Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Web Based Trip Planner biased towards Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk announced his intention several years ago to anti-sell the Model 3. The Web Based Trip planner is a case in point.

I noticed when planning trips to the beach that the LR Model 3 was only marginally cheaper than a gasoline car while S and X cars saved a bundle. I suspected a bias in the estimates. I discovered the web based trip planner will also estimate savings for your local commute. My commute is 38 miles each way so I ran this through the trip planner.

For any Model S or X my estimated monthly commuter savings is calculated as $214/month. Not a bad estimate, my calculations show me saving $180/month with my LEAF (using sightly different assumptions). Close enough to be happy the S and X estimates are pretty accurate. Certainly within the bounds of reasonableness.

For the LR Model 3 the estimate is for only $39/month savings over a 21 mpg gasoline car!! I call BS on this tool, the Model 3 should be at least as efficient as the S or X, and I'd expect it to be marginally better, not grossly worse. The tool correctly identifies that SC is not necessary for the daily commute, this eliminates the cost advantage of S and X models have with free SC vs paid SC. The differences if any should be based on estimated Wh per mile for each vehicle.

The tool is clearly anti-selling the model 3's cost savings by a huge margin to the point of being useless in calculating cost savings over a gasoline vehicle.

Reactions: adaptabl
Or maybe if you look at the help, the trip charges for the S and X assume free Supercharging. (look at the blue I next to the cost)
Also, the calculator uses $0.26 per kWh instead of the actual Supercharger rates, which can be a lot lower.

So I don' t think that there are any conspiracy theories here.

• Disagree
Or maybe if you look at the help, the trip charges for the S and X assume free Supercharging. (look at the blue I next to the cost)
Also, the calculator uses $0.26 per kWh instead of the actual Supercharger rates, which can be a lot lower.

So I don' t think that there are any conspiracy theories here.

Yeah read the help before posting.

Free SC doesn't apply to commute distances, the tool itself indicates no SC required. So that's a wash.

26c/kWh? Yep read that too. So how can the S and X do the commute so much more cheaply if I am using either my home charging/public charging unit to commute with and no SC? The cost to charge without SC is the same regardless of Tesla model (or should be)

I read the help. Please read my post.

Use the tool to do a commute from your home. Then explain the differencebetween the M3 and other Tesla models..

I would guess that the S/X’s gas savings are relative to a comparable gas car like a S550 or GLS550 while the model 3 would be comparing to a reasonable premium sedan like the A4 which gets at least 50% better highway gas mileage?

Yeah read the help before posting.

Free SC doesn't apply to commute distances, the tool itself indicates no SC required. So that's a wash.

26c/kWh? Yep read that too. So how can the S and X do the commute so much more cheaply if I am using either my home charging/public charging unit to commute with and no SC? The cost to charge without SC is the same regardless of Tesla model (or should be)

I read the help. Please read my post.

Use the tool to do a commute from your home. Then explain the differencebetween the M3 and other Tesla models..

I think the tool is adding the total distance of your commute for a month (5 days a week) and take into account that you will need to do an X amount of charges in that month. So even though a one day commute does not require supercharging, it still adds your total free supercharging to the month's saving for the S/X.

I think if you add up the miles of your commute in a month and plan a long trip to travel that same distance you will see the same saving displayed for S/X vs 3.

I would guess that the S/X’s gas savings are relative to a comparable gas car like a S550 or GLS550 while the model 3 would be comparing to a reasonable premium sedan like the A4 which gets at least 50% better highway gas mileage?

That occurred to me too.

In the help, for a Model S/X it says. "Gasoline cost assumes 21 MPG at $2.73 per gallon."
For Model 3 it uses 27 mpg instead at the same cost per gallon. So for a 360 mile weekly commute that's a difference of about 4 gallons of gas, or about $12 for the week, $50 for the month. Doesn't explain the $175 difference in the calculator. Still doesn't add up.

With my LEAF I assume 25 mpg and save $180.

Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
I think the tool is adding the total distance of your commute for a month (5 days a week) and take into account that you will need to do an X amount of charges in that month. So even though a one day commute does not require supercharging, it still adds your total free supercharging to the month's saving for the S/X.

I think if you add up the miles of your commute in a month and plan a long trip to travel that same distance you will see the same saving displayed for S/X vs 3.

You are probably right.

So back to my topic title. The calculator is biased.

I did an ultimate silly route to test the theory that the tool adds up all commuter trips into one big trip for the month.

My wife's work is 1.4 miles from home. So if I calculate the monthly commuter savings for this trip the Model S saves $8/Month while the Model 3 just $1/Month.

Even if we assume 31 return trips per month, that's less than a single charge for the Model 3 or Model S.

Definitely biased.