Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite some people's uncertainty about the Falcon doors, I strongly believe they will help sell more of them vs. the number of people they might lose because of them.

I also think they will release a roof rack capability--perhaps one door will stay closed and only the other side will open. (After all, most people rarely use roof racks for hauling stuff around).

I'd have assumed the same had they not advertised Model X as minivan-level utility and 911-level performance. How does it offer minivan-level utility without 3rd row being standard? :D

I'd always assumed it would be optional, like the kids' seats on the S. And a third row is something I don't need, so I'll probably pass. I'd rather have the room. Unless getting that flat interior in the back requires the third row.

I also assume the "Hello Kitty" interior will be a premium upgrade. :)

Did anybody else notice that the top pic of the email showed a Model X with regular side mirrors but the bottom pic in the email showed a Model X with side cameras.

My guess is that side mirrors vs side cameras will be an option. Side mirrors free, but side cameras as an upgrade.

even though I love the idea of the side cameras, I believe it's just that they are not using images consistently. the email team is not paying detailed attention to it :)

Did anybody else notice that the top pic of the email showed a Model X with regular side mirrors but the bottom pic in the email showed a Model X with side cameras.

My guess is that side mirrors vs side cameras will be an option. Side mirrors free, but side cameras as an upgrade.

I'm not sure that the new picture is different from the old one, it's taken from such an oblique angle it's pretty hard for me to really get a feel for the layout.

Without the optional 3rd row seats I'm hoping there will be a lot of room for the second row for long distance travel with adults sitting back there. IMHO the second row of the S isn't really very comfortable.

Third row as optional is definitely a disappointment.

I don't know one other luxury SUV/CUV in this class that makes the third row optional. It's literally unheard of.

Don't want them? Fine, offer a delete option. But charging extra for a major component of the vehicle feels dishonest to me. Just admit that the price for the car went up instead of removing what should be standard equipment.

Anyone remember how long before production, signature owners were allowed to test drive a Model S? Model S first delivery was in July 2012. When did signature owners first get to test drive them?

I'm just wondering when we will finally get to see, feel, sit and drive a production Model X.

Third row as optional is definitely a disappointment.

I don't know one other luxury SUV/CUV in this class that makes the third row optional. It's literally unheard of.

Don't want them? Fine, offer a delete option. But charging extra for a major component of the vehicle feels dishonest to me. Just admit that the price for the car went up instead of removing what should be standard equipment.

No price has been announced. No options have been announced. Nothing was promised. Nothing. Jumping to 'dishonest' seems just a wee bit premature.

I don't know of one other luxury SUV/CUV in this class that is all electric and has the kind of instant torque that the X will have. See? Not everything has to be exactly the same as before.

Sorry if I seem grumpy, but c'mon. Saying it feels dishonest before anything is even out there seems really a bit much.

- - - Updated - - -

Standard AWD.....good
Optional 3rd Row.....good

Just waiting for them to announce a bigger battery option so I can keep my reservation.

That would be awesome. The bigger battery. And you keeping your reservation, of course!

So, base model is now official a 4-seater?

5-seater. 2nd row has 3 seats, 3rd row has 2.

tesla-model-x-second-row-seats.jpg