Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you preheat the battery to charge at maximum speed at a Supercharger that is less than 10 minutes from the departure location?

My car is a 2021 Model 3 Performance. I sometimes stay at a friend's house and he has a 250kw V3 Supercharger nearby. The last 2 times I have charged there I have only been able to charge at around 69kw with an outside temperature of around 8 degrees.

I have read that turning the climate control on from the app does preheat the battery, how not to the temperature required for supercharging? Would it help to use this? If so, how long before departure should I turn on the climate for the 10 minute trip to the supercharger?

All advice appreciated, thank you.

The short answer is that you cannot get your battery to Supercharger-ready temps in ten minutes. And, no, there's no way to pre-schedule that.

Turning on climate will trigger battery heating if your pack is cold enough. But at 8C/46F you're already above the set point where that kind of battery heating will trigger. In those conditions, turning on climate will simply condition the cabin, nothing more. If your pack was truly cold-soaked, say between 0-4C, it would begin heating the pack. But that pack heating would cease when cell temps reached around 6C (the exact set points have varied slightly across different software releases).

The kind of pack heating that occurs when navigating towards a Supercharger is much, much higher. In the neighborhood of 48C/120F (and then continuing higher as the Supercharger session proceeds). Charge rates will be significantly reduced if you're not into that territory.

Maybe you could hit the Supercharger on the way to your friend's house, instead of when leaving?

Upvote 0
The short answer is that you cannot get your battery to Supercharger-ready temps in ten minutes. And, no, there's no way to pre-schedule that.
Thanks for your comments Regaj. Interestingly, I seem to have proved otherwise to the above in my experience today!

After just 11 mins navigating to the Supercharger, I was surprised to see that I pulled an average charge speed of 156kw and a peak of 200kw this time!

One significant difference is that I charged from 7% to 40% today. Checking Tessie I have noted that previously I charged from 37% to 53% and also 55% to 70% - I'm aware the charging speed is a lot quicker when the SOC is lower.

I did decide to try turning the climate on 50 mins before departure this time. But based on your comments it sounds like doing this wouldn't have made any difference.

Upvote 0
There was talk in the forums some time ago discussing a trick where you could route to a Supercharger while parked in your garage. I do not remember the trick details or know if it still works. I agree with the poster above, if possible, DC fast charge on the way to your friends house with a warmer battery.

Upvote 0