Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gone from Model 3 to Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lease is up on my Model 3 in September and I'm planning to just buy a used model outright given that the lease costs massively outweigh any salary sacrifice saving (assuming the insurance isn't £20,000/year).

In the price bracket I'm looking at I can have a 2022 Model 3 LR, or a 2019 Model S 100D. Obviously warranty / modernity / software updates etc apply to the Model 3, but is the comfort step-up worth it for the Model S? Does it have the same bangin' stereo for me tunes? Is Autopilot camera or radar based? Any charging hiccups? I'd be getting one with the CCS upgrade.

I've had both a Model S and Model 3. Model 3 drives far better, much more nimble, Model S is like a boat in comparison, a comfortable one at that. Model S feels alot bigger and has the legacy screen setup. Personally I prefer the new 3 over the older S.

Model S is super practical due to its size and hatchback configuration. It's also very smooth and I think stylish. I tried the latest model 3 and although a nice drive it felt cramped compared to the S.

I prefer the S--and although a solid and generally reliable car (there's a 2016 UK airport run model S with 600k on the clock ), you've got to be brave to take one out of warranty

Model S is super practical due to its size and hatchback configuration. It's also very smooth and I think stylish. I tried the latest model 3 and although a nice drive it felt cramped compared to the S.

I prefer the S--and although a solid and generally reliable car (there's a 2016 UK airport run model S with 600k on the clock ), you've got to be brave to take one out of warranty
Isn't the battery cost out of warranty something like £25k?

I had both (M3 was replaced with MY so now have MS (Raven) & MY)

Always take the MS on long journeys. More comfortable, and spacious. Hatchback convenient for "chuck everything we need in"

M3 drove like a hot hatch, rather than a barge. MY not so much (but has hatchback, which was our reason for changing)

(I think that any comparison with an MS which is pre-Raven would not be as relevant)

It comes down to personal preference and needs. We just gave our 2018 model 3 to another family member and got a 2024 model S. Did it for comfort (no comparison - ride is awesome) and space (no longer "sharing" the armrest is nice). Range was a modest consideration, but with superchargers everywhere, it is almost a "who cares". Would I do it again - yup - the MS is now our "road trip" car.