Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great Debate: Loaded 85D vs P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... Cool is the way to go.

But the air suspension is Cool.

I agree with the others that there is bound to be a lot of used P85's on the used market from those upgrading to the P85D. If you want the autopilot, you'll be limited to just what was produced in the last week or two, since just before the D event. Very limited supply. I'm very tempted with the autopilot with all the freeway driving that I do, but I'm still thinking that I'm going to wait until Model 3. I have two other EV's to keep me going until then.

Well I hope even though you buy the D you can select to drive AWD or rwd and disable the safety stuff so you can go crazy on a track.
Then there's no positive for rwd only above AWD

For the S model, the motor configuration is different between the regular and the D. I don't think you would want to disable the AWD. Half the horses would be missing.

For the P, the rear motor is the same between the regular and D configuration. But the D adds a second motor. Might be ok disabling the AWD in this one, but then it would revert back to being a standard p85+ with a bit more weight.

I enjoy snowboarding, but the mountains I go to (typically) are far from treacherous. So Awd is in the "nice to have" category for me.

Puget Sound snowboarder here. Seems that everybody wants AWD to go to the mountains around here, but in reality we need good tires and good traction control. Number of cars stuck in snow piles on Stevens and Mt. Hood (where AWD would make a difference) is by far much smaller than the number of cars sliding off the road going downhill on highway 2. Avoiding the latter, AWD is not a factor, but good traction control and good tires are. If anything, AWD gives drivers false sense of security.

I've been going up to the mountains in RWDs for the last ~10 years. Got stuck only once: climbing uphill from I-90 to the Alpental summit on summer low-profile tires in deep fresh snow. So, I don't use summer tires since then -- problem solved.

My point is that there are good reasons to have AWD, but skiing trips in WA is hardly one of them.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

So as I am moving towards my new Model S after the inventory debacle - I noticed that the 85D I was equipping was the same price as a P85 without some of the "nice to have" extras.

So I guess it comes down to the following: luxury vs performance.

Which version would you get with $100k budget?

Model S comparison table (range sort, from US site)

S60 208 miles range 5.9 sec 0-60 120 mph
S60D 225 miles range 5.7 sec 0-60 125 mph
S85 265 miles range 5.4 sec 0-60 125 mph
P85 265 miles range 4.2 sec 0-60 130 mph (odd duck with the lower top speed but better acceleration than the S85D)
S85D 295 miles range 5.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of range with no loss of top speed)

P85D 275 miles range 3.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of acceleration with some loss of range)

If I had all the money in the world I'd grab a S85D with tech package and 19" rims and ignore the P models entirely (85 kWh Model S $79,900, Dual Motor All Wheel Drive $4,000, Wall Connector $750, Tech Package with Autopilot $4,250, Blue Metallic Paint $750= 90,820 before $7,500 rebate, $83,320 after. oh I might spring for dual chargers or 19" cyclone wheels but I think the ~$91,000 version is close to my ideal).

If I somehow had the money for the choice my choice would be between a S60D new with tech package/autopilot ($82,820 configured as above saving $8,000) or a used S85 without tech package/autopilot (and I see some that fit that description for sale already).

in reality though I need something cheaper still, I'm looking down the road for a used S60D, used S60 or even S40, or a new Model 3. Cheapest one on autotrader that isn't a wreck is around $60,000 right now.

Honestly I don't need sub 6 second 0-60 times. I'll never push the 120MPH limit of a S60 let alone the faster speeds the others allow. I do want range but I could get by on the range of a S40, adding the range of a S60, S60D, or any flavor of 85 is just icing on the cake.

Lets see I don't need the speed, I don't need the acceleration, I don't even need the range, so what is it that makes me want a model S? Yeah it is pure electric with a battery I trust, no dealer markup/hassle, with a fast charging option I trust.

I'm happy if my Tesla is:

Able to charge at 10KW at home and >100KW at a supercharger
able to avoid battery degradation (compare Tesla vs Nissan Leaf for this one)
comes with Blue paint / Body Color Roof
has efficient tires (think 19" wheels for the S or 17" wheels for the model 3 and as narrow an aspect ratio as I can buy a good tire for it).

there is nothing on my wish list that can't be done with the cheapest model S

The P85 will have better performance 0-60. The S85D appears to have greater range and higher top end. In most cases, I can't see the AWD making much difference in handling or performance. The S85D may be more reliable because the power is split, less stress on each component. Or the P85 may be more reliable because less moving parts...

I'd say its a toss up.

I personally love the Air Suspension and the "P". As I said in another thread, I got a loaner without either and I really missed them. The Air Shocks are a lot smoother and make the car ride smooth as silk. With the coils I can feel every little micro bump. I think it feels much more refined and expensive with the Air. Plus i like how it lowers on the freeway. It made a noticeable difference when they re-enabled that a while back.

I too would take the P over the D. That extra power makes a fun car, even funner. It's the best money I spent and I'm glad someone talked me into it. So now I'm passing that along. Go for the "P". You won't regret it. If it were me buying today? I'd the P85D. THAT would be a crazy! But if I had to pick P or D? P all the way. I'll never give that up now that I've had it. ;)