Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS P85 parting out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2014 MS P85 that has a burned up BMI, contactors and needs a new drive unit Tesla also wants to replace the high voltage fuse because it is the old one. They tested the battery and said it passed all there tests. I. am wavering on what to do spend the 9k they want to replace those items that also include a 4 year 50k warranty. or part the car out. It is in prestine condition not a ding or scratch on the entire car no wear to speak of in the interior. Car has 110k miles, 21 inch wheels and new tires cream interior exterior is white.
Any idea on what the market is for parting it? Anyone know somebody that would buy the entire car?

Here's what you have to ask yourself holding everything else constant:

"Would $9k afford me a car that is better than a used 2014 MS P85 with 110k miles in the same condition as yours right now and 100% fully functional?"

If the answer is no, then pay the $9k and you have yourself an awesome car for the extended foreseeable future. If the answer is yes, then dump the P85 and go buy that $9k car that is better.

Your P85 is now literally a 5k-pound lawn ornament. It's really all about the $9k and your transportation options.

To answer your questions, I think parting out an EV is going to be more headache than it's worth. There are not a lot of DIYers when it comes to EVs, As far as someone buying the entire car?... well, they would be asking the same question I pose to you, plus whatever you're asking on top, for your dead P85.

Reactions: teko
So I have a 2014 MS P85 that has a burned up BMI, contactors and needs a new drive unit Tesla also wants to replace the high voltage fuse because it is the old one. They tested the battery and said it passed all there tests. I. am wavering on what to do spend the 9k they want to replace those items that also include a 4 year 50k warranty. or part the car out. It is in prestine condition not a ding or scratch on the entire car no wear to speak of in the interior. Car has 110k miles, 21 inch wheels and new tires cream interior exterior is white.
Any idea on what the market is for parting it? Anyone know somebody that would buy the entire car?
Why would you not fix this car? If it has free supercharging you can potentially get 5+ more years out of the car

Reactions: teko
Thank you for your responses it definitely makes me rethink this whole thing. My only hold up is the battery pack yes they did test and it passed there testing just don't want to face a 20k bill next year. Again thank you for your responses.

Thank you for your responses it definitely makes me rethink this whole thing. My only hold up is the battery pack yes they did test and it passed there testing just don't want to face a 20k bill next year. Again thank you for your responses.

As I mentioned "holding everything else constant" meaning that the HV battery is still in good condition. We've all read the horror stories of HV batteries going bad at the very worse and unexpected times however nobody has a crystal ball so you can only make choices based on what you know today.

If it was me, I'd fork over the $9k and get it fixed. There's no way you're gonna get a P85 for $9k anywhere right now... probably not even a dead one. If $9k is a stretch right now and transportation is a necessity, then go buy whatever car you can afford and start saving towards that $9k as when you do have $9k, you're still going to be better off than you were before with that P85.

Good luck!