Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The last 10% of charge at a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not used a supercharger many times (maybe 6?), so I'm not as familiar with how fast the charge should occur. But the one time I charged to 95% for a long road trip, I seem to remember it taking as long to get from 85% to 95% as it did to get from 30% to 85%. I understand the charge rate is slower near the end of the charge cycle and why this is true. Just wondering HOW MUCH slower it "should" be. Thanks.

The early website had a simple graphic but now they show a dynamic bar on Supercharger | Tesla
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 11.14.40 AM.png

I have not used a supercharger many times (maybe 6?), so I'm not as familiar with how fast the charge should occur. But the one time I charged to 95% for a long road trip, I seem to remember it taking as long to get from 85% to 95% as it did to get from 30% to 85%. I understand the charge rate is slower near the end of the charge cycle and why this is true. Just wondering HOW MUCH slower it "should" be. Thanks.

My general rule of thumb on road trips.

If I have enough to get to the next supercharger with at least 20% remaining; it will take me less time to drive to that SC and charge back up to 80% than it will for me to charge that remaining 20%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
My general rule of thumb on road trips.

If I have enough to get to the next supercharger with at least 20% remaining; it will take me less time to drive to that SC and charge back up to 80% than it will for me to charge that remaining 20%.
That's the best road trip strategy. You only need to charge enough to get to the next Supercharger. Keep your state of charge low and you will charge faster. (If you have range anxiety, watch the power consumption graph. You can speed up or slow down to arrive at the SC with a low state of charge.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
It rarely makes sense to supercharge past 85% but if you live for instance I in the upper Midwest and supercharger locations aren't as dense as the coasts, it needs to happen sometimes.

You still might be better-off charging to 85% and just driving slower. You can save a lot of range by slowing down. I guess you would have to figure-out the average MPH charge rate from 85 to 100% and decide if slowing-down by that much is worth it in terms of total time. Then again, you may prefer to sit at a Supercharger amenity longer vs. driving slow.

You still might be better-off charging to 85% and just driving slower. You can save a lot of range by slowing down. I guess you would have to figure-out the average MPH charge rate from 85 to 100% and decide if slowing-down by that much is worth it in terms of total time. Then again, you may prefer to sit at a Supercharger amenity longer vs. driving slow.
Honestly part of my issue is no charging at destination so I need extra to spend a day or two and make it back to the supercharger. My preferred route is 55mph scenic route vs interstate.
An over 180 mile stretch in Wisconsin winter means I want some buffer, car is 220 miles at 90%, you get some single digits temps and precipitation........

But what if you’re Ricky Bobby?

• Funny
Reactions: gavine
Graph shows that charging to 70% is ideal. After that, it tapers off. This is what I have observed with my 2015 Model S. If you can make it to the next Supercharger on 70%, most efficient to head out
it's more complicated than that since getting to another supercharger has time overhead of a detour.

So if a bit more time at the plug lets you skip a stop, it's absolutely worth it. That's why tools like ABRP are great - the help you calculate that to a big degree and try alternate routes.