Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The gen 4 Camry level 300+ mi range Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have actually been thinking to purchase a Leaf as a loaner to friends and friends of friends. I figured to let them use it for week, I am sure they'd be hooked after that point. I went so far as to go to a dealer to buy a 2015 Leaf in December, but the run around and misrepresentation of the actual price in the advertisements pissed me off and I left. I'm going to give it a go again in a couple of months. The other choices such as Spark EV and 500E are too small (people will think EV's have to be small), the eGolf and Kia too expensive for me to buy as a loaner. So the Leaf seems to me to be the best contender for a full 4 door, 5 seater, with some cargo space at a low price.

Go for a lease on the Leaf. It comes out a lot cheaper, since you don't intend to actually own and use it as a DD in the long run. Also, most dealerships will give you a runaround on BEV purchases (you won't see this issue with PHEV or conventional Hybrids) because they make bare minimum margins on the sale, and they know BEVs won't need any of the "regular maintenance services" that hybrids and ICE cars would need. They don't have a post-sale money making scheme to hook you on with a BEV. So, there's absolutely no incentive for them to sell you a BEV. Instead, the sales agent will try to steer you into buying a hybrid.

That would be "Model 4" in Tesla-speak. The question of "how much range do you need" has been debated endlessly, and all the data suggest that 200 real-world miles is enough. Is 300 better? Sure, but the extra 100 isn't free: it costs more, weighs more, and is physically larger. Tesla has no car at the 300+ range, and yet they have no apparent demand problems. What evidence are you thinking of that the mass market isn't willing to accept a 200-mile BEV?

Probably true, but the range is unfortunatley very variable with speed. Your 200 mile EV may only give 150 miles of range at reasonable motorway speed (80-90mph)...