Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Tesla Supercharging Cost per kWh: What Number to Use for TeslaFi and Other Data Loggers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning All,

Curious to know what number/average people use to estimate their supercharging cost?

Have both a S and X with some variation of FUSC (i.e. don't have an easy way to query supercharging prices as the cars do not show prices) so don't have a clear grasp on what the costs are.

For the past years I've just assumed the 'cost saved' would be whatever my average kWh charging cost at home would be - typically $0.1x/kWh - but seems SC costs are closer to the $0.3x range, suggesting I'm using the wrong number to calculate cost savings.

Obviously cost can differ by peak/off peak usage as well as metric (kWh vs. time) but in broad generalities I'm wondering if there's a generally accepted rough estimate for average kWh costs based on average Super Charger usage by average drivers (i.e. those charging what they need to charge to when they need to charge and not waiting till 1am all the time to score off peak pricing).

Thanks!

Not quite answering your question but inTeslaFi you can download the actual price you paid by clicking a button on the TeslaFi page, on the supercharging row. No guesses, you get the real price you paid. But you need to do it per row.
Thanks @GtiMart - the issue I've got is when charging under FUSC no prices are shown...Tesla does not furnish a doc or provide info (that I'm aware of) saying 'in this SC session you use $11.4 of energy and received a discount of ($11.4)'.

Even in the car when you click on a SC location prices are hidden; you'll be able to see the usage, how many stalls, max kWh, idle fees but no reference to cost to charge.

Reason I ask this is back in early 2017 when I setup my TeslaFi account all SC'ing was gratis so the 'cost savings' number I entered was basically the cost I would have paid at home to charge.

In the subsequent six years with pay-as-you-go SC'ing becoming norm, and until people started posting pics of what rates were, I had no grasp of what it cost...and what was a poor estimate in 2017 is just flat out wrong in 2023.

This takes me back to the TeslaFi question in terms of trying figure out what the average cost would be to the average user driving and charging with average behavior (i.e. not getting up at 1am to drive to a supercharger for the off peak rates).

It's curious, even a bit misleading that TeslaFi shows 'savings' instead of actual cost for the charging. I have no idea where that number comes from and don't really care. I want to know the actual cost. Seems like most Tesla Superchargers cost about $0.44 per kwh.
It would be nice to see the real numbers!! @TeslaFi

You can configure TeslaFi with an equivalent fuel cost and it will then tell you how much you saved compared to that gas car. It's not that relevant indeed. It's difficult to enter a single value for charging. Instead you can tell TeslaFi to fetch your actual invoice price for supercharging. There's something you can click when you look at your charging session after the fact...

Thanks @GtiMart . I see how to get the info after the fact. It would be nice to have a setting to do that automatically. Doing it row by row is a nuisance.
Its in settings.. Settings/Account/Supercharging. Check "Automatically Download Supercharge Invoices"

1694995282032.png