Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tham's MYP Log/Journal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I just wanted to document my initial experiences with our first EV from soup to nuts and log anything noteworthy that comes up in the future.

Ordering​

We initially ordered sometime early JAN-2023 once we'd heard about the Tesla price drops in addition to the IRS tax incentives. This was enough to push us from a position where we weren't even thinking about buying a new car into one where we were scrambling to order. We were previously a 1-car family, so a second car was inevitable, and the pieces simply fell into place (with a bit of luck).

Delivery​

Roughly 3 months after ordering, our car was fully baked and delivered on 11-MAR-2023! The overall purchasing and delivery experience was like nothing I've experienced before (in a good way). We parked, walked into their "Delivery Center," checked in, and were given full access to our vehicle waiting for us inside this massive open warehouse-type room with ~30 or so other Teslas and a hundred other excited people! I've only purchased one new car previously, and I'm happy to report that this experience was in a completely different league. Nobody browbeating you into buying coverage and warranties for every square inch of the car, no finance team breathing down your neck, no price haggling for anything. If I had my way, I would only buy cars using this model moving forward. Wife and I ran through a fairly thorough checklist we found online and were never pressured to hurry or anything. In fact, there were several polite Tesla associates walking around that frequently asked if we had any questions or if we needed help with anything - it was great.

IMG_0133.JPEG

Of course, you can't talk about a Tesla delivery without every horror story you've ever read on the internet coming to mind. I'll say this - I think we got very lucky. Our car certainly wasn't perfect, but it was in great shape overall. After an hour (or more) of scrutiny, we found 2-3 small paint nibs where it looked like a speck of dust landed on the panel during the painting process, and a light scuff on the rear passenger side plastic trim above the wheel. Having never owned a Tesla before, I didn't find any of the dreaded panel gaps so offensive that they warranted opening a service ticket, or worse, rejecting the car altogether. We were happy campers.

After completing the checklist, we walked up to a desk they'd setup with a couple associates on standby to walk you through accepting the car, and off we went into the sunset.

...I wish I could close out this segment here, but maybe this will actually help someone in the future. Ready to roll, I decided to plug in our home address and book it! Not even 60 seconds later I found myself locked into a friggin' EZ Pass lane. Problem? I don't have an EZ Pass, and was not prepared for tolls of any kind! S#!t! I didn't go through the toll and took the exit instead - we'll see what happens. After finally arriving home, I found that nifty little "Avoid tolls" toggle under the Navigation menu. ;)

Total Cost​

As of now (17-MAR-2023), we've only been in possession of the car for 6 days, so interpret "Total Cost" as more of a running tab. :p

Accessories​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE
23-JAN-20230Model Y All-Weather Interior Liners$225
23-JAN-20230Model Y All-Weather Rear Cargo Liner Set$190
17-FEB-20230Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector$425
17-FEB-20230Wall Connector Installation$1,330
18-FEB-20230Spigen Tempered Glass Matte Screen Protector$40
18-FEB-20230Rally Armor Mud Flaps$182.25
19-FEB-20230Center Console Cup Holder$20
21-FEB-20230Infinity 7-in-1 Emergency Tool, 2-pack$15
23-FEB-20230Model S/3/Y Pet Liner (tesla.com)$145
23-FEB-20230Model 3/Y Center Console Trays (tesla.com)$30
23-FEB-20230Lifting Jack Pad for Tesla Model 3/S/X/Y$26.50
23-FEB-20230Auto Trim Removal Tool Set$14
24-FEB-20230SnapPlate (2020-2023 Model Y) – EveryAmp$120
24-FEB-20230Silicone License Plate Frames$12
5-MAR-20230Abstract Ocean Dual Motor + TESLA Emblems$42

Auto Care​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE
15-MAR-202340PPF "Track Package" & Tint$3,230.31
15-MAR-202340Passenger Front Fender PDR$1,160.00

Maintenance​

TBD

More edits to come. Reserving the next post for an "Event Log" of sorts. We'll see how it goes!

I got all my PPF, tint, and body work all done at a local shop in Virginia. Not sure that would apply to you as a Los Angeles resident, but if you're still interested, I can share details. :p

Purchasing a Tesla (or any car for that matter), is certainly an interesting and multi-faceted decision. I went into it understanding that thorough inspection of your car is a double-edged sword. On one hand, I strongly feel that plopping down $60k+ for anything certainly entitles you to a level of expectations that include your new investment looking and feeling, well... new. On the other hand, a fair amount of research and reviews from Tesla owners will quickly teach you what to look for and, in some ways, humble your expectations. Ultimately, I went into my delivery expecting those "inevitable" imperfections and knew full well that I wouldn't turn down a car that was over $20k cheaper than it was 3 months ago because of a couple paint nibs, if that makes sense. So, in a weird way, I wanted to know about any and every imperfection with my car regardless of whether or not I planned on correcting them - maybe that makes me a little crazy!

Best of luck with your MS! Your story is the exact reason I didn't bother with my SC once the dent on my fender was pointed out to me. First I'd somehow have to prove it was there and I missed it upon delivery. Then I'd have to trust them to fix it properly and not mess up anything else. Sort of a depressing outlook, but again, this is the impression I got of Tesla service centers when reading about them across the web.

Personally, I'm not a long time Tesla owner, but have several friends who are. Each one of them tells me it's the best and most fun car they've ever owned. They certainly helped sell me on buying one!

As of writing this post, I currently have no experience with service centers, but again, I haven't heard great things overall.

As for ride comfort, I think I lucked out in that department. Two complaints I hear frequently about the MYP are that the suspension rides stiff, and there's audible wind noise. Somehow I ended up with neither of these problems (thank god). Seems like somewhat of a roll of the dice.

Regarding that $68k price point, I'm not sure I can push you in one direction or the other. We only purchased because the MY performance dropped in price SO much, and was like $2k more than the LR at lowest in early February. I want to say ours was in the realm of $57k + $1k for the MSM color upgrade. As the car approaches $70k I personally start to lose interest for a number of reasons (personal finances, EV competition, next wave of Teslas rumored to be coming soon, etc.). That aside, I love my MYP and think it's worth every penny so far. :)
How were you able to get it at 2k above the LR. When we ordered our, we didn’t get the model Y performance because it didn’t qualify for the tax credit. Then the credit was raised to 80k, but by then MYP was 58k. Then with any options+1200 destination fee, and taxes…. We got our MY @52500+2000 for blue exterior and white interior. Came to 54500, which was still under $55k. I think at that time the performance was 56500. We got ours in Rockville, MD.

How were you able to get it at 2k above the LR. When we ordered our, we didn’t get the model Y performance because it didn’t qualify for the tax credit. Then the credit was raised to 80k, but by then MYP was 58k. Then with any options+1200 destination fee, and taxes…. We got our MY @52500+2000 for blue exterior and white interior. Came to 54500, which was still under $55k. I think at that time the performance was 56500. We got ours in Rockville, MD.
I was referencing the price tag without options, fees, etc.

Your timeline isn't quite accurate. There was roughly a 12-hour window on 3-FEB-2023 where the MYP was offered at $56,990 after the IRS increased the $55k tax incentive threshold. Around midnight ET, the price had already gone up $1k to $57,990 because of the mad dash for MYP that day.

I just checked because I was curious - our vehicle order agreement looks like this:

MYP: $56,990
MSM: $1,000
-----------------------
Subtotal: $57,990
Destination + Order Fees: $1,640
-----------------------
Pre-tax Total: $59,630

So, taxes did end up running the grand total up to roughly $62k out the door, but that's still a far cry from $70k for me, personally.

Edit: Of course, the $7,500 tax credit drops it back down to a cool $54,500. At that price point, the value is extremely difficult to beat IMO.

Last edited:
I was referencing the price tag without options, fees, etc.

Your timeline isn't quite accurate. There was roughly a 12-hour window on 3-FEB-2023 where the MYP was offered at $56,990 after the IRS increased the $55k tax incentive threshold. Around midnight ET, the price had already gone up $1k to $57,990 because of the mad dash for MYP that day.

I just checked because I was curious - our vehicle order agreement looks like this:

MYP: $56,990
MSM: $1,000
-----------------------
Subtotal: $57,990
Destination + Order Fees: $1,640
-----------------------
Pre-tax Total: $59,630

So, taxes did end up running the grand total up to roughly $62k out the door, but that's still a far cry from $70k for me, personally.
You lucked out HARD!!!! Lol. I really wanted the performance. My brother and my cousin has the performance. Far better value at that price vs regular Y. Especially with the tax credit.

Since it’s my wife’s car, I m ok with it. But if it was my car…definitely wouldn’t get the LR. For us it was too late, when IRS raised the tax credit to 80. By then changing to performance was $6000 more than what we paid for ours. And March -April delivery.

Wife doesn’t care as long as she gets to drive her little “tesla” around. Lol.

Congrats on the new ride!

A couple of things stood out to me on your price lists:
1. I didn't realize the Rally Armor mudflaps cost that much! I've had to replace my OEM mudflaps a couple of times after losing them in snow banks. The OEM ones are $40/set (front only), so I guess the Rally Armor ones are roughly double the price. I've never looked into them so I was a bit surprised by the $182/set price.
2. How come the PDR on front fender cost $1,160? My car got nailed by golf ball sized hail last year all over and cost a bit over $3k for PDR. Then it got hit again 4 months later by smaller hail with a couple of dents on 5 separate panels and total PDR cost was a bit over $600. $1,160 seems excessive for one fender unless I'm missing something?
I ran the OEM Tesla ones. Shattered them. Then next, grabbed some cheap Amazon ones, pretty much same quality, smashed those and cracked them as well.

Finally bought Rally Armor. I think they look AWESOME, and due to not being hard plastic, they can go over speed bumps, road imperfections, etc and even if they bottom out and get snagged on the road, they just slide and deform for a moment and spring back into place, while still doing their great job at deflecting dirt and mud.

I basically spent Rally Armor mud flaps with all the mud flaps I ended up destroying.

I ran the OEM Tesla ones. Shattered them. Then next, grabbed some cheap Amazon ones, pretty much same quality, smashed those and cracked them as well.

Finally bought Rally Armor. I think they look AWESOME, and due to not being hard plastic, they can go over speed bumps, road imperfections, etc and even if they bottom out and get snagged on the road, they just slide and deform for a moment and spring back into place, while still doing their great job at deflecting dirt and mud.

I basically spent Rally Armor mud flaps with all the mud flaps I ended up destroying.
How do you shatter so many mud flaps. I been driving over 25+ years and haven’t destroyed a single mud flap.
Even with rally armor mud flaps, snow and ice accumulates between the wheel and body part of wheel well. It literally does no benefits in the snow over other mud flaps

I ordered the OEM ones, figure if I break them then I'll go for Rally Armor like you.

Hi all. I just wanted to document my initial experiences with our first EV from soup to nuts and log anything noteworthy that comes up in the future.

Ordering​

We initially ordered sometime early JAN-2023 once we'd heard about the Tesla price drops in addition to the IRS tax incentives. This was enough to push us from a position where we weren't even thinking about buying a new car into one where we were scrambling to order. We were previously a 1-car family, so a second car was inevitable, and the pieces simply fell into place (with a bit of luck).

Delivery​

Roughly 3 months after ordering, our car was fully baked and delivered on 11-MAR-2023! The overall purchasing and delivery experience was like nothing I've experienced before (in a good way). We parked, walked into their "Delivery Center," checked in, and were given full access to our vehicle waiting for us inside this massive open warehouse-type room with ~30 or so other Teslas and a hundred other excited people! I've only purchased one new car previously, and I'm happy to report that this experience was in a completely different league. Nobody browbeating you into buying coverage and warranties for every square inch of the car, no finance team breathing down your neck, no price haggling for anything. If I had my way, I would only buy cars using this model moving forward. Wife and I ran through a fairly thorough checklist we found online and were never pressured to hurry or anything. In fact, there were several polite Tesla associates walking around that frequently asked if we had any questions or if we needed help with anything - it was great.

View attachment 918716

Of course, you can't talk about a Tesla delivery without every horror story you've ever read on the internet coming to mind. I'll say this - I think we got very lucky. Our car certainly wasn't perfect, but it was in great shape overall. After an hour (or more) of scrutiny, we found 2-3 small paint nibs where it looked like a speck of dust landed on the panel during the painting process, and a light scuff on the rear passenger side plastic trim above the wheel. Having never owned a Tesla before, I didn't find any of the dreaded panel gaps so offensive that they warranted opening a service ticket, or worse, rejecting the car altogether. We were happy campers.

After completing the checklist, we walked up to a desk they'd setup with a couple associates on standby to walk you through accepting the car, and off we went into the sunset.

...I wish I could close out this segment here, but maybe this will actually help someone in the future. Ready to roll, I decided to plug in our home address and book it! Not even 60 seconds later I found myself locked into a friggin' EZ Pass lane. Problem? I don't have an EZ Pass, and was not prepared for tolls of any kind! S#!t! I didn't go through the toll and took the exit instead - we'll see what happens. After finally arriving home, I found that nifty little "Avoid tolls" toggle under the Navigation menu. ;)

Total Cost​

As of now (17-MAR-2023), we've only been in possession of the car for 6 days, so interpret "Total Cost" as more of a running tab. :p

Accessories​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE

Auto Care​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE

Maintenance​

TBD

More edits to come. Reserving the next post for an "Event Log" of sorts. We'll see how it goes!
You have to get the power Frunk. It kicks arse. I was skeptical and concerned when I bought mine but now that it is installed its awesome. Especially paired to the tesla for apple watch and Siri. Just ask siry to open. Took me about 4 hours but would do it again. One can go crazy on Tesla Accesories lol.

How do you shatter so many mud flaps. I been driving over 25+ years and haven’t destroyed a single mud flap.
Even with rally armor mud flaps, snow and ice accumulates between the wheel and body part of wheel well. It literally does no benefits in the snow over other mud flaps
A (slightly under stock height of a Performance Y) lowered car, and horrendous roads with insane amounts of insanely deep potholes. A driveway literally shaped like a sidewalk/curb.

Got it. MYP is probably the only car in that class (< 4 seconds) that people get mud flaps for. Recently noticed majority of the cars on the road does not have mud flaps. Lol
Unfortunately due to the design, that rear lower panel gets absolutely pelted by pebbles and road debris, so flaps. And it would look quite strange to have them just on the front (and I guess it's sorta a nice gesture to throw them on the rear to not kick stuff up to people behind me on the road), hence mud flaps on all sides.

Plus, I think it looks pretty cool. Lol.

Unfortunately due to the design, that rear lower panel gets absolutely pelted by pebbles and road debris, so flaps. And it would look quite strange to have them just on the front (and I guess it's sorta a nice gesture to throw them on the rear to not kick stuff up to people behind me on the road), hence mud flaps on all sides.

Plus, I think it looks pretty cool. Lol.
I would appreciate if pickup drivers would also cover their rear 3hit. A week after buying my car and putting on a winsdhield UV protector flippin jacked up pickup truck spit a stone right into my windshield 😩😩😩

Ordering​

Delivery​

View attachment 918716

Total Cost​

Accessories​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE

Auto Care​

DATEMILEAGEITEMPRICE

Maintenance​

TBD

Looks like you picked your car up in Tyson’s! I picked up my MYP there on the 25th and like you, was blown away by the ease of the process. My car was also in nearly perfect condition. I say nearly, because when I got home I noticed there was a ton of sand in the cracks and crevices of the car. The only thing I can think of is that the car transport truck parked in the desert on its way to Virginia from Fremont, CA. I have a black car and am terrified to wipe the sand out in any way, so, I got out my little compressed air bottle and went to work. That seems to have gotten out most if it. Other than that, I’m in love! :)