Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, your air conditioning is awesome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AC in the MS has a variable speed motor on the compressor. Gasoline cars have a belt that goes to the compressor. No drippage? Low humidity maybe? Mine dumps so much water out on a humid day it's as if it's got a garden hose connected to it @_@

mine too. there is a ton of water each day on the epoxy floor, much more so than my ICE and hybrid ICE. i wasn't sure if it was normal. i might put a small tray or something to catch the water every day because the puddle spills out to the passenger side and i don't want my kids slipping or getting wet shoes in the car!

Reading this it seems I must have driven a different car. AC performance was barely okay in front row, bad in second row and totally unacceptable for the rear facing seats. The A/C of any $20k petrol car is better than that of the Model S. Maybe I was just unlucky but people did make jokes about how madly the A/C works in 100F weather here in Northern California.

Reading this it seems I must have driven a different car. AC performance was barely okay in front row, bad in second row and totally unacceptable for the rear facing seats. The A/C of any $20k petrol car is better than that of the Model S. Maybe I was just unlucky but people did make jokes about how madly the A/C works in 100F weather here in Northern California.

Do you have your MS set on Range Mode? I understand that mode will limit the power of the HVAC.

You must have driven a different car. My AC is so good you can chill meat in my car. When I pre-cool, the temperature drops from 95 to 75 within 10 minutes. I have no trouble keeping the car comfortable in range mode when it's over 105 outside. The Model S has the best and most powerful AC of any car that I've owned. Yes, it's loud from the outside, but that is because it has a very powerful scroll compressor and the car has to cool not just the interior cabin, but also a 1,500 lb liquid cooled battery.

I agree. Sounds like something it's wrong. I too find that the AC works great albeit a little loud. As I drive around locally mostly, I've taken the car out of Range Mode and the AC can get the car to subzero in a matter of minutes. I do find there is a great deal of shift though in the temperature range. It seems like it may overshoot the set point.

Hmm is it possible Tesla quietly updated the A/C system? Awesome is not a word I would choose to describe the A/C in my car. It's one thing I don't love. First row is ok, 2nd is weak, and third is terrible.

Hmm is it possible Tesla quietly updated the A/C system? Awesome is not a word I would choose to describe the A/C in my car. It's one thing I don't love. First row is ok, 2nd is weak, and third is terrible.

My A/C is weak to horrid. Set for 67 for hours of travel when it's sunny and 76 outside. Inside 79 first row according to Tesla app.

I have driven a loaner an 85P, the A/C was incredible. I have complained was told that's normal.

I found today that I had my vents pointed a bit too much towards the center of the car which, of course I now realize, cuts down the air flow. Much better now ;)

I do find the AC to be very powerful, but, automatic temperature seems awful.

Also, it appears from the controls that you can only select either dash vents or floor vents. My wife really wants to have both on at the same time. Also, a little disappointing that dual controls are only temperature but not the air flow. My Infiniti provided fully separate controls for driver and passenger.

I remotely set the AC to LO once while it was parked in the sun in 95F weather. When I got to the car not long after there was so much condensation on the outside of the windows (windshield, front two, and rear hatch) that I had to actually cut it off and wait a bit... no complaints here.

To get the AC working to a comfortable level, the first thing to do is ignore the temperature. I've found that with 90 to 100 degree temps outside, I need to set the car to 67 to 69 to be "comfortable".

The second thing is to take advantage of the ability to pre-cool the car before entering. About 10 to 15 minutes before going to the car, I'll start the air conditioning using the app on my smartphone. And because I have a pano roof, if I'm sure it's not raining, I'll also vent the roof. When I do this, by the time I get to the car, it's already very comfortable.

But even if I forget to do this, I haven't found the AC performance to be any worse than my previous ICEs. If the car has been closed (no windows cracked open or the roof opened for venting), it is very hot when I get in the car. If I drive with the windows rolled up, it takes a while for the interior temperature to drop enough to be comfortable. I can speed that up by rolling the windows down for a minute or two to get the "superheated" air out of the cabin - and once that's done the car cools down at a reasonable pace. And I haven't noticed this is any different than previous cars.

The big difference is the ability to pre-cool the car using the smartphone app - which helps - a lot!

To get the AC working to a comfortable level, the first thing to do is ignore the temperature. I've found that with 90 to 100 degree temps outside, I need to set the car to 67 to 69 to be "comfortable".

The second thing is to take advantage of the ability to pre-cool the car before entering. About 10 to 15 minutes before going to the car, I'll start the air conditioning using the app on my smartphone. And because I have a pano roof, if I'm sure it's not raining, I'll also vent the roof. When I do this, by the time I get to the car, it's already very comfortable.

But even if I forget to do this, I haven't found the AC performance to be any worse than my previous ICEs. If the car has been closed (no windows cracked open or the roof opened for venting), it is very hot when I get in the car. If I drive with the windows rolled up, it takes a while for the interior temperature to drop enough to be comfortable. I can speed that up by rolling the windows down for a minute or two to get the "superheated" air out of the cabin - and once that's done the car cools down at a reasonable pace. And I haven't noticed this is any different than previous cars.

The big difference is the ability to pre-cool the car using the smartphone app - which helps - a lot!
'

Totally agree with you on the A/C temp and using the app to pre-cool the car. Living in Hawaii, my A/C is always on. When it's really hot, I hesitate cranking it because of the loud noise the A/C makes. My one complaint about the S is that the A/C system isn't as strong as other luxury cars i've owned.