Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Menlo Park sales/service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to the store shortly after 4. They had the blue and red Roadsters in the front and the others (yellow, gray, light blue) in the back. After seeing Radiant Red in person, I might reconsider and choose Electric Blue instead. The red is a little bit to dark for me. Anyway, it was great being there. I took some pictures:

2683782991_f42fb6962d.jpg

2684595156_482b4b8ed1.jpg

2684595582_17d136e569.jpg

2684589448_0b41c76852.jpg

More pictures here: Tesla Menlo Park - a set on Flickr

I was told that the green car in the back had the new transmission installed. Zak has driven thousands of miles in the Roadster with the old transmission and apparently he was stunned when he drove the single-speed prototype recently. He came back from the test drive with a big grin on his face ! :smile:

2683199905_ac7fb95f49.jpg

Nice work. I think electric blue may be my new favourite colour, but being British, I'd like to see more of the racing green one before I decide for sure. :smile:

I was going to say that Lotus green and yellow might be cool. I didn't have to wait long...

jacb_track.jpg

Last edited:
How much bigger is the noth store than the south store?

It is considerably larger. The "showroom" area is maybe 5 times larger than the same area in LA. About the same for the service area as well. The ceilings are much much higher too.

But that is just the one building that was opened. The property seems to have multiple buildings on it. I am not sure how many of these are being used by Tesla - if they have leased the entirety of the old Anderson Chevrolet site, or just parts of it.

At any rate. It is much much bigger than L.A.

Google Maps

I am sure it is difficult to judge this from the link, but the property is quite large.

I think they are using all of it.

From the google map you mentioned it is divided into:

Front (facing the street): Showroom (including the octagonal roofed section)
Big building connected in back: Service bays
Separate building to the right: New car assembly / prep.

Didn't get a chance to post about the opening till now.

It was a nice event. I can't say that there were any real celebrities there (like we saw in the coverage of the LA event), but many familiar Tesla faces where there. I managed to chat with Darryl, Elon, JB, and some other Tesla folk. Ze'ev Drori was there as well as other Tesla executives and board members. Spoke with Steve Casner and his wife and recognized some other "hear" bloggers. Even briefly saw Marc Tarpenning there.

The cars:
In the front show room were EP9 (electric blue) VP17 (radiant red), the aerodynamic buck and the fiberglass car (as seen in WKTEC and Ironman). In the large back service area were VP16 (glacier blue), VP1 (signature green), VP11 (thunder gray), and EP5 (yellow). Back in the super secret garage (where the drivetrains will be installed) were the familiar EP1 (black) and EP2 (red) in various states of disassembly as well as two customer cars. Oh and VP13 (very orange), which Elon had pulled up in, stayed parked outside till the end of the evening.

The place is pretty huge. A band played for a bit, but the whole thing was pretty low key by my standards. A bar tender told me that the event the previous night was a bit more active. Turns out it was the employee party, apparently a hipper younger crowd. :wink:

Met several TMC forum members that were there but certainly not all of them. We should have gotten that secret handshake/gang sign thing worked out. I did talk to a Tesla guy in marketing about having a forum meet at the Menlo Park store is he was quite supportive. So I'll probably start another thread to gauge interest for that.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm young and hip!

Oh, wait, I'm not young. Ok, not so hip either. Anymore.

So that means signature green is definitely not BRG (it nearly looked black in the corner it was in). VP16 was outfitted with production gear, nice to sit in and see all the final pieces - easy to see the whole screen of the stereo/GPS head unit. It was good to see the old war-horse (EP5) again after so long (we originally saw it after it had just gotten back from the pave tests).

The store definitely didn't look "quite" finished - no color samples on a wall anywhere, just a little too much blank space.

The Radiant Red martinis were good. And it was really nice talking to the engineers. Reminded me of when I was a young punk not long out of school. Oh... so... long... ago...

Last edited:
Well, the gas station is as close as can be as you can see here. If anything, I think that the gas station (with its $5/gal sign) provides an incentive to go take a look at the electric cars across the street !

As for the Dodge Magnum, it was there for just a couple of minutes. Some people stopped to take a look at the Roadsters.