Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the building of the p85+ dragpack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a 2014 P85+ that now identifies on the screen as a P90+ (it has the new 7/8th of a p100d 350v 90kWh battery ) to modify and go drag racing with.

I wanted this car as a test bed as I know the battery is no were near its limit (700ish hp in the awd cars) so any improvents I make to the drive unit are not going to be held back.

So with a bone stock car except for putting some used 275/35-21 to test a 1in stagger in tire hieght, I met up with my friends to do a no prep race in southern Ontario Canada. I knew the tires were too soft for our hard tire class (220 and 400 is the limit) so i had to race in a class full of racecars on slicks.... oh well lol.
I as expected got crushed but I got a good baseline and had fun. The car had no issues with the tires so I was not worried about buy the next mod.
first race.jpg

So now comes the modifications to a drag car.

Step one traction.

I ordered a set of racestars 18x6 for the front and 18x10.5 rear designed for a 5th gen camaro. The tires are et street r 305/45-18 rear and 28x6 front

I had to grind the parking caliber and cut the guild off the lower control arm bolt to fit the 18's on the rear. The rear stopping caliper cleared no issue.

The fronts just bolted on.
image9.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image7.jpeg

The next modification needed was the ability to do a standing burnout. The track was not very happy with my rolling topfuel burnouts LOL. People in the crowed thought it was cool though. Since Elon doesn't want us doing brake torque burnouts I pulled the frunk, found a good home for 2 linelock solenoids, scanned the car, designed and printed a bracket and plumbed it all in. now I get to keep the ABS and do burnouts. (If I was smarter I know I could make the abs module do this but I am not so this is my solution)
image5.jpeg

The last part of this puzzle is the hardest and that is freeing up the power the car has waiting to get out and going parts that.

I have reached out to the STEINBAUER Engineering to get a quick and easy 100hp. Has anyone tried there product? In the end I know this will not be were the car sits but the ease of plug and play is pulling me in.

So over the year I will be looking to intergrate an AEM into the car, get lighter batteries with higher voltage and power, a new inverter rated for higher voltage and current, design a lots of custom parts and getting them made.

My goal for this year will to have a single motor model s deep into the 11's as a mostly stock model S and moving into next year 10's or maybe a 9.99 ;)

As a guy that has been building and racing gasoline cars for about 30 years I am having a lot of fun with this. It is so much fun logging the car and learning something new everyday.

You may check with Jason Hughes @wk057. He heavily modified his P85+. The car is now sold, but there's info here on it:

And here:

I have not heard of Steinbauer, but their website and info on Teslas isn't particularly encouraging. It's full of generic car modifying talk, and it shows a picture of a box like you're going to replace an ECU.

You may also reach out to Electrified Garage about increasing your power.

You may check with Jason Hughes @wk057. He heavily modified his P85+. The car is now sold, but there's info here on it:

And here:

I have not heard of Steinbauer, but their website and info on Teslas isn't particularly encouraging. It's full of generic car modifying talk, and it shows a picture of a box like you're going to replace an ECU.

You may also reach out to Electrified Garage about increasing your power.
I have reached out to Jason @wk057 and his company as i wanted to work with him and has not replied.... so there is that.

I talked with Steinbauer it is an inline box, so i suspect it is playing with the canbus and signals to get whatever is in the factory tune out. I have not been able to find any third party reviews, so I might have to be the guinea pig i guess.

It cost the same as an AEM and board, but I have not seen anyone piggyback an AEM into a model s and keep the car happy. That is a goal for over the winter for me, but the plug and play of the steinbauer is tempting for a boost this season. Sadly I am not a software guy, and standalone tuners are as close to that as I have gotten, I am no Jason Hughes.

So an update, I got the Tuner from Steinbauer, the customer service is 11 out of 10 seriously. They were not sure due to the 350V battery what would happen so they sent me the tuner and a laptop to do live log tuning. The car is now pulling over 400kw on a charge over 95%. I am very impressed with that, and what this would do on a car with a 400v battery would probably be crazy.

I could not get he 18in rims to fit for the race this fathers day sadly on the stock control arms, so I am designing chromoly heim jointed ones that will. I have ordered arms to scan and with the heim dogbones links i already made we will have a new stronger option going forward that will allow P85 too P100D people to put 18" rims and 305/45-18 drag radials on their car. I will add pictures too soon.

I also have a heat exchanger coming that i will be using CO2 to super cool the motor before and during the run. I hope this mod will allow us to safely put more then the 1450amps that the inverter is rated for (over clock your tesla anyone)

As for the bumper crash bar, that will sadly have to stay as long as I drive with my 20 month old in the car. Maybe by next year it will be repalced with a new car and this car will go all out.

Why I went RWD was as stated above for a few reasons, I am looking to get more power out of the LDU and for the porposes of testing it is better to not have and power diverted to the the front away from the rear. I hope that all mods that I figure out will also work on the AWD cars (like the control arms).

Reactions: EbS-P
So an update, I got the Tuner from Steinbauer, the customer service is 11 out of 10 seriously. They were not sure due to the 350V battery what would happen so they sent me the tuner and a laptop to do live log tuning. The car is now pulling over 400kw on a charge over 95%. I am very impressed with that, and what this would do on a car with a 400v battery would probably be crazy.
My car (P85D) has the 400 volt battery. I might have to try this. I found they advertised incorrect HP’s on their website for the P85D’s though. For the price of their units if you had to do it again would you buy another one? I assume you bought it direct and not 3rd party?

I could not get he 18in rims to fit for the race this fathers day sadly on the stock control arms, so I am designing chromoly heim jointed ones that will. I have ordered arms to scan and with the heim dogbones links i already made we will have a new stronger option going forward that will allow P85 too P100D people to put 18" rims and 305/45-18 drag radials on their car. I will add pictures too soon.

I also have a heat exchanger coming that i will be using CO2 to super cool the motor before and during the run. I hope this mod will allow us to safely put more then the 1450amps that the inverter is rated for (over clock your tesla anyone)

As for the bumper crash bar, that will sadly have to stay as long as I drive with my 20 month old in the car. Maybe by next year it will be repalced with a new car and this car will go all out.

Why I went RWD was as stated above for a few reasons, I am looking to get more power out of the LDU and for the porposes of testing it is better to not have and power diverted to the the front away from the rear. I hope that all mods that I figure out will also work on the AWD cars (like the control arms).
Hi, interesting project, what is the status now?