Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That very loud and painful "clunk"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered. You have to remember that forums like this are a focus point for people to post issues. It dramatically magnifies them out of proportion. Pick an enthusiasts forum for any car you like and read it. - full of these stories.

Good luck.

Yes, I'll be the first to state that I don't think this is something anyone should be worried about. My car was one of the first 1000. The service experience was great, far beyond what I expect, and there have been several revisions of the battery packs since mine.

I share the story so that others know what it "feels" like and what the symptoms are.

Flasher,

Thanks for clarifying when your car was delivered.

Tesla now has over 25K MS on the road so, statistically speaking, you will see more reports of issues. Also, Tesla made changes to the battery packs for a reason. For all we know, there may be system related changes (in addition to chemistry) in the different versions of packs to address issues learned in production. We know they are doing it to the car (sub-frame bushings, lower a-arm bushings, door handles,,) so there is no reason to think they are not doing the exact same thing with the battery.

Thanks for helping to pave the way Flasher and I hope you get your baby back soon. For me, it is not so much the inconvenience of having an issue, its the thought of having to drive ICE that really puts me off. I'm now irreversibly spoiled.

So what exactly causes the loud clunk? Is it a single battery exploding inside the pack? Is it some sort of huge arcing inside the electronics?

Given that the failure happens under the load of acceleration, and the understanding is that the contactors are disengaging, I'd expect it's the sound of whatever arcing may occur when the contacts open with significant current flowing as well as any drive line slack immediately unloading...

Thanks for helping to pave the way Flasher and I hope you get your baby back soon. For me, it is not so much the inconvenience of having an issue, its the thought of having to drive ICE that really puts me off. I'm now irreversibly spoiled.

It just means I *have* to get the '65 GTO out as my car for a day or two... :) It may cost me $6 in gas just to start the thing, but it is a fun car to drive, too.

19500 miles. I suspect battery at this point, as I sat in the car the symptoms got progressively worse. When the flatbed arrived, we were unable to get it to power up the drivetrain - car needs service, 12v battery low - and it wouldn't go into gear. I was able to get it into tow mode so it could be dragged into the truck. As of 12:15 the 12v system had gone dead and I lost remote telemetry. If it were drive unit, my guess is that I wouldn't have lost the 12v system charging.

If the traction pack contactors disengage because of catastrophic drive unit failure (most likely inverter) the 12V will definately go dead as the DC-DC won't have any power to recharge it.

If the traction pack contactors disengage because of catastrophic drive unit failure (most likely inverter) the 12V will definately go dead as the DC-DC won't have any power to recharge it.

It seems the disengaging is only temporary, at least from my experience and assumptions.

There was a difference between the two times it happened. After the first, the car seemed to recover okay after giving me all of the alerts. After a few minutes, the car showed no alerts and could be powered up and driven gingerly (so obviously the contactor had re-engaged and was recharging the 12V battery). The second time it happened, the "car needs service" error remained on the screen (with all others clearing) while I waited for the tow truck - displays on (I would have figured it would have gone dead) and climate control on, which I believe wouldn't be possible without the contactors still working. The "12V battery low" didn't return until I tried to put it in gear and drive it on the truck, and the 12V system went dead just as it arrived at the service center (I watched the flatbed arrive via the mobile app) - so at that point it appears the contactors would no longer close.

From the experiences I'm reading here, sounds like there's a consensus of an inverter failure, and given that it was complicated with a later failure of the 12V system, it may have affected the contactors in the pack. Let's see what happens on Monday.

Lovin the Yugo references! ;)

We're you sitting in the car waiting for the tow truck?
What I'm wondering is what might be best practice in this kind of an situation (if any)?
I.e. I suppose it's possible if you were outside the car, and if it went completely dead, you wouldn't even be able to get it in to tow mode. Staying in the car and prepping it ahead of time might afford you an easier "lift".

Hind-sight being 20/20 that is.

Finally (OT), are there already a C and D packs out there? Wasn't aware they had moved on past B.

It appears that A packs fail at an unusually high rate (at least 3 Sigs in 3 weeks). This could be costly in the long term to owners and Tesla.

Yes, good to see you picked up on this as well. I'm sure that newer cars rolling off the line are much more reliable in this regard, but it seems to me that we might have a TSB coming up to provide a fix for this issue. Those 3 Sig failures in recent weeks are only the ones reported here by our members. I'm positive there have been others that have gone unreported.

I'm a low VIN Sig car, but have not had any major service actions taken on my car. Others present a long list of reliability issues, drivetrain replacements, and even new battery packs, but my car hasn't needed any of these replacements (yet).

We're you sitting in the car waiting for the tow truck?
What I'm wondering is what might be best practice in this kind of an situation (if any)?
I.e. I suppose it's possible if you were outside the car, and if it went completely dead, you wouldn't even be able to get it in to tow mode. Staying in the car and prepping it ahead of time might afford you an easier "lift".

Yes, I was sitting on a residential side street. I had already engaged tow mode, in case I were to lose the 12V system - but that's obviously only possible if you're on a flat street (I live in the Prairie State, so there's no shortage of flat-ness out here). I was sitting in the car with climate control running, mostly surfing the web and TMC while waiting for the tow. None of Tesla's trained tow operators were available immediately, so we had a quick study lesson of the "transporting" card in my car before he loaded it under my supervision with an alternate provider.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a low VIN Sig car, but have not had any major service actions taken on my car. Others present a long list of reliability issues, drivetrain replacements, and even new battery packs, but my car hasn't needed any of these replacements (yet).

My car has (knock on wood) been reliable up to this point, with only the minor TSB needs. I had an initial problem (disconnected GPS antenna) that may have come loose in transit, the 12V battery replacement (which Tesla proactively and completely handled for me), and now last night's events. I don't have a big list of nagging things (other than the fact the cupholders suck :)) and hopefully this type of failure and my experience helps Tesla improve reliability for the next generation.

I think the "clunk" you feel and hear is a result of the motor under load losing all input power instantly, be it from a contactor opening, a pack failure, or an inverter failure.
That was my interpretation (but stated more clearly than I could).

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered. You have to remember that forums like this are a focus point for people to post issues. It dramatically magnifies them out of proportion. Pick an enthusiasts forum for any car you like and read it. - full of these stories.
Gratz. I look forward to seeing your "first few days" post in April!

Yes, I'll be the first to state that I don't think this is something anyone should be worried about.

I'll second that.

Mine was an original battery, and early vin, so there was bound to be a few things they've improved upon on the battery.

When my "thunk" occurred, I was accelerating hard, er driving I mean, up bunker hill in downtown LA. I love the power this car has in acceleration going up steep incline - what other car can do that? Anyway, the car was under very hard acceleration when it occurred. But the car coasted up the hill completely, and I had plenty of time to pull over, call Tesla. A much better experience than I could ever of expected from Tesla. Thanks Tesla!!