Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was informed by one of the engineers at tesla that the cars had a power reduction at a certain speed some customers after reviewing data sent back had front lifted which was a major concern. If you look at the time slip from Jay leno it proved that the car was way faster . Jay lenno is not 150lb for sure and yes the track was prepped. Even his 1/8 mile time and trap was much higher than and stock full weight plaid can do. Andrews plaid has weight reduction enabling him to achieve 9.2s ( which is what the car did when jay lenno ran it with 21 inch wheels. ) . Either way the car is still stupid fast and until the plaid + or roadster comes out we just have to wait and see
It's a very tiny weight reduction and he just managed a 9.18 after 1000 plus runs.

since this is a drag racing thread, albeit plaid specific, I’ll be taking my 22 refresh MS (non plaid) to Pueblo drags next sat. Will be curious to see how she does at this altitude with the air density.
Make sure you can run. I tried to go to the cash days thing this past weekend and they specifically banned Plaids in the rules. Check out the no-prep street drags or track sprints at PPIR this weekend, it's super laid-back and you can run 30 times if you like.

I think it’s already there, to be unlocked via a paywall software update, sorta of “acceleration boost” or something.
I think the battery pack it's at the edge and not able to support any more power.
Motors are capable of 932 KW or 1267 Horses, but the Amps required for a power increase in conjunction with the 400-v architecture, are not up to the task.
Thats why with some battery degradation, ours loses some power, and the previous model didn't.
There is some room spare in the Raven or Model 3P.

I’d rock the Taycan turbo gt over the sapphire no doubt on just looks and brand alone. it's the best looking EV sedan on the market now: 1) tgt; 2) Audi rs e-tron refresh; 3) MSP.

Love the competition! I wonder how lucid got it done sans carbon sleeves and what the actual top speed is on the sapphire. funny how our budget rocket sled is still the lightest by far even when lucid's laser focused on efficiency everywhere. Really cool to witness. I imagine the handling is where the most of your money goes to truly step well above MSP level.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Pueblo is an NHRA sanctioned track so they should be running off current rules
NHRA doesn't have a roll cage requirement for them, but they do have a chute requirement for traps higher than 150.00 I think they should reconsider the chute requirement based on the shutdown area of the track, but also understand it's much easier to put a single rule out and make everyone follow that.

That’s some horseshit though. What was there excuse? Honestly going to PPIR would be closer than Pueblo
I didn't even ask, I just went to PPIR instead. If I had to guess, it's because they know a stock Plaid will likely dominate in the "Street" class against all the highly modified ICE cars. I noticed the tires were required to have a 300 or greater treadwear rating, and exactly 0 RWD cars are going to run fast on that. It's fine, I enjoy 1/8 mile no-prep, it's fun humbling 20 "fast" Hellcats, Vettes, Subarus, and Audis in a day.

Reactions: cptnslo
NHRA doesn't have a roll cage requirement for them, but they do have a chute requirement for traps higher than 150.00 I think they should reconsider the chute requirement based on the shutdown area of the track, but also understand it's much easier to put a single rule out and make everyone follow that.
lol I mean I’m in a refresh model s not a plaid so if i magically trap 150 I need to see what’s powering my car lol

Reactions: Sam1
I didn't even ask, I just went to PPIR instead. If I had to guess, it's because they know a stock Plaid will likely dominate in the "Street" class against all the highly modified ICE cars. I noticed the tires were required to have a 300 or greater treadwear rating, and exactly 0 RWD cars are going to run fast on that. It's fine, I enjoy 1/8 mile no-prep, it's fun humbling 20 "fast" Hellcats, Vettes, Subarus, and Audis in a day.
100% I get that. I def want to do some PPIR stuff but I’m trying to decide if I wanna make the longer drive just so I can get some true 1/4mi stuff for the regular MS vs a plaid. Then the next time do the 1/8mi. I’ve never done 1/8 Ive always had access to a 1/4mi track within 30 min of wherever I was living 😅

100% I get that. I def want to do some PPIR stuff but I’m trying to decide if I wanna make the longer drive just so I can get some true 1/4mi stuff for the regular MS vs a plaid. Then the next time do the 1/8mi. I’ve never done 1/8 Ive always had access to a 1/4mi track within 30 min of wherever I was living 😅
For a regular MS, I'd go to Pueblo and do some 1/4 mile, but it would probably be a great 1/8th car at PPIR since it will likely dead hook on that slippery asphalt. Plus, it's easy to find a safe 1/8th mile spot just about anywhere.

Reactions: cptnslo
I wonder how lucid got it done sans carbon sleeves and what the actual top speed is on the sapphire.
Sapphire's top speed is 205 mph, similar to Plaid's track package. The Plaid has higher gearing than the previous performance Model Ss, so even at 200 mph the top motor rpm is about the same as before. The carbon fiber will be needed for the Roadster with its 250+ mph top speed.

Although, the carbon fiber does allow Tesla to have gaps in the perimeter of the rotor which they say gives 20 percent greater high rpm reluctance torque.

Last edited: