Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Th!nk in trouble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps some good news for the embattled EV manufacturer:

Kleiner Perkins and RockPort Capital, two leading US Cleantech investors launch joint venture with Norwegian electrical vehicle company Think

The Norwegian electric car producer Think reaches across the Atlantic and establishes TH!NK North America in partnership with the leading clean-tech investors RockPort Capital Partners and Kleiner Perkins, Caufield and Byers

http://www.think.no/think/Press-Pic...th-Norwegian-electrical-vehicle-company-Think

Last edited:
This press release seems like it was dated from back in April (which may be one reason it could sort of get away with claiming they were "world’s only crash-tested and highway-certified EV" since only a handful of Roadsters were on the road by then).

Have I misread this? It doesn't look like this deal can help them get out of their current problems...

I get very confused when I hear about funding...take Tesla for instane. There have been various rounds from investors. Does that mean they offered bonds, or some sort of stock--ownership? That doesn't even begin to explain the VC's investments. I am curious how Tesla's investments pay off, or are supposed to pay off... That goes for all of these start-ups as well.

I think the first rounds of funding were typical where they buy stock for their investment. In some cases additional rounds of funding "dilute" the earlier investors as they start having to issue new stock. I think their last round of financing was convertible debt which may well have been the sale of some special bonds that can later be converted to stock.

Think established their North America division sometime this april yes. So nothing new there. It seems Think now is under some sort of bankruptcy protection scheme, which means their deptors can't demand money now and they stay alive until after christmas when the goverment package arrives...

Cobos

@DDB @TEG

in almost all cases, the investment returns for those who invest in startups come from a "liquidity event", which is usually an IPO, a merger or acquisition. These types of investors are generally not looking to get an "annuity" on their investment (i.e. they invest $10M with the expectation of a steady stream of interest at $1M a year) but rather expect a very large multiple on their investment (10-20X) or they expect the company to fail and they get nothing.

"Forecast appears gloomy" for the Th!nk, and there's even some doom saying about Tesla, keeping in the realm of the EV World:

Electric Car Darwinisim: Th!nk Falters

Published December 16, 2008
think-city-377.jpg
The Th!nk City electric car was planned to hit the US market in the next year or two. Now, its fate is entirely uncertain.

.figure.inlineRight.width-300px { display: none } Electric carmaker Th!nk was denied its request to the Norwegian government for loan guarantees to weather the current economic crisis. The denial may have sealed the company’s fate.
think-city-610.jpg
Th!nk City.

Th!nk requested an estimated $15 to $30 million bailout. According to the company, those short-term guarantees, plus a temporary work stoppage and a layoff of 50 to 70 percent of the company’s 250 employees, was necessary to keep the business afloat. The government funding could have enabled Th!nk to stay on track for launching the Th!nk City, a zero-emission micro car, in European and US markets in the next year or two. The Th!nk City is capable of reaching 65 miles per hour and traveling up to 110 miles on a single charge.

"There are many companies that are in a demanding financial situation," Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry Rikke Lind told Reuters. "The government cannot go in on the ownership side or provide loans to specific companies in today's situation."
Th!nk requested the aid citing “urgent financial distress” due to a shortage of working capital. In the midst of the current global economic crisis, automotive start-ups are finding it increasingly difficult to secure private investment dollars.

“We are in a very serious situation.” Richard Canny
chief executive officer,Th!nk

In a case of electric car Darwinism, niche players like Th!nk, Tesla and Miles Electric Vehicles could fall by the wayside—while major auto manufacturers pursuing full battery-electric vehicles, most notably Nissan, could assume a dominant role in the burgeoning electric car market.
Th!nk halted production on Monday with hopes to resume normal operations soon after the government loan was approved on Tuesday. Now there’s no telling when or if the plant will begin building cars again. "We are in a very serious situation," said Richard Canny, chief executive officer, in a news conference this morning. He said the company will probably not survive without government intervention.
Just last week, Th!nk reported that it has been building eight to ten Th!nk City cars per day since October, with a full-scale production target of 44 vehicles per day by mid-2009. Those plans for growth—an oddly optimistic outlook coming one week before the company predicts its own demise—indicate a mismatch between high hopes and grim realities for today’s electric car companies.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/thnks-falters-electric-car-darwinism-25348.html

@DDB @TEG

in almost all cases, the investment returns for those who invest in startups come from a "liquidity event", which is usually an IPO, a merger or acquisition. These types of investors are generally not looking to get an "annuity" on their investment (i.e. they invest $10M with the expectation of a steady stream of interest at $1M a year) but rather expect a very large multiple on their investment (10-20X) or they expect the company to fail and they get nothing.

Thanks--that makes sense. God love those VCs for risking it. I still would like to see a Tesla IPO even in this market (I know, you're bound by NDAs), just to ensure (insure really) Tesla stays a going concern.

It would be nice to see Th!nk come out of this alive but the company needs to really get a grip on reality if it's going to succeed long term. For instance, you can't be announcing the beginning of production and sales and then go quiet for 9 months and then announce the begininning of production and sales without your credibility suffering.

Of course, offering what looks like a (maybe) $10,000 car for $28,000 along with a $200+ monthly battery lease fee hardly sounds like a business plan I'd be willing to invest my money in.

Yeah that's what I've been saying all along... They are a bit too expensive for me to consider them. In Norway they are priced similarily to the Toyota Yaris, and the Yaris has more seats and is pretty frugal. Their trim is on par with a Yaris and they are seeing only about 10-20% of the people on the waiting list has actually bought one. This might be because due to problems with their suppliers they can't offer power steering before january or the 2+2 seat options etc. So even in our EV friendly climate the Think City isn't really cheap, even though our Yaris is better speced than the US Yaris (ESP is standard f.inst.). Our feebate system is a lot more aggressive if the engine power is bigger, hence why the Roadster is for the performance it offers about 30% of the price of a similar gasoline car.

Having said that, I'm frequenting Norwegian EV boards as well and every one there that has bought the car says it's great. It's powerful enough to follow traffic on our highways, it's pretty comfortable and the range is relatively long.

So it seems people buying the Think and not expecting a Merc is happy.

And as I said above.... I expect Think to somehow survive as a producer, either being bought out or get goverment funding. Our interest rate just got slashed from 4,75% to 3,00% and the banks are starting to loan out money again, so they might get the loan they expected in the first place...

Cobos

The lawyer responsible for negotiating with Thinks creditors says that the negotiation is in the final phases and it seems Think will be able to get short-term financing. He assumes this will be resolved on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. That should give Think another few months, while they are trying to get more fresh capital. A bit like the Detroit 3 I suppose.
Source E24.

It also seems like think will allow people to buy the car INCLUDING battery by adding another 50 000NOK (on top of 200 000,-). You do not lease the battery then.

Cobos

Think gets grassroots, some new electric cars should be ready in January - AutoblogGreen

'There will be some cars on the market in January.'" So, that's positive. Leif has more information over at Electric A!d (he posts there as Leif Richard), where he and other are part of "Operation Th!nk," a grassroots effort to collect money for Th!nk. The idea is to use the donations to support "the only EV-Manufacturer in the world who has an electric car that is commercial[ly] available today."

It seems Think is running again. Supposedly they did get the 40 million kroner (about $6 million) emergency loan which will let them keep their doors open. They should be able to move out of goverment protection from their creditors and got some time to get new money. The state's investment fund, Innovasjon Norge (which got it's capital greatly increased as part of our stimulus package) has also given signs that they would look favorable to any loan guarantee application from Think.
Source E24.

Cobos