Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas - Tesla Electric Vanished from App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, so I live in Texas where Tesla Electric is offered. All of my immediate neighbors are using it with their Powerwalls and I even verified my ESID and address whenever I was offered to join Tesla Electric for Cars. However, since getting my Powerwalls, I've yet to see the offering to join Tesla Electric for Powerwall users in the app and the option to enroll in Tesla Electric for Cars vanished.

Is there some trick to getting this thing to show up? My system is showing in the app and functional, I've tried logging out and back in, reinstalled the app, tried reaching out to their support just to keep getting looped in their multi hour long wait times with no luck.

Humm. I was looking at this a couple of days ago... did I jinx it? :eek:

Where you live, @RockGuitarist1 ? Not all of Texas is in this VPP project (yet)

For everyone who wonders:

Texas Gov PDF document here

Reactions: petit_bateau
Humm. I was looking at this a couple of days ago... did I jinx it? :eek:

Where you live, @RockGuitarist1 ? Not all of Texas is in this VPP project (yet)

For everyone who wonders:

Texas Gov PDF document here

I live in the suburbs of Austin. All of my immediate neighbors are on Tesla Electric and I confirmed in app that I qualified as well. I was just waiting for my current contract to end before switching and when I went to finally do it, the banner was gone.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Had my powerwalls installed 45 days ago and hesitating to join Tesla Electric program. I am hesitant to jump on because their rates is currently higher than mine (their rate is at 7.7 off peak and 12.4 peak currently in Houston, while my rate is 5.4...all before TDU's 5.4). My contract expires next year in May and there is very little chance it will be that low. Only downside I do not get paid or even netmetered for my production sent to the grid. Changing plan to be netmetered would raise my rate to 11 right now with my provider... I am modeling my daily consumption from last year and the production of my panels I am landing in a slightly positive outcome to keep my current plan. But this is based on wrong assumptions that I would only send to the grid when my powerwall is full. So, my questions for current Texas TE customers:
  1. does TE drain your battery ONLY when export rates are higher than peak rates PLUS TDU (12.4+5.4=17.8)? This means that I would be ok to drain as drawing from grid in peak rate would still be cheaper than what I got paid for my export
  2. can you still control 100% your backup reserve? When it is stormy, I always raise it from my normal 20% to 80% or max depending on sun forecast following day. In the summer I would keep it probably full on days with risk of severe weather. The Storm Watch does not work, I tested it, so I want the ability to manually control my backup reserve.
  3. does TE charge the battery on top of solar production during day time low rate in the intent to drain it during peak time to maximize trading margin? The reason I ask is that during the winter months my battery gets full every day, but my model tells me that by June it will not fill up fully anymore and during July and August it won't refill at all probably. My daily summer consumption is about 140-200 while planned production is 80. So I could imagine TE filling up my batteries from the grid and draining them around 4pm when rate spike. Obviously ok, as long as filling up rate (probably non-peak) + TDU is lower than export rate.
Thanks a lot!