Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not real happy about their comment regarding the battery.

From the article "But given that the car may retain only 50 percent of its pack capacity over 5 to 8 years--largely depending on how it's driven and charged--there's an argument that a three-year lease might be about right."

From the article "But given that the car may retain only 50 percent of its pack capacity over 5 to 8 years--largely depending on how it's driven and charged--there's an argument that a three-year lease might be about right."

Yeah, I thought about asking where he got those numbers from.

This part sounds made up.

It sounds like it came from his laptop experience.

If so, wrong comparison. In a laptop, the battery is frequently put near or next to hot components and most of them are kept near 100% SOC for long periods of time (when used plugged in). Those are two things that degrades batteries rapidly.

The Tesla pack is liquid cooled and it stays near 100% SOC for only short periods of time (basically only if you put it in range mode, charge fully, and don't use the charge for a couple of days).

Anyways, it looks like the RAV4 EV will get 100 miles of range easily (with range to spare).

Out & about in LA in the Rav4 EV & came across the Design Studio!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344019559.657771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A review with good pictures from CNET:

2012 Toyota RAV4 EV - SUV - CNET Reviews

Did anyone else notice this:
Included in the head unit is also the ability to set charging schedules for the RAV4 EV. Toyota set it up so drivers can program a departure time for each day of the week. The car will automatically try to give drivers a full charge based on the times they will head out. It can also be set to preheat or cool the cabin while it is plugged into the wall, depending on the outside temperature.
Will we get this capability in Model S? To be clear, you can set the charge START time in the Roadster but what I read in the above is that you can set the charge END time and the car will calculate when to start. This would be awesome to have in Model S.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice this:

Will we get this capability in Model S? To be clear, you can set the charge START time in the Roadster but what I read in the above is that you can set the charge END time and the car will calculate when to start. This would be awesome to have in Model S.

That is accurate, you can program 3 different things for all 7 days of the week including preconditioning the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do we know about the motor they're using? The specs kinda sound like what we'd expect from the smaller motor the AWD version of the Model X is using in the front.

I had that exact same thought a while back, and asked someone who ought to know who said it is the full model S motor, just not running at full power output. I suppose they could have been wrong, but I got indications that it is NOT that axillary Model X motor being used in the RAV4EV.

Also, of note, many EVs, like LEAF and even Roadster do well in < 60MPH acceleration, but start to feel like they are less impressive for highway passing. Not so, Model S, so I suspect RAV4EV will be an impressive highway cruiser as well. Probably more competent than LEAF for 70MPH passing.

(Having said that, Roadster does fine on highway passing, but just not as outrageous as it feels on a freeway onramp 20-65MPH.)

I wonder how the power-train engineers managed to squeeze out more high RPM power than in older designs. I suspect some creative 'black magic' was applied to do something novel.