104.180 $ USD
85D kWh 14.190.000 kr.ISK / 110.730 $ USD
P85D kWh 17.550.000 kr.ISK / 136.950 $ USD

I love Tesla Model S, dont get me wrong
C:\Users\helgis\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

i´ve been watching Elon Musk before he made paypal
and Tesla from Roadster.
i tought electric car would make a change here in Iceland
but it´s hard for the electric car here in Iceland.
in the future i will maby buy a Tesla Model S, next
10-15 years i will afford such a masterpiece of a vehicle.
i´m saving up for a Tesla model S, :)
i believe in the near future Tesla model S
will be more practical here in Iceland and
i dream of supercharging station :)

If there is anything you need to know about Tesla Model S
here in Iceland, you can ask me, and i can get the info.

First P85D delivery in Iceland. License plate: NO CO2

translated page:
Google Translate

According to an Icelandic guy I talked to, there are 30-40 Model S total in Iceland now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

i live here in Iceland.
i´ve been into the "Even" store, it´s in the mall "Smáralind" in kóparvogur
i´ve never seen salesperson in there, dont know how it´s in the states.
the only car in there at the moment is a used Tesla Model S 2013 model
driven 43.300 km / 23.380 miles
Price 11.100.000 kr ISK / 86.700 $ USD

Two photos are from the Even store, the car´s on the wall
on the left there are "Sold Tesla Model S" you see there are 44 car sold
from Even, and they have sold 37 Tesla model X on the right side.
20151024_170100_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20151024_165819_Richtone(HDR).jpg

There are no Superchargers here in Iceland, and finding a charging station
is dame near impossible, and Superchargers are on no plan here in Iceland.

on this link you can se the charging stations
Hleðslustöðvar

Even price on Tesla Model s are here :
http://www.even.is/#!tesla-model-s/c19dp

Note that it says when you buy a Tesla model S:
"Supercharging aðgangur innifalinn" means = "supercharging included"
i think they just google translated sales from US, copy paste.
there is no supercharging in Iceland.. wtf ?

Price for Tesla here in Iceland:
70 kWh 11.700.000 kr.ISK / 91.300 $ USD
70D kWh 12.500.000 kr.ISK / 97.540 $ USD
85 kWh 13.350.000 kr.ISK / 104.180 $ USD
85D kWh 14.190.000 kr.ISK / 110.730 $ USD
P85D kWh 17.550.000 kr.ISK / 136.950 $ USD

91.000 - 137.000 $ USD is alot of money for
the normal working class here in Iceland
average income per.year is 19.000 - 23.000 $ USD
and living expenses are about 50-70% of income
Iceland is ranked nr.3 Cost of living 2015
Cost of Living Index by Country 2017
So if normal working class person want´s to save up for
Tesla Model S, it would take about
550-650 $ USD per.month for 12-14 years
just for the cheapest Tesla Model S.
for the P85D it would take 550-650 $ USD per.month for 18-21 years
Im on a 15 year saving plan for a Tesla Model S, so hopefully i can
buy one in the year 2030 if Tesla Motors still exist :)
everyday i wake up with martin luther king words
"I Have a Dream! "
and that dream i driving a Tesla Model S.

I love Tesla Model S, don´t get me wrong
I´ve been following Elon Musk before he made paypal
and Tesla from Roadster.
i tought electric car would make a change here in Iceland
but it´s hard for the electric car here in Iceland.
In the future i hope to buy a Tesla Model S, next
10-15 years i will afford such a masterpiece of a vehicle.
i´m saving up for a Tesla model S, :) possibly used if cheaper.
i believe in the near future Tesla model S
will be more practical here in Iceland and
i dream of supercharging station.

If there is anything you need to know about Tesla Model S
here in Iceland, you can ask me, and i can get the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today my son spotted a Signature Red Model S behind our bus. As we turned into our hotel the Tesla was following us! Turns out it belongs to the owner of Hotel Ranga, Fridrik Palsson. He is a delightful guy who loves his Model S, the second one delivered in Iceland last November. He was raving about the great traction in the snow as he drove the car all through the long winter.
I learned that all of the cars delivered in Iceland are European specification and that they are hoping to get their first supercharger installation by the end of 2014.
My wife and I arrived in Reykjavik today for our third visit to Iceland in 4 years. We are staying in our favorite place at the corner of Frikirkjuvegur and Skalholtsstigur streets in the older part Reykjavik. I mention the streets only because we were surprised and pleased to find a new EV charger installed on the street very near our rental unit. It is a European CCS charger, two cables attached to a pedestal where you can pay with a credit card, I assume. All the writing on the charger is in Icelandic so I don't know any details but I did recognize the charger type. I was amused to see, just a few minutes ago, a car pull up to the charger (I think it was a Porsche Cayenne) and the driver tried to plug in the charger cable but apparently it didn't connect and he gave up and drove off. The side of the car he was trying to plug into was facing away from me. But that is the side of the car where the plug is on the Cayenne S E-Hybrid model. Reading this page http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-s-e-hybrid/drive/e-performance/ it is not clear to me what the charging plug type is. I found a photo of the Cayenne plug port here 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid Review and that does not appear to be a CCS type plug! What is it?

In any case, good to see an EV charger where there was none two years ago. Maybe I will see some Teslas while I am here. If any Icelanders want to let us know what the current state of Tesla ownership is in Iceland, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Apparently there are no Tesla Superchargers in Iceland yet. I think the potential market is too small to justify the investment.

PlugShare shows a few ChadeMo and Type 2 charging stations in the Reykjavik area. I would expect more can be found if someone knows of an Iceland specific charge map.
As mentioned in my previous post, I am currently in Reykjavik. Using the Plugshare app on my iPhone, I only see one EV charging location in Reykjavik (not the one I mention in my previous post above, but a J1772 plug at someplace called "Samskp hf.") and one other in the entire country: at the Ion Luxury Adventure Hotel well outside the city, again a single J1772. That hotel looks pretty interesting, as it happens I read some stories about it earlier this year. See LUXURY HOTEL IN ICELAND | Ion Iceland

@GSP, it appears that there are now fewer EV charging locations listed on Plugshare then there were in February 2015 when you made your post. That is odd. Today I will post on Plugshare the new EV charger that I found near where I am staying.

Reading this page http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-s-e-hybrid/drive/e-performance/ it is not clear to me what the charging plug type is. I found a photo of the Cayenne plug port here 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid Review and that does not appear to be a CCS type plug! What is it?
To answer my own questions...with some more research I believe what the European version of the Cayenne E-Hybrid has is the Mennekes connector, as shown here http://www.mennekes.de/uploads/media/Type2_with_Shutter_01.pdf

So a charge port of that connector type cannot have a CCS type cable plugged into it without an adaptor, I assume, and that is why the Cayenne driver I saw last night could not charge from the charging station I described. Apparently the Cayenne driver did not know that as he tried to charge but then gave up. I never saw him fit an adaptor to his car's charge port.

So Teslas destined for Europe have a Mennekes type charge port, and they would use an adaptor to charge using a CCS combo cable. Apologies for my ignorance of European EV charging standards.

In any case, I hope that the EV situation in Iceland is improving. The country has plentiful hydroelectric power, and like Norway, would seem to be well suited to converting to EVs.

ecarfan,

You may want to check your filter settings on Plugshare. I count 11 DC fast chargers in Iceland, most (perhaps all) are combination Chademo/CCS units. There are only two Type 1 (J1772) EVSE plugs listed. I don't see a filter in Plugshare for the Type 2 EVSE plugs that are predominant in Europe.

The Porsche, like most PHEVs, does not have the hardware to directly connect the battery to a DC fast charger. Likewise, the CCS charger that the driver tried to use likely does not have the EVSE hardware to provide an AC connection to the car's on-board charger. Even with some sort of adapter he still would not be able to charge.

Teslas can use the Chademo adapter to use these DC charging stations, but cannot use the CCS side since Tesla does not make an adaptor for CCS plugs.

Enjoy your stay in Iceland, and safe travels.

GSP

Last edited:
@GSP, you are right, I had forgotten I had set my filters in Plugshare to not show Chademo since I can't use it. Once I fixed that, I could see in Plugshare the EV charger I posted about. It is shown as a Chademo type charger. I thought it was a Mennekes type. But I'm not used to looking at this charge plug types so I could be wrong!

Walking around Reykjavik today I saw a few Leafs but no other EVs except an AUDI A3 e-Tron, which isn't a BEV. It was plugged in outside at an AUDI-branded charger.

Sadly, it appears that EVEN has shut down, not sure who is replacing them in Iceland, if anyone. Anyone have any updates on the EV situation in Iceland?

Been following this with interest as the island is the perfect place to switch to EV's due to 100% renewable energy being used for all EV's in Iceland. I know they have a a lot of surplus electricity production and hope they will continue to move in the EV direction.

Customs may waive VAT on electric vehicles, to a maximum of $13500. In Iceland the VAT is 24%. This means that Tesla is not treated like less expensive electric cars. Enough reason for Tesla to skip Iceland in their future plans.

Customs may waive VAT on electric vehicles, to a maximum of $13500. In Iceland the VAT is 24%. This means that Tesla is not treated like less expensive electric cars. Enough reason for Tesla to skip Iceland in their future plans.

Too bad they are not going full Norway on the EV plans and making them VAT exempt. Would save them a fortune in not importing gasoline and making them energy independent.

Makes too much sense I guess.....

I would say that the fundamental reason that Tesla is not officially selling in Iceland is the market size is too small to justify the investment. With a population of about 335,000 and an "average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is lower than the OECD average of USD 29 016 a year" (see OECD Better Life Index ) only a small fraction of the population can afford a Tesla. Even a base Model 3 would not be a car for the masses in Iceland. It's a wonderful country and I love traveling there but I can understand why Tesla doesn't sell direct in Iceland.

I would say that the fundamental reason that Tesla is not officially selling in Iceland is the market size is too small to justify the investment. With a population of about 335,000 and an "average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is lower than the OECD average of USD 29 016 a year" (see OECD Better Life Index ) only a small fraction of the population can afford a Tesla. Even a base Model 3 would not be a car for the masses in Iceland. It's a wonderful country and I love traveling there but I can understand why Tesla doesn't sell direct in Iceland.

The Model S is going to be steep for sure, so I wouldn't expect it to be a common car in Iceland, or anywhere for that matter.

The estimated MSRP on the Model 3 around $35k is however about the same as a loaded Leaf, and there are a ton of Leaf's in Iceland. Considering gas is expensive in Iceland and with the Model 3 having a 200+ mile range, it would be ideal in Iceland.

The Reykjavik Metro is pretty compact, barely 20 miles across, counting Hafnarfjordur to the South and Mosfellsbae to the North, even Keflavik is barely 40 miles away.

I would also think you would see some Chevy Bolt's or the sister Ampera -e in Iceland for the same reason, operating costs would be a fraction of the cost of a gas car.

There were plans for a big roll out of EV taxis in Iceland using Leafs awhile back, the Model 3 would be ideal for that, and the Model S even more so.

Since the VAT is waived up to $13.500, and the import duties would be lower (Iceland levies import duties based on engine size), I would expect the Model 3 to be relatively affordable in Iceland compared to ICE cars.

Last edited:

Another person from Iceland here; nice to stumble into this old thread :)

A few things:

1) Iceland has only a couple hundred thousand residents, but nearly 2 million tourists visit per year (and growing). These tourists tend to rent cars (and put lots of miles on them) because we have very limited public transportation (there's not a train in the whole country, and there's only one international airport in just one corner of the island).

2) Iceland's tourists are often ecologically-minded, as that's one of the big draws for visitors to Iceland.

3) Part of the reason for the draw is that we have abundant, clean electricity - almost exclusively renewable. Contrarily, gasoline here works out to something like $7 USD per gallon and is all shipped in.

4) While we don't have the $7500 tax credit like you have in the US, import duties on EVs are only the 24% VSK. Other import fees depend on emissions - the highest emissions category for vehicles has a whopping 65% import tax on top of VSK (and that's on cost + shipping, not just cost).

5) Iceland's population isn't spread throughout the country; rather, it's focused along the ~1300km "Ring Road". This simplifies how to build a supercharging network; it's a line, not a grid. There's only one off the Ring Road that they'd want to build early on soon (Geysir / Gullfoss - nicely positioned and extremely heavily visited by tourists on a standard circular route called the Golden Circle). One additional charger could make Snæfellsnes quite accessible, one for the northeast, and 2 or more for Vestfirðir - but all of these areas are sparsely populated. In the long run, you'd also want them at the entrances to the highlands, but there's not really much point to that until you have a long-range electric offroader.

6) Iceland is by far the wealthiest nation in Europe that doesn't have any superchargers. By far. And Iceland's per-capita income is around $50k:

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia

More than Australia and Germany. And that's with the old exchange rate; it's shot up a lot this year, as our currency exchange restrictions were lifted.

7) The "Reykjavík Metro" is not what you look at for what cars need to be able to do; Miðbæjarottur (town rats) often don't even buy cars, they live within walking distance of what most of they need (although much to their chagrin, tourists are pushing them out of town). There's a big culture of "getting out of town" here. Lots of people own summer homes in the countryside, and everyone gets a lot of vacation time, which is often used to go to different places in the countryside (festivals, camping, just relaxing, etc). For the third of the population that doesn't live in the Reykjavík area, they often have very significant driving requirements, because a lot of things or services are only available in Reykjavík, and things in the countryside tend to be spread out. Meanwhile, Reykjavíkingar often have friends and relatives located in different parts of the country. A single supercharger linking Reykjavík with Akureyri would work wonders (although two would be better).

8) I'm not sure what you mean about VAT being waived up to $13,5k. I used the Tollurinn calculator and they don't show it being waived. What they show is the vörugjald is 0% (based on emissions, not engine size).

Reiknivél - innflutningsgjöld | Tollstjóri

Oh hey.... I just now noticed that your name is Reynir. Ertu kannski íslendingur? :)

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon
Iceland has only a couple hundred thousand residents, but nearly 2 million tourists visit per year (and growing). These tourists tend to rent cars (and put lots of miles on them) because we have very limited public transportatio
Yes, I rented a car for a few days during my second trip to your beautiful country. Gasoline is costly by US standards by not by European standards. While there might be some small percentage of all tourists who would be willing to pay extra to rent a Tesla, I'm not convinced it would be enough to justify Tesla setting up a Service Center and offering cars for sale in Iceland. But maybe someday...

My wife and I look forward to making our fourth visit to your country in a few years, we hope! :)

Yes, I rented a car for a few days during my second trip to your beautiful country. Gasoline is costly by US standards by not by European standards.

Iceland has the third highest gasoline prices in the world:

Iceland has third highest gasoline prices in world

While there might be some small percentage of all tourists who would be willing to pay extra to rent a Tesla, I'm not convinced it would be enough to justify Tesla setting up a Service Center and offering cars for sale in Iceland. But maybe someday...

The simple fact is that the Ring Road has ample traffic to justify superchargers. Let's compare to a random interstate in the US: Tesla has superchargers at both Sheridan and Gillette, Wyoming (105mi / 168km). That stretch is 770-1400 vehicles per day:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-090_aadt.html

Now let's give the full traffic figures for around the Ring Road, starting just north of Reykjavík and ending back up at it. Not counting the traffic on the side peninsulas and the like that would come back to the Ring Road for charging. Traffic will be somewhat reduced in the winter, of course, but then again, this is a weekday, it's higher on weekends:

Blikdalsá: ~9000
Hafnarfjall: ~6000
Kolás: ~3800
Holtavörðuheiði: ~2400
Gauksmýri: ~3000
Vatnsskarð: ~2150
Miðsitja: ~2300
Öxnadalsheiði: ~1850
Víkurskarð: ~3700
Fljótsheiði: ~2150
Mývatnsheiði: ~2150
Mývatnsöræfi: ~1600
Biskupsháls: ~1200
Möðrudalsöræfi: ~1150
Jökuldalur: ~1250
Hamarsfjörður: ~1350
Hvalnes: ~1350
Kvísker: ~2200
Sandfell í Öræfum: ~2200
Gígjukvísl: ~2200
Eldhraun: ~2150
Mýrdalssandur: ~2150
Norðan Reynisfjalls: ~3600
Steinar undir Eyjafjöllum: ~3600
Hvammur undir Eyjafjöllum: ~3600
Við Markarfljót: ~4500
Hella: ~5500
Þjórsá: ~5600
Ingólfsfjall: ~11000
Hellisheiði: ~11000

Surely that's more justified than I-90 Wyoming, for example. Especially given our high gas prices. Especially given our low speed limits. Especially given our clean power. Especially given the type of tourist that comes here, and how their numbers are growing. Especially given our high GDP per capita. And on and on and on. It's 1332km, it doesn't take a lot. Oh, I forgot, let's add the Golden Circle to the above (needs just one supercharger at Gullfoss):

Mosfellsheiði: ~2500
Gjábakki: ~2450
Lyngdalsheiði: ~2400
Gullfoss: ~3700
Skálholt (~1100) + Bræðratunguvegur (~1700)

... and then joining in with the Ring Road between Þjórsá and Ingólfsfjall.

Again, how is that not justifiable vs. Wyoming? It's rather annoying just being ignored, without even the kindness to announce "plans to add superchargers at some undisclosed point in the future" :Þ The rental companies (making up an increasing share of that traffic) would do crazy-good business in Teslas here if there was a supercharging network - but will do almost none without one. What tourist would rent a car that can't take them to the popular sites to visit?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
And speaking of weather and speed, let's take that into account vs. range from the Tesla calculator (speed-adjusted for I-90 because the calculator only goes up to 120kph and I-90 is 129kph (+15% aero loss, so reduce range by 10%); interpolating between temperature points; heat/AC on in each scenario; Model S 75D). Average high/low/mean: range at mean.

Sheridan, Wyoming (129 kph):

Jan: 1,8 / -12,8 / -5,5: 282km
Apr: 14,5 / -1,3 / 6,6: 300km
Jul: 31,2 / 12 / 21,6: 317km

Reykjavík, Iceland (90 kph):

Jan: 1,0 / -3,0 / 0,5: 430km
Apr: 5,7 / 0,4 / 2,9: 442km
Jul: 13,3 / 8,3 / 10,6: 479km

You can go further in Iceland. Meaning you don't need as many charging stations to enable people to take a route.

Again, how on Earth is this not justified? :Þ We just need a handful of charging stations and suddenly our whole country becomes accessible. At least the populated parts of it.

Last edited: