Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The current strength decreases when I use an extension cord.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I want to set up charging in my apartment's garage from a regular 110V outlet. When I connect directly to the outlet (without using an extension cord), I get 110V and 12 Amps. However, when I use an extension cord, the current strength drops to 8 Amps. I can't charge without the extension cord because it blocks access for my neighbors. So, I decided that the extension cord would solve my problem. I bought a 150-foot extension cord with the following specifications: 15A, 1875W, 125V, 12AWG. Is there any way I can get 12 Amps, and what do I need to do for that?

You may have a voltage drop problem in using a 150 ft extension cord with only 12ga wire. This adds 300 ft of wire to whatever the wire length is from the breaker panel to the building outlet. 300 ft of wire, at 12 amps, has almost 15V drop. It's likely that the Tesla mobile connector senses the voltage and reduces current to keep the voltage above a threshold level. At 8 amps, the voltage drop is 9.5 V.

It's also possible that the temperature sensor in the mobile connectors plug has sensed a high temperature where it is plugged into the extension cord outlet and has scaled back the charging current to prevent a fire.

Using a shorter extension cord and/or larger gauge wire may increase the charging current. However, using an extension cord with a mobile connector is a fire hazard as the temperature sensor at the mobile connector plug is not at the building outlet. Cheap outlets, and those that have not been installed using best practices, can overheat when drawing high currents for long charging sessions.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I want to set up charging in my apartment's garage from a regular 110V outlet. When I connect directly to the outlet (without using an extension cord), I get 110V and 12 Amps. However, when I use an extension cord, the current strength drops to 8 Amps. I can't charge without the extension cord because it blocks access for my neighbors. So, I decided that the extension cord would solve my problem. I bought a 150-foot extension cord with the following specifications: 15A, 1875W, 125V, 12AWG. Is there any way I can get 12 Amps, and what do I need to do for that?

You mean "Foiimio" doesn't make quality extension cords? Color me shocked... :cool:

Also, if it's possible, but inconvenient, to reach without an extension cord, why do you need a 150ft one?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Adding length to a wire increases the resistance, which is why both the length of the run and the wire gauge matters. I use a 10 gauge generator extension cord on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Buy one only long enough to properly reach, and avoid anything made in China.
That outlet needs to be on a dedicated circuit. There should be no other loads on that circuit as you're pulling the maximum current on a continuous basis.

Upvote 0
Is there any way I can get 12 Amps, and what do I need to do for that?
Resistance increases from extra wire length and thin wire gauge, and you have both of those going on here. If it were only 15 or 20 feet, it probably wouldn't impact it much, but yours is much longer than that. As others mentioned, 10 gauge wire and shorter length should help this.

Reactions: Genie and GSP
Upvote 0